Large Scale Central

M&M RR Church

Modeling a local church that was brick originally, many years ago they put aluminum siding on it.

Started framing, made some trusses for the roof, figured it would be easier then trying to hold up a ridge beam and the roof rafter to nail them.

2 Likes

how did you make the spire? pretty cool

Used my band saw, cut the tapers square then adjusted the table to 45 degrees and cut the corners off. Sanded it after I took the picture to smooth up the saw marks some in preparation for the sheets of slate shingles.

1 Like

Framing is done, installed some stained glass. It helps that my wife does stained glass.

2 Likes

I love it!!

Spires,witches caps,turrets ain’t the easiest thing to model .

2 Likes

Wow ! Mark and Rooster, you both do some very nice work!
Rooster, first time I have seen the construction pictures of your place.!

Pete,
I just recently went back and fixed that thread as best as I could.

Thats a beautiful house/model. I did look at the old post too. :+1:t2:

This is what I got from Hobby Link, the picture on there web site showed it looking like real brick, not all one color, also didn’t say you needed to paint it to make it look like the picture.

This is what we got after painting.

2 Likes

Slate roof it was a white sheet of plastic, and that is what we ordered. I painted the gray and the wife painted the high lites.

2 Likes

That slate looks great! It really looks like individual pieces.

I wonder why they covered the brick building with aluminum siding?

I got the sheet of slate from Factory Direct a online doll house supply, its 1:24 scale.
I asked but none of the older members remember when it was done. The one pictures is the only one I can find of it when it was brick.

Great paint work. Looks tedious!

Fortunately my wife volunteered to paint them as I don’t have the patience, she used a paint pen and the big end is the same size as the brick, worked better the a brush. First I painted the whole thing with primer, let it dry, then used a scuff pad to take it off the brick and leave the mortar lines, we like the results better then wiping it off before it dried.