Large Scale Central

M&M Rail Road wood water tank

M&M is for Mark & Marie, wife and I are both doing the RR. We are going to have a steam locomotive so we need a water tank. Being a wood worker it will be made from wood. !

The bottom.

The tub.

Roof framing

Spout.

4 Likes

I love it already. I am a wood worker also so appreciate the marriage between the two hobbies. Right off I noticed the finial where the roof members join. Did you turn that or ???. And is this planned to be a functional water tower for your live steamers?

I did turn it, I am primarily a turner, if your on FB look up Turnings by Mark, its a part time business. We will not be having live steam, I would love to but I have seen how much they are I would be hard pressed to convince my RR partner to spend that much.

2 Likes

Mark I avoid Facebook as if it were a demon directly connected to the devil. So not a chance in heck in me seeing your work. But I hope I see more of it here. We have a category devoted to “other hobbies”. This is my only social media outlet. So p l ease start a turning thread on that category. I love turning and am but a humble amateur but turning is the the most gratifying form of wood working in my opinion.

I call FB the best mind numbing time wasting experience any one can have :laughing: . Only reason I am on FB is my family is in different states, makes it easier to see what they are all doing. I will put a thread on there for my turnings. I was looking there the other day too, will explore it more.

1 Like

I will look and pass on pictures to the expert in killing time

1 Like

Pete shared a Facebook picture. You are talented. You seemingly have a duplicator. My current lathe sucks. Need to get at least my shop Smith back up and running and get a duplicator for it. One goal I have is to turn a 4 post canopy bed.

what is a duplicator?
something similar to the way, how they reproduce keys?

Yes Korm almost exactly like a key duplicator. It’s a jig for a lathe that allows you to turn identical pieces. You can either use a 2d patter or a 3d turning. It has a “feeler” that follows a pattern or follows a previous turning and then has a corresponding knife that duplicates the pattern in a new blank. Allows you to precisely duplicate turnings. So if you need four legs or four posts you can easily

No duplicator, many hours of practices, in the beginning I had some not so good duplicates . I did start a thread in Other Hobbies with pictures. Thanks for the complements. I have made a couple beds will share pictures in the Hobbies thread.

1 Like

Posts under the tank, it will be set on a stone foundation.

Got some tiny chain and made a couple pulleys to raise and lower the spout.

1 Like

Good looking chain, where did you get it?

Ebay
It is very weak, you can’t pull on it, but works great for modeling.

1 Like

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004924445358.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.55.337e1802sc2Kki

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004418206111.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.67.337e1802sc2Kki

If you’re not in a rush, aliexpress is another option…

I found this at a craft store. Jax Blackner will turn it rusty…

and if you can’t find “blackener”, use a spilled raw egg. that turns sterling silver rusty.

I will have to check out the new Michels that just opened, when I need more, Walmart didn’t have anything.

Spout and pulleys are mocked up.
Working on the roof, hole is for a hatch door. Planing on wood shingles.

3 Likes

That’s gorgeous I am loving the wood working meets modeling

Thanks, I am having fun figuring out how and doing. I put rods around the tank today but not happy with them, going to try and get them tighter tomorrow.

1 Like