Large Scale Central

M&M Rail Road wood water tank

That’s scratch building. One of the funnest parts in my opinion is how to make functional parts to scale. Not always an easy task.

I made some functional bands. Was a bit of work but rewarding. I’ll see if I can dig up the thread or pictures. I used wire and threaded the ends. Soldered brass tubing to a strip. Ran the wire through the two pieces of tubing and then treaded on nuts. Ended up being “functional” rod straps. Functional in the sense that they could be tightened.

I’m gonna have to look on the computer. It was my 2016 MIK build. And the photos are gone. I’ll try and dig them up

Mark,
Depending how close you are going to look, at the water tank, zip ties can be really tight and the zip lock could be modelled to look like a turnbuckle.

That would be great if you can find them Devon, and greatly appreciated, I know what it’s like to look for pictures from years ago.
Bill I didn’t think about zip ties they would work too. I love you’re water tower with two tanks it’s different. What is the building attached to it used for ?

Years ago when I built my water tank I actually threaded the ends of brass wire to allow me to tighten the straps with small nuts. I apologize for the lack of detail due to weathering in this closeup photo.

Here’s a photo of the entire tank.

2 Likes

I will work on getting you the pics, Here is a picture of the basic design concept I followed. If you zoom in and squint you can see them.

water-tower

But the round bar/band is wrapped around the tank and then comes to where they connect and are tensioned. For that it is more or less two pipes attached together on a flat piece. if you notice they are at an angle also so that the nuts are accessible and not up against the other rod. They thread the end of the rods and feed them through the “pipe” and put on the nut. As you tighten the nuts they pull the rods in opposite directions tightening the rod.

For mine It was real simple. I found a suitable wire that I could thread to fit a nut. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the size. But I’d find a nut size you think looks right. I then found some brass tubing that the wire would fit through. I took two small pieces and soldiered them to a piece of brass strip at an angle. Then threaded the rod to fit the nut. Slip each end into the tubing and apply the nut and tighten.

On another note, forgive me if this is common knowledge but I didn’t know this. Each band is not just one rod with one tensioning “buckle” (have no idea what its called). At least on larger tanks. Each band had a few to several “buckles” and sections of rods. If you look the buckles are staggered also not in a vertical line. Just some things I picked up while trying to build a couple tanks.

That’s really good to know! I wanted to use smaller zip ties, but they wouldn’t get around my tanks.

1 Like

I saw a neat video about water tanks recently with Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about the bands and how they were placed. Their placement had to do with the weight of the water. He said at the top, say 500 gallons of water weighs less than the middle which has it’s own weight plus the 500 gallons above it so more straps where needed in the middle third than the top third. The bottom of the tank has the most weight pressing on it so that needed the most straps to hold it all together.

It looks like Don Watson followed this practice with his fine looking water tower.

2 Likes

Jim Rowson pointed this very thing out to me on the little 3D printed tank I made. Mine were evenly spaced and he caught the mistake and pointed out they became closer together at the bottom.

The one I am basing my water tank on shows the bands are three inches apart for three bands the nine inches and as they go up they get spaced out more to 20 inches at the top. This is a 24 foot tank says the capacity is 47000 gallons.

I am changing my bands to 10 ga. wire, sure is fun to thread it, wants to bend, only threading one end the other end will be soldered to the “Hoop Lug”, that is what they are calling them.
Thanks for the ideas and pictures. Mark

New and improved hoops and hoop lugs.

1 Like

That works. Looks great. If I can interject just a bit of suggestion, that would be to nip off the ends of the threaded rod some.

With extreme close up pics the eyes catch what normally wouldn’t be seen. But the ends of the threaded rods look strangely long to me. But I say that only because I am “looking” at then from 5 inches away not five feet. So don’t give it a thought unless you really want to. I am sure it will not at all be noticeable once done, painted, and on the layout.

I agree with you they are long and I will be trimming them, once I am sure I won’t be moving them for some unknown reason. :wink:

1 Like

They do look great. It’s coming out nice. How did you end up making the lugs. You painted them so it’s difficult to see what you made them out of.

Flat Brass and tubing. Here is my soldering jig.

1 Like

Oh nice. That’s a clever take on it. Great job.

Made some progress on the water tank. Still need a water level gage.

2 Likes

Geez that looking great also. Between the bridge and the tank you are getting some very nice work done.

Thanks it is fun too.