Has anyone found a rattle can close to Pennsylvania brown or tuscan or whatever?
Doesn’t have to be an exact.
When I did my CVRR motor car. The PRR was in the process of taking over the CVRR and this car was in Tuscan. CVRR Electric Motor Car #15
I used Rustoleum Kona Brown in a rattle can available at HD. It only comes in gloss and I would have preferred a semi or flat however I toned it down a bit with chalk weathering.
I went out to the shop and took some pics for you of an Aristo PA shell with the two colors I have that I will call Tuscan. The Kona brown is about as close as I could come with anything in a “cheap” rattle can. The other color is Claret Wine (Rustoleum) that was the color I originally chose but didn’t really like. If you want a “TRUE” match I’m 100% positive the PRR museum in Strasburg had the color custom made at the Sherwin Williams…with the information they have…lol
Yes, but I wasn’t happy with the gloss finish. Don’t matter cause I sold that unit for a $50 loss!

BTW… Thank you for making me dig that old thread back up…Great read with fallen flags that I truly miss here. But I was impressing myself thinking how the hell did I do that. However I think most of the information is there. lol
Don’t pay for the Scale Coat.
Kinda like this shot (pre vinyl lettering) so I guess it’s not that glossy.
Nothing to see here, carry on.

I’ll throw some dull cote on it after I decal.
I hope the stuff doesn’t crinkle or separate.
(I’ve been thru that before)

Try it on a scrap piece of plastic first. Would be bad to mess up an entire paint job. Been there too.
I usually do that, Jon. But sometimes it slips past me.
I’m in such a hurry, I don’t let the paint dry long enough before I flat cote it. 
My last Bachmann coach repaint fish eyed and crinkled. Heck with it. I just left it as is. Nobody will se it from 10 feet. 
Rustoleum is famous for that. Back when I got paid to work, I used a lot of Rustoleum spray paint. It has a minimum 24 hour re-coat time. You can do a second coat of the same within 2 hours (see the label) or wait for it to completely flash. That can sometimes take 48 hours depending on humidity.
Two names that may work, “Primer Red Oxide” or “Ruddy Brown Primer”. You can find the Ruddy Brown in flat and low gloss.
I’ve been looking for rust effect for a while. This is good to know.
EDIT: I couldn’t find that primer here but I stumbled across this website. They are made in Germany.
“Ruddy Brown” isn’t a branded color. It’s just what they call any red oxide.





