Large Scale Central

Long Caboose

I bought one of Andrè’s “semi-kits” - this one is for a peaked roof long caboose, based on a D&RGW prototype. The kit consists of several pieces of clear acrylic - floor, sides, ends, roof pieces and roof braces. There are openings cut for the windows, but I wanted to use the clear acrylic for my windows. I reversed the pieces so that my wood siding covered the holes, for the most part. I ended up having to fill one set of window holes with clear acrylic. After assembly of the basic body, I glued scribed sheathing in place. As I progressed, I cut opening in the siding.

After the siding is in place, I frame each window with some strip wood pieces.

Then, I add in the window frames.

The process continues for the doors as well.

I cut the end sills out of some wood I had and notched them to accept the couplers. I drilled holes for the railings and soldered a flat bar across the top. Actually, there’s holes in the top bar, but you really can’t see them after it’s filed down.

For the ladders, I cut 4 bars to length; taped them together and used the press to drill 5 holes for the rungs.

I pinned these in place on my soldering pad and put the rungs in place.

I added some rods at the top of each ladder. Later, these will be bent over the roof of the caboose. I figured these would be much easier to hold onto than the bent bar stock. I soldered a top bar to the ladder and to the other vertical railing piece.

Nice start Bruce

What adhesive are you using for the siding to the acrylic?

Very nice Bruce. Andre did a good job on the acrylic skeleton too. Looks like we’ll have to educate him about the windows though. hehe!

Looking good so far.

What is your “soldering pad”?

Thanks.

Sorry David, I used Welder for attaching the siding to the acrylic :wink: (No commission for you!)

Ray, that’s a ceramic fiber pad I got from Micro-Mark. Obviously, the torch has got a bit too close at times. No marks with the iron or the gun.

Guess I’m gonna have to try out the Welder I still have in the package and compare.
Nice kit and nice build so far!

Bruce - details of the ‘kit’ please - I’m a sucker for cabeese, me. Must have fifteen or twenty of 'em. Built the Sheridan short version from Jonathon Bliese a while back and love it to bits.

Can I send somebody pics to post for me if I ask nicely?

Best to all

tac
www.ovgrs.org

PS - Oregon get ready - we’re on our waaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

You can send’em here if ya want, tac.

I cheated and bought one at the show…(already put together)…:wink:

Ken bought something at the show? A true sign the recession is over and real change has taken hold :o

EDIT to add: If Andy Didn’t buy something at the show, it would be a true sign of deep depression.

I musta sneaked it by ya when ya wasn’t lookin…:wink:

I bought the same caboose but haven’t gotten to tackle it yet. The MOW I’m working on will have ties to Jon. I bought a log kit from Jon many years ago and never put it together. I took some of it’s parts (including some nice metal trucks) and am using them.
I’ll have to send him a photo when it’s done or show it to him. I need to make a visit to his house.

tac.
Andrè has all the information here: http://www.lakesalteredimages.com/Prices.html
The kit provides a form to build upon, much like his boxcar kit. It’s up to you to add detail. For mine, I decided I didn’t want holes where the windows are so I cut out the holes. :wink:

I’m using 1/16" scribed siding to cover the acrylic. I will use some 1/8" thick styrene for the main roof, though there is acrylic provided. The advantage of this type of construction is that it’s very sturdy (and heavy) and all the cuts have been made for you so it’s easier to get a nice square sides and ends. I did cut my side down a bit as I wanted my own version of the endsill as well as thinner ends for the platform.

Let me know if there’s anything else you want to know.

Ken Brunt said:
You can send'em here if ya want, tac.

I cheated and bought one at the show…(already put together)…:wink:

Thanks, Ken - I’ll take some nice clear shots tomorra if it isn’t raining [again]. The others I took during the building area mite cluttered up…

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Bruce Chandler said:
tac. Andrè has all the information here: http://www.lakesalteredimages.com/Prices.html The kit provides a form to build upon, much like his boxcar kit. It's up to you to add detail. For mine, I decided I didn't want holes where the windows are so I cut out the holes. ;)

I’m using 1/16" scribed siding to cover the acrylic. I will use some 1/8" thick styrene for the main roof, though there is acrylic provided. The advantage of this type of construction is that it’s very sturdy (and heavy) and all the cuts have been made for you so it’s easier to get a nice square sides and ends. I did cut my side down a bit as I wanted my own version of the endsill as well as thinner ends for the platform.

Let me know if there’s anything else you want to know.

Thanks a bunch, Bruce, much obliged to ya. :slight_smile:

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Liked that ladder Bruce, will rmember that.

I used some 1/8" thick styrene for the main roof, and some .060" styrene for the cupola roof. Both are covered with a thin fabric to represent a canvas roof.

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/Caboose/LongCaboose/IMG_7654.JPG)

I’m still not happy with the top of the ladders. The prototype had both pieces curved over, but this would make it difficult to get over to the roofwalk. So, I trimmed the left vertical piece a bit shorter.

Looking great as usual Bruce! Now I have to redo the one I am working on, way too small, was working off GR plans and then figured out it was for Maine 2’ gauge. hehe

Bruce Chandler said:
I'm still not happy with the top of the ladders. The prototype had both pieces curved over, but this would make it difficult to get over to the roofwalk. So, I trimmed the left vertical piece a bit shorter.
Maybe it needs a platform extending to the front of the ladder.

Possible on the prototype they would have sidestepped to the roofwalk from the ladder, thereby eliminating the awkward ladder end problem?