Large Scale Central

Locomotive Work Cradle

Well, with the recent passing of Chuck Inlow, finding a locomotive work cradle is even more difficult.

I have one from the good old days, but the manufacturer is long gone:

Chuck’s were very similar:

Saw this in the smaller scales, would be cool in large scale: (and perhaps someone with a laser or water jet could make one from plexi, and it could be shipped flat)

Anyone got any sources?

Greg

Greg. Check out the video on - TrainWorld Visits PIKO America! Join Us On The PIKO Tour!.. At about the 4:50 mark he breifly talks about one.

Jason

Yeah, he has a low-sided wooden box with a slot in the foam. You can see it clearly and completely as he spins the turntable below.

But:

• Won’t work for long locos,
  • can’t tilt to work at different angles
  • cannot work on the side of the loco
  • not adjustable

So, I’m looking for something like the pictures I posted…

True. I’m looking for something for steam loco‘s too. I’ll be keeping my eye on this post.

Jason

If you want a dedicated carrier for a single locomotive, I have seen some clever designs where you have basically a long box, and the sides flip upwards and can make a u shaped area the length of the loco, i.e. a built in holder. It covers the sides of the loco though, and I would think access to one side to check valve gear would be helpful.

With the top 2 designs you see, it’s easy to access either side and the top, or either side and the bottom.

I may pull mine apart and duplicate it, Christmas is coming up, and presents will be in order.

Greg

Put me on Greg’s Xmas list Santa! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Well, when I build one, I will build several, and I can note the dimensions, but it’s pretty simple… looks like I will need a dado blade for the saw though.

May have to make a small tool to cut the curved slot the tension knob slides through.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Well, when I build one, I will build several, and I can note the dimensions, but it’s pretty simple… looks like I will need a dado blade for the saw though.

May have to make a small tool to cut the curved slot the tension knob slides through.

Greg

The locomotive cradle you showed a couple of post back is one of the “oldies, but goodies” cradle’s. I bought a real hardwood cradle from Dan Patterson about 8-9 years ago. Had nice dovetail work on the corners of the box and was perfect to handle my Accucraft C19. Was only about $50-$60 + shipping then. I don’t know if he is still around. North Carolina I believe. I’ll see if I can get a photo of it and post.

Dan’s still around. He’s made loco carriers, cradles and I bought a few switch throws off him.

He lives out in Illinois or Missouri, not sure which, but I see him at Andy’s every year.

Excellent craftsmanship, maybe Andy or Ric knows if he still makes them.

He’s around! I’ll send him a note to get on this site to see if he wants to get involved in a project.

I’m In

Yep, be happy to purchase a few too… thanks guys!

I never did get a cradle from Chuck but I did get him to spit out the parts to one of his carriers. With his CNC router he was able to produce them quick and easy. I should think the cradle would be fairly easy to produce for those of us with the tools. I need one. Maybe I will make one up and see how it goes. Nothing difficult in that design. But with my health I make no promises what so ever about availability. Like Greg if I make one I will make several as once set up is done it doesn’t take long to make multiple sets.

Hey guys, I just heard from Ric Golding about the interest in work cradles. I’m still available for orders for the cradles and engine carriers. The cradles are $55.00 plus S&H. The carriers are $225.00 and ramps are $25.00. Any one interested can contact me at [email protected]

Dan Patterson said:

Hey guys, I just heard from Ric Golding about the interest in work cradles. I’m still available for orders for the cradles and engine carriers. The cradles are $55.00 plus S&H. The carriers are $225.00 and ramps are $25.00. Any one interested can contact me at [email protected]

Dan,

Do you have any photos? Dimensions?

Love to have a few pics, would put them up on my site so people could see them and get the contact info.

My friend Dave Stubbs contacted you Dan, so we’ll probably be making an order soon.

Greg

Pete Thornton said:

Dan,

Do you have any photos? Dimensions?

I don’t have any dimensions but I think I have pictures somewhere…He doe’s awesome work for the price…he had some walnut carriers I saw a few years ago

I got out my old loco cradle I purchased from Dan Patterson maybe 8-10 years ago. It’s NEVER been used! I bought it about the same time I built my oak carrying box for my “bashed” Bachmann Connie. This cradle made it easy to service and oil-up the Baker valve gear on my engine.

Dan’s “signature” in the bottom of the cradle.

Dan made an oak wood ramp that fits over the code 250 rail made by Sunset Valley. There are grooves on the bottom of my carraige box and that locks onto the rail. Just set the box on a staright section of track, slide Dan’s ramp up to the end of the box and drive the engine and tender right onto the mainline (I’m battery power) :).

Dan is a great woodworker and can custom build to what you want or need.

Well, he may be a great carpenter but his online presence seems a bit lacking. I sent an email which probably ended up in his spam. He hasn’t replied to the post here with any photos.

Would someone who communicates with him tell him I want to buy something??