Large Scale Central

Locomotive plumbing

I am working on designing the plumbing for my newest locomotive. Since doing the 2-6-0 I got a pretty decent idea of what the basic plumbing in a locomotive is; but I am changing things up a bit and adding a few things. Basically I need to start design the back head and the turret. So here are the items on the loco that will need to be plumbed. If people want to chime in with other items I need to have or plumbing routing it would be great.

Injectors: First, I know that most locomotives have one on each side for filling the boiler. To plumb it you need to have a cold water line from the tank tot he injector and then from the injector to the boiler with a check valve. You also need a steam line off the turret to the injector and then a overflow/drain line. That’s it for a boiler feed right?

Blower: Fireman’s side just a valve off the turret or boiler itself that runs forward to the smoke box.

Brakes: I need help here. Before I did an Eames vacuum system, I have now switched to the Westinghouse system. From what I understand of it is there needs to be a steam line off the turret to the turbine side of the brake compressor (is that the top or bottom of the unit) and then an exhaust into the smoke box? And then a cold air inlet line with filter and an outlet that runs to the tank. From the tank it goes to the brake lever and then to the brake cylinders and to the glad hands. I do know there are good diagrams on google that I will check out.

Dynamo: This one is easy. Steam line from turret to the turbine side and then an exhaust stack.

Gypsy winch: Steam line from turret to a tee and then to each steam chests and from each steam chest an exhaust each into the smoke box.

Lubricator: From the turret to the lubricator and then small line from there one to each steam chest. What else does the lubricator feed? I know many i have seen have four or more valves so where all are the heading?

That should be all coming off the turret. There is the water glass and the tri cocks on the back head plus gauges. Is there anything else I am missing or need to add lines to or from? Remember this is a back woods loco so it has to be simple. Just the basic parts.

I dunno Dude. Gypsy Wench, lubricator, dynamo, blower, injector, brakes… If this thing is going to operate in California, you’re going to need a “Yes means Yes,” contract. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I did find a great diagram for the brakes that wasn’t overly complicated.

The Oiler also feeds a stream to the steam line to the air compressors ( steam feed side ) Much like the valves.

Some locos had a bell ringer also fed from the turret. Turret> Valve > line to bell > bell ringer mech.

Some locos also had a tap to a tender water heater.

Don’t forget the sanding system.

Must be Rube Goldberg Design Studios.

Hey now that’s a new one Joe; I didn’t realize they had a steam powered sander. That’s kind of a cool feature. Easy enough basically a venture using the steam to not only suck the sand down but shoot it under the tire. I might have to work that in.

Dave,

I do see that the lubricator would feed the brake compressor. Looks like it is fed straight into the steam inlet side right before the governor.

You’ll never get it done … 10ft rule!

Sean McGillicuddy said:

You’ll never get it done … 10ft rule!

Sean,

The ten foot rule is a hard one for me anyway, but on these indoor locos the ten foot rule can’t apply. They are going to be at chest level and close up for everyone to see. You won’t even be able to get ten feet away from them. Detailing will be everything. Now I am not saying I am going to put every little line to everywhere but the main components need to be reasonable reproduced.

Besides detailing is my favorite part.

Oh and since I love to learn as much as model in my researching the components so I know how to model them I stumbled across this google E book (as well as others).

The Sciene of Railways. The Air Brake. 1912

Devon … are you becoming the Cliff Clavin of Model Railroading?? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Devon … are you becoming the Cliff Clavin of Model Railroading?? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

That’s a good one, Sean, but I think Devon merely has a high sense of curiosity, which I appreciate. Now, on the other hand, we have a couple of guys around here who fit the following bill (the difference being that Hermoine was always right and our boys are batting fifty fifty!):

(And fer christs sake don’t anyone get offended, I’m not naming names, and even if I were, or if you can fill in the blanks, it’s just a gentle ribbing.)

A Tee shirt I used to have:

Those of you who think you know every thing, are very annoying to those of us who do.

Now that I’m older, I live by:

The older I get, the less I know.

Devon, where’s the loo?

I love Cliff. But no I don’t know everything. . . but I want too. I used to joke and say that between my sister and I we know everything, ask me a question and if I don’t know the answer we can ask my sister, but she’s in vacation so it will have to wait. I had a grandfather that told me he has forgotten more than I will ever know.

But John is right I have a very natural curiosity. I love learning for the sake of it. In my modeling I enjoy learning about the stuff I am modeling. You can buy the parts and slap them on and maybe even get the plumbing hooked up right. But I like knowing what each part does and how it works. What’s its purpose.

To me modeling is an extension if learning. I could never buy a train take it out of the box and run it. Id be board in no time. Building them and learning About them is what drives me.

And on a final note, to add to John’s sentiment the older i get the less I know and am realizing I am running our of time to find out.

Dave T posted this in his Week in Silverton thread

and asked “And thats all there is to it. Now who’s going to model that mess?”

I volunteer. That’s a great turret and has all but one of the necessary feeds I need. I need seven; I need one for the wench . . .I mean winch. But I can rob some steam from somewhere else for that. One thing I learned (now I know everything, Sean (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)) is that the turret is fed from high in the steam dome which makes sense. So I am thinking instead of coming off the turret for the winch I can run a pipe from the top of the steam dome through the front wall of the cab or through the roof and then to the wench. Would it be fair to but a tee in below one of the pop off valves or say the whistle?

Devon. What era are you modeling? That plays a part in what plumbing you may or may not have. My older locomotives would not have dynamos, they used oil lamps. My older locos also would not have injectors, they used cross-head feed pumps.

Devon, Ask and you shall receive:

Back side of the oiler on D&RGW 315

Anything else you need?

David M,

The era I am modeling that brought his subject up is 1920’s using and 1890’s loco or at least that my story. So the Dynamo and arc lamp are right at home. Lifting injectors common as is the hydrostatic oiler. But it is also a little logging loco so I am keeping it simple. I want it to be a mix of old and new. That’s my way of saying if i want it I can put it on.

Dave T,

That’s great. I am sure I will ask for more before its over. It just a matter of how much I can cram in a small loco.

Looks like I’m late to this party. I personally know nothing about locomotive plumbing but someone was giving away a CD some years back at ECLSTS that explains it all in great detail. I’ll look for it and make you a copy.

Daktah John said:

Looks like I’m late to this party. I personally know nothing about locomotive plumbing but someone was giving away a CD some years back at ECLSTS that explains it all in great detail. I’ll look for it and make you a copy.

That would be cool. Thanks.