Large Scale Central

Locomotive Haul - modded LGB

Pete;

Well after clicking on the link, I got told that I wasn’t authorized to use the site. Then the screen changed and wanted me to agree to using Google cookies. Not gonna do it. Would have loved to see the locomotive, but I have a strong distrust of hijinks like that.

Thanks for trying anyway, David Meashey

Dave:

I got a result similar to yours using the Chrome browser. I then opened the link in an incognito window and the picture displayed without any apparent issues. Maybe that will work for you.

Mark

Pete Thornton said:

Well, Jerry came up with a plausible prototype, even though this one is a 4-8-2+2-8-4.

(https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg)https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg

Here’s what is coming up from that link here,

The International Steam Pages

You are not allowed to access this document or folder on www.internationalsteam.co.uk.

You should soon be taken to the home page for internationalsteam.co.uk.

Since we’re talking Garratts, this road-haul delivery of boiler which just crossed my path via Tumblr might be of interest,

and it fits with thread title of Locomotive Haul (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Africa Railways - Rhodesia Railways - RR “Beyer Garratt” type 20th Class 4-8-2+2-8-4 steam locomotive Nr. 704 (Beyer Peacock Locomotive Works, Manchester Gorton 7689 / 1954) by Historical Railway Images, on Flickr

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Pete Thornton said:

Well, Jerry came up with a plausible prototype, even though this one is a 4-8-2+2-8-4.

(https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg)https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg

Here’s what is coming up from that link here,

The International Steam Pages

You are not allowed to access this document or folder on www.internationalsteam.co.uk.

You should soon be taken to the home page for internationalsteam.co.uk.

Crazy stuff. But it happens on the internet.

Turns out there were 5 classes: 10A - 10E, all much the same (though 4-8-2+2-8-4s which makes them a bit bigger!) All cape gauge for Benguala RR. The 10A and 10B had a flat front water tank, like mine. I do like the red stripe and red wheels.

And moving on, the Mason was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but this morning (Sunday) I got a barrage of texts from DHL, and finally they said it was ‘delivered’. Checked the mailroom of my condo - no package. Checked DHL, and their ‘proof of delivery’ did not show the address, just my town (really helpful, I don’t think.) Got back to the seller and got a copy of the receipt, and it was sent to 1750, not 7150. A simple typo (but next time I’ll get the receipt first to check.) 1750 happened to be a vacation rental office, which was open on sunday, and I managed to retrieve the parcel.

It seems to have survived, though with no smokebox saddle the mokebox fell out - I’ll have to figure out how it was attached. I parked it next to my live steam DSP&P ‘large bogie’:

In this next pic the smokebox was drooping.

Finally, the tender electronics. It is manual control, with 2 Tamiya battery plugs and a AA battery holder (no idea what for.)

It is manual control, with 2 Tamiya battery plugs and a AA battery holder

I finally figured out what was what. The electronics is a “CHIMP” from Brian Jones Models in the UK.

https://www.brianjonesmodels.co.uk/

Fortunately he is still in business, and Brian sent me the instructions so I know which switch is what. He says it is over 20 years old (probably right, as it says 1999 on the etch.) The previous owner sent me a video of it running so it works, I hope. The blue rectangle is a reed switch that triggers the inertia stop/start when you wave a magnet over it.

This next pic is part of the wiring puzzle. I wondered what the brass wire was poking out of the front - it’s a clip holding the pivoting bogie to the boiler, as you can see. A nice bit of metalwork for the pivot, which is screwed to the bogie.

The Tamiya connector is obviously for a battery, and there is another in the tender area. My interpretation is that the r/c battery fits in the boiler (note the flat brass plate for it to rest on,) and at the back there is a power on/off switch feeding the Chimp board.

The motor output also has a pair of Tamiya plugs, and there is a socket waving loosely in the same area with a bunch of black wires. Turns out the rear truck has 3 axles with ball bearing wheels and pickups, wired to the loose plug. So you can unplug the Chimp and plug in track pickups to run the loco without battery. No idea what happened to the pickups on the power truck/bogie.

And the final mystery of the 4xAA cells seems to be for the front light. Why wouldn’t you connect it to the battery, but it seems to be separate?

I think I’d rather have a 4S 18650 LiIon rig in the boiler, giving me 14.4 volts instead of the 7.2 of a NiMH pack. Next trick is to see if it will fit.

Pete Thornton said:

And the final mystery of the 4xAA cells seems to be for the front light. Why wouldn’t you connect it to the battery, but it seems to be separate?

Always fun to solve a mystery (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Now, I can’t tell ya why the builder of this did that with the light, but I can tell ya why I did similar on my Bachmann 4-6-0s --> that way if you are running at night you can easily find the loco if motor power is lost.

An example:

My locos are all track power and during the years Mike and Mary had their layout before retiring and moving there were 2 times track power was lost at night while we were sitting on the deck shooting the breeze.

“Where’s the train, shouldn’t it be back around by now?” was the first question asked before discovering track power had failed.

And this was in a tiny burg of population less than 200, so there wasn’t much ambient light at night beyond what nature provided.

“There it is.” was the comment someone made after locating it via the half-dozen battery-powered PRR marker and class lamps.

Headlight on that one is track power, so you both know if the track has power & where the loco is at night if track power fails.
Most of the other Big Hauler and Annie 4-6-0 have headlight and class lamps on battery power.
But the PRR BH has for its headlight a huge 10mm LED that would light up the neighbors house, so it ran on track power.

that way if you are running at night you can easily find the loco if motor power is lost.

Good idea, Forrest. I’m normally battery power so the headlight stays on (if one is fitted.)

I mentioned the tender wheels, and here’s a pic of the 6-wheel frame, made from the original tender trucks. The crossbeams are bolted to a longitudinal piece which is the pivot point for the truck.

While looking at the trucks and the track pickups, the question of the pickups on the power truck struck me again. The bogie seems to have 3 wires coming from it: white, green and brown. What are they for?

And while we are looking at pics, here’s the cab - a very neat job. It looks to have been made from a pair of cabs, and I am sure someone can identify where they came from (not that it matters. The roof is metal, probably vbrass, and quite heavy.

Pete Thornton said:

I mentioned the tender wheels, and here’s a pic of the 6-wheel frame, made from the original tender trucks. The crossbeams are bolted to a longitudinal piece which is the pivot point for the truck.

While looking at the trucks and the track pickups, the question of the pickups on the power truck struck me again. The bogie seems to have 3 wires coming from it: white, green and brown. What are they for?

Now that is interesting. Given the natural flex of the truck plastic it looks like that sideframe join might, might, allow a bit of vertical motion.

The method of electrical connection is one I’ve not seen before.

Questions arise:

Which wheels, if any, are insulated from which axles?

Which axles might be split and insulated?

Questions arise:

Which wheels, if any, are insulated from which axles?

Which axles might be split and insulated?

Questions, always questions. .(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

All 3 axles on the tender truck have electric pickup tags so it is getting power on all 6 wheels. I think those are standard LGB ball bearing wheelsets?

https://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/67403.html

I did put it on rollers to check (if the motor works, etc.) The etc. was whether the driving wheels still had their pickup wipers, and apparently not. The motor works though.

I’d like to test operation before I leave for the summer home in MD. It will be staying here, though the Garratt is coming to MD where I have access to track power. I figured I can get 4 Li 18650s in the boiler, and I was trying to find a suitable set of 2x2 end-to-end, but Don Sweet seems to be MIA. I have a pair of 2x battery holders and protection board(s) but no batteries - the local battery store wants $12.99 per cell !! (I usually pay $8 for 4 from China.) Guess the boxcab will be losing its power source for a few weeks. . .

Pete Thornton said:

Questions, always questions. .(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Hehehe!

Yes, actually, I was that child.

(though not quite to the point where my parents said “I hope you have kids just like you!!!”)

(would you believe me if I said I treat Google like my personal playground?)

But, hey, how else to find out? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Pete,

I was pondering the wiring. I wonder if this was all track power at first and the battery added later, leaving an option to use track power if desired.

Anyway, I am enjoying the forensic examination!

Eric

I wonder if this was all track power at first and the battery added later

Well, the original Mogul was track powered, so I imagine the tender truck pick-ups were added when it was converted, and the driver pick-ups removed. It’s pretty easy to switch the plugs so I will probably keep them.

I did set up a battery so I can do a track test, but the Chimp died the minute I tried it. Probably old age. I do have another PWM speed controller so that will go in for testing.

Some more tinkering in an effort to get it working. I took some batteries out of nother loco as I couldn’t find a pack in time. When I switched it on, I got the deadly smoke and smell from the throttle board. Sigh, but that’s what happens with old electronics sometimes.

Luckily I had a spare PWM speed control in the box, so I installed that instead. Worked like a charm but only backwards. Better wire in a reversing switch.

The tender now has 3 on/off options. The original RH switch which I left installed. The DPDT reversing switch next to it has a center-off option, I found. And the rotary speed control also has an ‘off’ at one end of the scale.

The LH switch is for the light, but it doesn’t work - I suspect a regular bulb that is burned out. The last hole in the tender will get a charging socket when I install a proper battery.

Last job was to figure out why I couldn’t get the cab roof off. I found 2 small bolts on the cab front, and that did the trick. It’s a big solid roof made from brass, quite impressive, The I looked at the cab and was even more impressed. Brass walls overlaying the original cab which had square windows.

Yay, it works. Needs a sound card, I think.

Even though it goes without saying that works is good I’m going to say, Yay, that it works is good! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

It scoots right along too, nice.

So onward and upward. I glued the cab of the Garratt back together today. It’s a very big cab.

OK. Found out where the cab came from - LGB 2080. I do have a bulb so I could light the interior Maybe.

Pete,

The Mason-Bogie looks good! Congrats on restoring her to service!

As for the Garrett, I thought it might be an LGB m2080…Should’ve put that on the record! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Eric

I tackled the cab again, as the first batch of glue disn’t take. I used some old Testors plastic model cement, which worked fine on the rear coal bunker, but not on the LGB cab. I dug out the Model Master liquid to see if that worked, and it did. Here’s the second attempt to put it all together.

Once that had set I looked around and felt a loose wrapper on the smokebox. In inspecting the area, the smokebox front fell off. More clamps and cement took care of the wrapper, and then I noticed wires from the stack - this thing has a smoke unit. I can’t believe it works as it seems to have no on/off switch. I also found the copper strips under the frame that conduct power from one motor block to the other. As there seems to be no flexibility in the contacts, I doubt that it operates more than sporadically.