Can hear the builder now, “I’m an artist, not a technician!”
Too true. There are a lot of bits that aren’t attached now, if they ever were. The cab is held together (not) with scotch tape.
The cab looks nothing like the cab on the Mallet, which suggests the builder may have bought the power trucks but not the rest.
In my stash was a tube of plastic model cement and that seems to work fine - the headlights and the water tank covers/hatches are now in place. I also opened up the back unit (coal/water) and found a large, loose pile of weights.
I get the impression the weights may have been taped down at some point. The front unit weight has a screw, so I’ll have to do something similar here. I also found a nice bit of filler for the coal with lumps of the stuff falling on to the footplate.
I am leaning towards this being a ‘cape gauge’ (3’ 6") S.A.R. loco. There’s something similar preserved on the Puffing Billy line in Australia, though that is 2’ 6" gauge: