Large Scale Central

Locomotive Carrier recommendation, please

I have a couple of big engines that weigh a lot (EBT #12, 50 lbs?). And I live in a condo, so I have no woodwork shop or any place to make a carrier.

So I’ve been wondering what is available on the market. I note Split Jaw sell a plastic carrier, though I can’t figure out what it looks like. I believe there are a couple of talented people out there who sell carrying cases ?

I don’t need anything elaborate or furniture quality - functional is the word. Any suggestions ?

Dan Patterson makes some real nice ones. I don’t know his email address, but Ric Golding should, if you have his.

So does Chuck Inlow. He’s on this forum.

I have 2 of Dan Patterson’s. One carries 2 USA Trains NW-2s, the other carries a heavy Accucraft 0-6-0. Very well made, and will outlast me.

Look here:

http://rapdlp1006.wix.com/g-scale-carriers#!b-bio/cy2g

or if ya want somethig plain and simple…

Both good examples, Ken’s looks like something I could crank out in a late afternoon.

John Miller said:

Both good examples, Ken’s looks like something I could crank out in a late afternoon.

Just scraps of 1/2" plywood I had laying around. Hardest part is getting the grooves the right distance apart on the bottom…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

Just scraps of 1/2" plywood I had laying around. Hardest part is getting the grooves the right distance apart on the bottom…:wink:

Well, if we had standards. :wink:

I have a buddy that works for impact case and container. Not sure if they have anything you would be interested in but here is there website:

http://www.icc-case.com/

I have one of their two gun rifle cases and you can’t ask for a more durable case. They make them for any application you can imagine.

May be over kill for what you want.

John Miller said:

Yeah, guys, but I can’t ‘crank them out’ from a condo with no tools and no workshop. And I don’t need exotic hardwoods and varnish - just something utilitarian ! (Dan’s do look good though! Thanks for the link, Lou.)

Pete Thornton said:

John Miller said:

Yeah, guys, but I can’t ‘crank them out’ from a condo with no tools and no workshop. And I don’t need exotic hardwoods and varnish - just something utilitarian ! (Dan’s do look good though! Thanks for the link, Lou.)

If your still in Annapolis, that’s only about 2 hours away from me. Take a drive up and we can “crank’em” out in no time…:wink:

(Course if I was makin them for somebody I’d use a little better grade of plywood then what I used on mine. )

Mine are like ken’s but have covers on them. I keep them in the barn and it keeps the squirrels out of them.

T

Ken and Lou, thanks for the recommendations. Dan

It was not a paid endorsement.

Just true.

Hey Pete,

The carriers that John Bouck spoke about should be plenty strong enough to hold any of your locomotives. We have several club members that have heavy brass locomotives from different manufacturers. Below is a picture of the carrier together and the second is the separate parts. Do you own a screw gun or drill? I could cut all the parts and pre-drill everything, then you could put it together. It would be cheaper to ship that way. PM me the sizes of your locomotives and I will get you a price on the material.

Dan Patterson said:

Ken and Lou, thanks for the recommendations. Dan

Excellent craftsmanship Dan, I always admired those carriers you make!

I carry my EBT in a tool box bought at lowe’s on sale for $29. It’s a Stanley Bostitch. Later RJD

impact case and container

Thanks for the idea, Devon. There was a case at the show where I bought my latest loco, but we decided it was too big to store when the loco was n the shelf. [Another small condo issue!]

If your still in Annapolis, that’s only about 2 hours away from me.

Ken, Unfortunately, my current problem is in Florida. In Annapolis I can use the garage and I have enough tools to make something, but not here. Thanks for the thought!

I carry my EBT in a tool box bought at lowe’s on sale for $29. It’s a Stanley Bostitch. Later RJD

My EBT #12 is carried in the metal frame that they shipped it in. I added wing nuts on bolts with rubber furniture protectors to the 4 corners, and a V-shaped pair of blocks and foam at the front. The back gets a piece of stiff foam jammed down to hold everything in place, plus there are a couple of foam pads at either size.

The current problem is 40" long. I think it will be easier to carry the engine and tender separately.

No-one knows about the Split Jaw carriers? I noticed they use ‘marine plastic’ and my boat has lots of that - the spare bed is made of it! I’ll have to give them a call.

Chuck, I like your idea of having only one ‘exit’ for the loco. As Pete knows, the AccuCraft metal containers weigh about fifteen pounds by themselves, and are very un-user friendly…

I off-loaded all of mine as soon as I could measure them up for making in something a mite ligther - pre-stressed concrete, I recall. :wink:

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The Locomotive Support Boys

Chuck Inlow said:

Hey Pete,

The carriers that John Bouck spoke about should be plenty strong enough to hold any of your locomotives. We have several club members that have heavy brass locomotives from different manufacturers. Below is a picture of the carrier together and the second is the separate parts. Do you own a screw gun or drill? I could cut all the parts and pre-drill everything, then you could put it together. It would be cheaper to ship that way. PM me the sizes of your locomotives and I will get you a price on the material.

While we are on this subject of these carriers, some questions for those actually using them.

Ken’s have a solid bottom piece, (is that really 1/2" ply, Ken?,) whereas I know a fair number of people (like Chuck, and Jack Thompson) who use the ‘open’ bottom consisting of 2 pieces of “L” aluminum. While I see the advantage for an electric loco - and I’ve watched Jack run his engine into the carrier and lift it off the track - I worry about doing that with a 30 lbs live steamer. Especially one costing $5K and up.

I like your idea of having only one ‘exit’ for the loco.

One design I found online had a bottom piece that was closed up after loading the engine. An alternative would be to clip/clamp/lock an end piece over the open end?

Any thoughts about that open bottom and open end with a heavy engine?

Another consideration is that a live steamer doesn’t have to be stored/carried with the tender attached. It’s probably going to be detached in order to service the engine (empty the lubricator, etc.) so detaching it at the track is no big deal. Which makes it easier to carry two lighter items rather than one heavy one. But it means 2 carriers, not one.

I carry my EBT in a tool box bought at lowe’s on sale for $29

the AccuCraft metal containers weigh about fifteen pounds by themselves, and are very un-user friendly.

And both mean lifting up that heavy engine and lowering it in to a box. A recipe for damaging the loco, I’ve found.

I am looking around and I remembered I can borrow a circular saw (a table saw would produce straighter cuts, but who’s looking?) I may be able to cobble together something that looks like Ken’s but has a handle like Chuck’s, as I think 2 crosspieces and uprights will take more weight than Ken’s type with only one upright.