Large Scale Central

LGBoA is back!

Bryan Johnson said:
So Dave Buffington is not the head anymore ?
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Dennis Paulson said:
Yes for awhile , but now number 1 is back , what a Happy Friday !
Dennis,

Good for LGBoA! Let’s see how it goes. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW You forgot to mention one pertinent fact:

''In conjunction with the Märklin agreement, LGBoA also announced today that its
parent company, G45 Inc., has been transferred to new owners: LGBoA President Tony
Castellano and Munich attorney Stefan Jakob, who represented LGBoA in the Lehmann
bankruptcy proceedings. “I saw the potential in LGBoA,” said Jakob. “Now, I can see that
potential becoming reality.”

Very interesting!

Buffington has not been in charge for over a month. It's just that no one from the LGBofA camp would confirm it. Josh
Josh Larson said:
Bryan Johnson said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Dennis,

Good for LGBoA! Let’s see how it goes. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW You forgot to mention one pertinent fact:

''In conjunction with the Märklin agreement, LGBoA also announced today that its
parent company, G45 Inc., has been transferred to new owners: LGBoA President Tony
Castellano and Munich attorney Stefan Jakob, who represented LGBoA in the Lehmann
bankruptcy proceedings. “I saw the potential in LGBoA,” said Jakob. “Now, I can see that
potential becoming reality.”

Very interesting!

Buffington has not been in charge for over a month. It's just that no one from the LGBofA camp would confirm it. Josh
Hi Josh,

That is their usual MO.

But there are a few other questions:

What are the chances that Jakob and Co were instrumentally involved in setting up the whole tangled web (the one that backfired)?
What are the chances that Jakob is just a “Strohmann” (stooge) for the usual clique?
What are the chances that the insolvency would have been of much shorter duration with a different insolvency trustee?
Is there an equivalent expression “for arm’s length dealing” in German?

That should give Wendell something to chew on this fine Sunday morning. :slight_smile: :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW the proof of the pudding will be

a) how much inventory will Märklin LGB® ship to NA?

b) how many new items for NA will be shown at the Nürnberg Fair?

Remember there were no new NA items shown at the 2007 NTF.

Josh, you never got an answer to your question to Buffington

Josh said:
josh: I would still like to know what a cat tolerate a dog means
As a dog lover (two Huskies) living with a cat lover (eight years, but who's counting) I'd say:

It all depends how assertive the dog is; in this house the previous cat wouldn’t think of going out the back in the garden and the dogs tolerated the cat reasonably well.
The new cat - took four years to get a new cat (if that tells you something :wink: :)!) - is much smarter and he does his name honour, but he still doesn’t go out the back. His name is “Machiavelli”.
In other words the dogs related: You’ll be OK, just don’t try any stunts like treading on our territory.
Looks to me like the old cats are still in charge at LGBoA and some of the old cats are still working at LGB®, it takes time to get new cats.
Took a bit of time to get “new cats” at Märklin, too.

“So it goes” Kurt Vonnegut

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
What are the chances that Jakob and Co were instrumentally involved in setting up the whole tangled web (the one that backfired)? What are the chances that Jakob is just a "Strohmann" (stooge) for the usual clique? What are the chances that the insolvency would have been of much shorter duration with a different insolvency trustee?
How about these questions:

Who cares?
Why?
What difference does it make as long as LGB is back in business?

The only things that matter to the consumer are availability, quality and price of products. All the “behind the scenes” dealings are pretty much irrelevant as long as they don’t adversely affect availability, quality and price.

Well said Ray!
Some folks thrive on conspiracy theories and the like. None of it really matters as long as the product is available. Unless of coarse one has some sort of axe to grind!

Ray Dunakin said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
What are the chances that Jakob and Co were instrumentally involved in setting up the whole tangled web (the one that backfired)? What are the chances that Jakob is just a "Strohmann" (stooge) for the usual clique? What are the chances that the insolvency would have been of much shorter duration with a different insolvency trustee?
How about these questions:

Who cares?
Why?
What difference does it make as long as LGB is back in business?

The only things that matter to the consumer are availability, quality and price of products. All the “behind the scenes” dealings are pretty much irrelevant as long as they don’t adversely affect availability, quality and price.

Watch the difference down the road. As I wrote

"BTW the proof of the pudding will be

Remember there were no new NA items shown at the 2007 NTF."

In the end it’s all about money. :wink: :slight_smile: :wink:

PS If memory serves: if one would have told the consumer 2 years ago that LGB would declare insolvency, one would have been told to see a shrink. :wink: :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Watch the difference down the road. As I wrote

“BTW the proof of the pudding will be
Remember there were no new NA items shown at the 2007 NTF.”

Agreed, but I’m still puzzled as to how this relates to all the speculation about behind-the-scenes conspiracies. Seems to me the focus should be on whether and how the current regime will satisfy consumer demand, rather than how that regime came into being. And in regards to the former, only time will tell for sure.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Josh Larson said:
Bryan Johnson said:
Hi Josh,

That is their usual MO.

But there are a few other questions:

What are the chances that Jakob and Co were instrumentally involved in setting up the whole tangled web (the one that backfired)?
What are the chances that Jakob is just a “Strohmann” (stooge) for the usual clique?
What are the chances that the insolvency would have been of much shorter duration with a different insolvency trustee?
Is there an equivalent expression “for arm’s length dealing” in German?

That should give Wendell something to chew on this fine Sunday morning. :slight_smile: :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW the proof of the pudding will be

Remember there were no new NA items shown at the 2007 NTF.

Josh, you never got an answer to your question to Buffington

Josh said:
josh: I would still like to know what a cat tolerate a dog means
As a dog lover (two Huskies) living with a cat lover (eight years, but who's counting) I'd say:

It all depends how assertive the dog is; in this house the previous cat wouldn’t think of going out the back in the garden and the dogs tolerated the cat reasonably well.
The new cat - took four years to get a new cat (if that tells you something :wink: :)!) - is much smarter and he does his name honour, but he still doesn’t go out the back. His name is “Machiavelli”.
In other words the dogs related: You’ll be OK, just don’t try any stunts like treading on our territory.
Looks to me like the old cats are still in charge at LGBoA and some of the old cats are still working at LGB®, it takes time to get new cats.
Took a bit of time to get “new cats” at Märklin, too.

“So it goes” Kurt Vonnegut

I also got the sense for the chat the other night that LGBof A belives that Märklin will be listing to them as what type of product they need in the US. Well they never listened to Märklin USA when they told them for years what was needed here in HO and Z. However, to be fair that was the old family owners. I still think that the Piko thing is going to be a problem for them if they want to keep selling LGB product. And of course we all know now that it was not the great savor of Buffington who saved the day but a lawyer. Because when you get right down to it this is all done because of a legal matter. Märklin knows that if they want there product in the US they are going to have to deal with LGBofA for the time being. Their was a lot of pre planning before Lehmann went belly up. They got their ducks in a preaty good row.
Josh

Does it really matter if you don’t care for the product?!?

John-
Good question: “Does it really matter if you don’t care for the product?”

Outside of personal product preferences: What is the significance of LGB to large scale’s interests?

If the interest is in garnering “new” enthusiasts to build garden railroads, will Marklin RETAIN the influence that LGB has had with people who associate BIG TRAINS with one company, LGB. Is Marklin THE source for any efforts to assure LGB purchasers that they will be served, that new LGB enthusiasts will be sought after, or is it LGB of America that will be responsible to take that lead?

My conclusion: LGB is THE singular brand name that is recognized by non-railroading-focused consumers as THE most recognized brand name manufacturer - even calling the product “G-gauge” and “the BIG TRAINS” that can go outdoors. Will Marklin or? continue to engender an aware and unaware public that LGB is still the leader in public approval – by virtue of years of exposure to non-model railroaders.

There will always be another Christmas and Christmas tree. Which other large scale company can extoll, without any challenge, that they have marketed Christmas and the BIG TRAIN as one?

What, then is the significance of LGB, as a brand name, to the large scale hobby?

Selah,

Wendell

HJ, I think you need to modify that statement. 2 years ago only the red box bragade would have made that statement. The rest of us would have stated that there would be something to come along to take it’s place. We’ll have toys to play with regardless of who goes belly up.

I understand why HJ is the cook in his house…he’s always stirring something…:lol:

Wendell, we have had trains around the tree long before LGB did. When I was growning up it was Lionel. And I’m sure that had LGB simply disappeared there would have been something else running on tracks under the tree.

John Joseph Sauer said:
Does it really matter if you don't care for the product?!?
Ahhhhh, but that is where you are way off the target. Some of us like the product - carefully selected for suitability - to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean that we switch off our brains when we buy product (BTW that applies to any of the mfgs). And that's when some of us discover that the rhetoric/propaganda from the mfgs and their flunkies (aka SuperFans) doesn't match what's being delivered. Any comment on that will first get the "SuperFans" upset, after all have they just been called stupid for buying a sub-par product? No, they haven't been called that, but quite often that's how they feel. But as the saying goes in the analytical community: "You and only you are responsible for your feelings!". Well imagine that: anyone feeling stupid after they read the critiques of any of the gazillion products out there? ;) :) ;)

Does the same logic pertain to “Super Anti-fans”?

John Joseph Sauer said:
Does the same logic pertain to "Super Anti-fans"?
No, but thanks for trying.

To feel stupid you have to be smart enough to know what stupid is…:confused:

Warren Mumpower said:
To feel stupid you have to be smart enough to know what stupid is...:/
Yeah and to feel stupid because someone found the fly in the ointment you just bought .... wellllll .... one could always read a few reports on that item first. Has never been easier. :/ ;)

Some folks buy a particular product because they know what to expect . They aren’t concerned with it living up to the expectations of those who feel the necessity to berate it because it doesn’t meet thier higher standards!

John Joseph Sauer said:
Some folks buy a particular product because they know what to expect . They aren't concerned with it living up to the expectations of those who feel the necessity to berate it because it doesn't meet thier higher standards!
Yeah, I know! You should mention that to the guys who bought the early Mikados and those who bought the 2-4-0 starter sets. They didn't know what to expect, except the "finest German engineering". Yep! Indeed!

So it goes.

And the LGB service department took care of the problems with the initial Mikados and the factory took care of subsequent production runs. There aren’t many manufacturers out there who would be as responsive. I’ve purchased 3 of the 2-4-0 locos and haven’t had any problems with them.

Then there were how many generations of the grinding 3 axle Aristo Craft motor blocks. How about the wheels slipping on the Mikes, just use more lock tight. Oh yea, try to get parts to fix the older 2 axle motor blocks, Ha!

And how many years has Bachmann used those breakable plastic drive gears. Keeps Barry in business.
And then there’s the new Shay glitch. Where did that fix go?

USA isn’t to bad but they also need to beef up those cracking axle gears in their motor blocks.

Seems to me that ALL Manufactures have some problems.

It’s to bad some people don’t spend as much time promoting the hobby as much as they spend negatively commenting the manufacturer and the products.