Large Scale Central

LGB Threads, again

“How unfortunate that rude comments unfortunately achieved the outcome of curtailing meaningful information.”

Which was, and I’d bet my last dollar on it, the intent…

Bob’s decision aptly deals with both issues.

Andre’

Andre Schofield said:
"How unfortunate that rude comments unfortunately achieved the outcome of curtailing meaningful information."

Which was, and I’d bet my last dollar on it, the intent…

Bob’s decision aptly deals with both issues.

Andre’

Andre,

I’ll second that!

Perhaps the simplest solution would be the enforcement of a single and simple rule regarding courtesy and respect:

There are some people who are very well known for having strong opinions in favor or against certain brands, individuals, means of powering their trains etc. etc. etc. This is normal and there is nothing wrong with it.

It should be simple enough to have a rule that if a person STARTS HIS OWN TOPIC and if, based on personal past experiences, he KNOWS that certain other people are going to try to hijack his topic (ANY TOPIC ABOUT ANYTHING) he/she should be able to request that specific individuals be PROHIBITED from posting ANYTHING on a topic that HE/SHE started.

In other words, if someone does not care who responds to a topic they post, anyone and everyone would be free to post whatever they like (within reason).

ONLY those individuals who KNOW that their topics will be attacked would request that those hijackers should stay away from (any and all of) their topics.

IN NO WAY would this prevent anyone from saying anything. If someone was prevented from posting on someone’s topic they could simply start their own topic and if they like they could prevent the other person or persons from posting on their topics.

I have avoided this forum for years because of the baiting that is an inevitrable response from the same individuals over and over.

I and others would probably return to LSC if we did not have to put up with such disrespectful and discourteous behavior. I am quite happy to ignore any and all topics started by certain individuals. I would simply like to have equal courtesy and respect shown to me and to be able to express a personal opinion or viewpoint without instantly being “under attack.”

Some people enjoy controversy, baiting, inuendo, conspiracy theories, and personal attacks. I do not. I simply leave places where I am made to feel unwelcome - even when that feeling has nothing to do with anything the web site owner does, says or believes.

LSC could once again become a pleasant place to visit.

Jerry

Jerry-
In strict compliance with board rules, I am going to tell you you haven’t a clue.

If you would like, we could spend literally days re-posting all the attacks against “the messenger”, attempts to defame, discredit, change the subject or at least shift the focus.
Maybe even the ones seeming to accuse anyone of saying something they did not.
Maybe antagonistic posts apparently designed to elicit responses that can be used for purposes not pleasant.
If you will notice (and I know from previous experience you don’t want to know, don’t need to know, don’t care about anything outside your circle of “understanding”) dang near every flame war erupted with specific folks jumping on someone’s back.

The new rule (for those of us who actually post on these forums and don’t get mad and leave) is designed to have the data only posted in a locked thread.
No comments, no discrediting, no defaming, no disparaging, no changing the subject of the focus.

No questions about where someone found any such public article, nothing.

Bob does this forum for free.
We don’t want a lot of rules, things he has to monitor or continually watch or lock.

It works.
We don’t need it fixed, and we don’t need folks who visit on occasion suggesting new rules.

TOC

The downside of letting the thread figure itself out is that with EVERY LGB thread in the last several months, its degraded into name calling, bitching, moaning, threats, misdirections, etc (as TOC points out). My email inbox fills up with complaints.

In the beginning, I tried “guys, behave”…which didnt work. I tried “no name calling” (more specific)…that didnt work. I tried “behave or else!” that didnt work. Short of banning people, which I dont like to do on principal, precluding comment on LGB threads, by directing them through me, is a good short-term solution until everyone can talk about the situation like adults, without getting their underwear in a bunch.

Like TOC said, I do this for free. The money I get from advertisers and freight sheds offsets most of the monetary cost of running the site, but not all. Nor does it take into account my time. The LAST thing I want to do is moderate a flamewar between adults acting like toddlers who didnt get candy from mommy.

…if’n it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

and thanks Bob for a great site!

cale

Curmudgeon said:
Jerry- In strict compliance with board rules, I am going to tell you you haven't a clue.

TOC

Hi Dave,

Thank you. You have made my point for me very well.

Actually I expected you to be the 2nd person to jump on a generic statement that I made (addressed to no specific individual) with a reply addressed specifically to me.

I’d settle for a ban on folks with 3 or less characters to their online identity responding to things I post here. ; ) It would require no effort whatsoever for me to agree to avoid reading or responding to anything 2 or 3 character id people post here or elsewhere.

Quote:
Bob does this forum for free. We don't want a lot of rules, things he has to monitor or continually watch or lock.

It works.
We don’t need it fixed, and we don’t need folks who visit on occasion suggesting new rules.

It appears you have elevated yourself to the position of monitor with the authority to speak for Bob and to tell me what opinions I am allowed to have and to express.

No surprise there. Once again you do a very nice job of proving my point and more or less suggesting that I take my ideas and opinions elsewhere because you do not wish for me to express myself here on (your?) forum.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry McColgan said:
I would simply like to have equal courtesy and respect shown to me and to be able to express a personal opinion or viewpoint without instantly being "under attack."

Jerry

Jerry McColgan
Today 10:49:01 MST

Curmudgeon
Today 11:49:07 MST

Gee Dave,

It took you 6 seconds over an hour. Old age must be slowing you down. ; )

Cheers,

Jerry

Oy Vey…

See, Jerry?
Casting aspersions, trying to pick a fight.

Bob has no moderators or monitors.
SOME folks actually talk to him, and have some clue as to what his ideas are, but, that would take asking questions and not simply believing what you want to believe, right?

"It appears you have elevated yourself to the position of monitor with the authority to speak for Bob and to tell me what opinions I am allowed to have and to express.

No surprise there. Once again you do a very nice job of proving my point and more or less suggesting that I take my ideas and opinions elsewhere because you do not wish for me to express myself here on (your?) forum.

Cheers,

Jerry"

It is a good thing he has rules in effect to keep me from telling you what I REALLY think.
You go off in a huff, and then come back and try to get “rules” set up so the place becomes a panty-waste everybody-polite site that you can impress us with your long-winded dissertations.

Obviously, you didn’t read Bob’s post right behind mine.
You might just want to do that.
Of course, that would mean actually informing yourself, and we wouldn’t want to do that.

How about 2 letters?
TC

Take it to email and give Bob a break…

Different sites have different personalities. Many of the people here are very independent thinkers. They think for themselves and say what they believe. Sometimes we tend to get a little bit “passionate” in our responses, but that should be normal for those that are open minded. One will never find all the “on topic” sites to their liking, but that doesn’t make them bad. Find the sites that suit your personality and enjoy them. That’s what I have done. There are sites that I only visit a couple times a year…not because they are bad…but because they just don’t suit my personality.

Stephen Podwojski said:
Take it to email and give Bob a break....
Pod,

Good idea! I have a feeling it will be a short exchange.

BTW since some people commented on the “sudden appearance” of certain people when a certain topic is under discussion. It would appear that Jerry McColgan is one of them.

42 posts on LSC since 2000/11/10

2 posts in 2003 concerning “Splicer”

2 posts in 2004 concerning his classified ad

38 posts in 2006/07 the first one right after the discussion regarding the LGB insolvency started on Sept 22. And every post since strictly around the LGB fiasco.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

PS Back to the projects in the garden, it was really nice today and with the wind out of the North not too hot, yet. Perfect for puttering in the garden!

HJ said:
Perfect for puttering in the garden!
Or cleaning the garage....:(
Warren Mumpower said:
HJ said:
Send it on I'm tired of the gloom and rain.

After years of lurking in the shadows as a guest, I have decided to finally register an account to be part of this family. I sincerely thank Bob for making this forum site available, for the use of all. I promise that I will not become accustomed to posting the long diatribes that I do on another site and keep postings on this site to a minimal lenght for the comfort of all.

In Australia we have very strict guidelines regarding the importation of ‘foot in mouth’ disease and we are proud that our diligence has paid off with to date, no cases on record. It would appear however, that one of our members has not been so fortunate and has suffered a severe bout of foot in mouth affliction. I trust that he will take the right medication and the long-term recuperation required to overcome this unfortunate relapse. I wish him all the best in his recuperation and welcome him back when he returns with his next posting on this topic.

Jack Hewitt said:
Warren Mumpower said:
HJ said:
Send it on I'm tired of the gloom and rain.
I've had several days of sunshine, here in beautiful Deer Park. Spokane has been gloomy, eh? It must be global warming!

Mission Ridge and Blewett Pass in the Cascades got 10 inches of snow the other day. They are thinking about re-opening the ski hill. Global warming, I guess.

How convenient to have something to blame everything on! :lol:

madwolf

Ya got it kinda backwards Steve. Spokane’s been sunny…it’s Kalispell that’s been gloomy…at least over Jack’s house…:smiley:

With the warm decent weather I’ve been out trying to dig my way through the garage and rearrange things around. I’ve also built a dividing wall between the 2 stalls, hung cabinets and have the beginnings of what might be a work table. I also did some rewiring out there too. All this is in anticipation of needing room to store my new 7 1/2" gauge flat car and locomotive as well as give me some room to work and start the inside portion of my inside/outside 7/8ths scale layout. Now that Jens has a girl friend I need to make something that will run my large stuff. Seems the hormones went to his head and he’s forgotten he has trains…:smiley:

Stephen Podwojski said:
Take it to email and give Bob a break....
Hi POD,

That is precisely my point. There is NOTHING I wish to say to or hear from either TOC or ** on the forum and because of **'s previously postings of my private emails to him on a public forum (including my email address) I have no desire to even exchange private emails with **.

I would love to give Bob a break. If TOC and ** would simply STOP responding to ANYTHING I say on LSC I would be most happy to not repsond to anything they say on LSC and we would then avoid all confrontations between us on LSC.

TOC is simply being TOC and I have never had any problem with any emails I have exchanged with him. He knows my email address and he is welcome to use it at anytime.

Regards,

Jerry

I wonder if his new “ball and chain” will let him have his “Big Boy.”
Dang, that boy is a fool! Trading a gal for his trains!
jb