Our LGB Olomana went dead-on-the-rails last week as we celebrated the 4th of July. Last year, we swapped out a dead motor (see OLOMANA (LGB 22130) - How do you remove the motor?). At the time, one of the posts takng power to the motor poles needed a slight bend, and I assumed something had just wiggled its way loose. Nope…
First, I noticed the brush spring had come off.
I probably should have noticed that there was obvious heat damage to that whole pole! This little loco runs hot, so my theory is that this melted, the spring worked loose, and here I am.
I opened the can to see if I could reset the screen, something courtesy of @PeterT 's guidance and patience last year with my son’s railtruck I felt competent to attempt, fond the little spring had sheared, tried to unwind it a coil, and shot it clear into the yard.
A new motor is on order, but I am curious if there is something I should check as I reinstall it to prevent a repeat.