Large Scale Central

Lets see your track plan.

Hi Matt, We haven’t seen to many point to loops listed here. I have admired photos from your RR and remember the big trees and obstacles you had to build around, heck just like the real RR’s.

Welcome Jim. I checked out your track plan and there is alot of action there. Do the tracks climb grades to get up and over track or do you use diamonds where the track crosses?
Keeping things simple is tough but essential for outdoor operations. Don’t worry just like a real train ride G scale RRing is more about the journey than the destination. I doubt there is a single guy on here that would say his RR is done. There is always room for improvement.

I also use DC tracak power with sidings and a yard I can isolate with a flip of a light switch. I too have a love of steam and diesel so I don’t model a specific time period instead I call it a modern day tourist line that uses steam for fun and emergency and diesels to get the jobs done.

happy RRing

(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/paintjockey/layout%20build/IMG_20140421_101058_879_zps44c90fa5.jpg)

Here’s an old drawing of mine. It’s about 90x40.

The PCSRR

Hey Stan, what do all the numbers correspond to ?

Looks to me like the number of trains he has on the layout. But that is just a guess.

Todd, Thank you to answer your questions about grades, Yes the main line in the centrer with passing track is level on groud as it curves too the north with the long straight away (that is elevated naturally). crosses it, all three tracks are graded at 2%. I need to edited the plan by showing and indicating the grades and what have you. I am replyin on firefox instead IE for reasons we should all know. 11 does work right

Todd Haskins said:

Hi Matt, We haven’t seen to many point to loops listed here. I have admired photos from your RR and remember the big trees and obstacles you had to build around, heck just like the real RR’s.

Welcome Jim. I checked out your track plan and there is alot of action there. Do the tracks climb grades to get up and over track or do you use diamonds where the track crosses?
Keeping things simple is tough but essential for outdoor operations. Don’t worry just like a real train ride G scale RRing is more about the journey than the destination. I doubt there is a single guy on here that would say his RR is done. There is always room for improvement.

I also use DC tracak power with sidings and a yard I can isolate with a flip of a light switch. I too have a love of steam and diesel so I don’t model a specific time period instead I call it a modern day tourist line that uses steam for fun and emergency and diesels to get the jobs done.

happy RRing

Fellow Railroad (train) Nuts, LOL Okay many of you have asked about my track plan and I have to admit I left you confuse and confused myself so edited it with color coding grades, passing tracks future yard and later some industry areas. I also have been making my own track and ties using aluminum flat rods 1/8 x 1/2 with redwood ties. They work very well in southern Arizona and I just cannot afford to purchased manufactured track, I am also experiencing the true large scale railroading just like the real thing. I did want my trestles and under and under just because I want them and a track plan that makes sense, (yeah Right LOL) I haven’t been modeling for several decades last scale was N, (DAM MY EYES GOT OLD) i AM USING DC analog with double insulated blocks, that’s what I know and works just find. I can never get a straight answer about DCC and Battery RC, which kadee couples and metal wheels are already extra expense. I want a railroad that can be worked with switching as well as automated kick back and watch it. As Always no matter how many times I have a train/trains going on track before guess arrive laps are just fine no problems as soon as a relative watches, well you know the story off the track they go. I read somewhere most Large scale operators will not reserves ther trains on curves due to derailments, before I finalize any section of track and do full testing to run forwards and backwards otherwise whats to point trains go backwards …

Jim Weingart said:

Fellow Railroad (train) Nuts, LOL Okay many of you have asked about my track plan and I have to admit I left you confuse and confused myself so edited it with color coding grades, passing tracks future yard and later some industry areas. I also have been making my own track and ties using aluminum flat rods 1/8 x 1/2 with redwood ties. They work very well in southern Arizona and I just cannot afford to purchased manufactured track, I am also experiencing the true large scale railroading just like the real thing. I did want my trestles and under and under just because I want them and a track plan that makes sense, (yeah Right LOL) I haven’t been modeling for several decades last scale was N, (DAM MY EYES GOT OLD) i AM USING DC analog with double insulated blocks, that’s what I know and works just find. I can never get a straight answer about DCC and Battery RC, which kadee couples and metal wheels are already extra expense. I want a railroad that can be worked with switching as well as automated kick back and watch it. As Always no matter how many times I have a train/trains going on track before guess arrive laps are just fine no problems as soon as a relative watches, well you know the story off the track they go. I read somewhere most Large scale operators will not reserves ther trains on curves due to derailments, before I finalize any section of track and do full testing to run forwards and backwards otherwise whats to point trains go backwards …

Sounds good Jim. I always say its your railroad build how you like. If you want clear answers as I can give on RC/Batt and DCC. Let me know. I have experience in both and I think I can give you good answers to work on. PM me so it dont turn into this is better than that type thread.