Large Scale Central

Lassen Trucking Advert

So here is a project from. The box of shame. The place where projects being Devoned to death go to rest. I few years ago I wanted to build Pete a billboard for his trucking company to put on his layout. I started it but was never really sure exactly how I was going to build it so it looked good and was also structurally sound and could be left outdoors.

A couple problems have been solved now that technology and I have caught up. Instead of trying to glue a bunch of styrene together. I now have 3D printing. The sign itself was going to be a challenge to make the way I wanted it, have good color, and live up to the elements. I always wanted to do it with a piece of styrene and a waterslide decal. Well color laser printing on waterslide decal paper is a thing now and I bought a color laser printer to do it. So this now gives me a water proof waterslide decal.

Another hurdle was how to do the lights to light it up. Micro LEDS have been around and I have them. But even they have wires that are too large to easily fit two in a conduit and not have the conduit be way oversize. ROOSTER I do believe it was gave me a solution that would have worked by using the conduit itself as a wire by making it out of brass tube and soldering on lead to it and then only running one wire in it. That was the route I was going to go. Then Bob posted or resurrected a post on wireless LEDs. Problem way solved. I will make light fixtures to hold the wireless LEDs and then put the induction coil in the base. Should work great and solve that problem.

I found a 5v wireless LED set up that comes with 10 white LEDs. I have a bunch of dollar store path lights. I have designed a solar cell rack that will hold 5 of the cells that I can then wire in series to give me a little over 5v. I am designing and printing a 5 cell battery holder using the dollar store lights batteries. This then will run the induction coil.

Stay tuned this will be fun. So far the sign is printed. And the frame and post are printed.

3 Likes

So I was thinking this was too small. So I asked Pete if he would be okay with it or if I should enlarge it. Well thankfully we were on two different pages. I am thinking billboard on the freeway. He was thinking sign in front of a business. So while the named of what we are calling it changed the size will remain the same and this will be a sign in front of business building.

So here is the five cell battery block I printed for it. Used the metal terminals from two of the solar lights to make the terminals on it. Soldered some wire and made a couple on the fly adjustments and now it holds five 2/3AA batteries giving me a nice solid 6V. I should think that the inductive coil I am getting can handle the extra volt.

What’s amazing to me is each of these cells says 1.2V. In series by math it should be 6.2v. I got 6 1v not to shabby. The things don’t lie.

2 Likes

The rack for the solar panels is in the printer. Once that is done and tweaked and I have all the solar panels in and soldered on series I should have the major components done. Since thus will be next to a business I am thinking a simple shed can house the electronics and be “dropped” by the sign.

On Cliff Jennings Joe Douglass thread someone asked about using the scrap pieces and supports from 3D printing instead of tossing it.

Well as I was pulling supports off of this build I came across two nice long sections of triangular supports. What should any good trucking company have at it’d base of operation, a CB base radio (circa before cell phones). So the utility shed next to the sign will be a great place for his base antenna

1 Like

Great project Devon. Especially like the name as we ran a business called Lassen Sheet Metal for 23 years.

1 Like

Rick, I have kind of been stuck with the name for 65 years LOL. You must be somewhere near the shadow of my relatives as Lassen Peak , Lassen county and Susanville are all on my family tree.
Devon the more I look at it the better I like the size it is, now you are going to force me to build a trucking company office for somewhere for this project to live on the layout! It’s going to look awesome! And I am honored you are taking the time to build this. Thanks !

2 Likes

Pete,
Yes, lived in the shadows of Mt. Lassen and Mt Shasta for many many years. Have climbed Lassen Peak and enjoyed the view on occassions in the past. I worked on a lot of construction jobs in and around Susanville years ago, and yes, that was the namesake of our business. All of those, and you as well it seems, are named for Peter Lassen or Don Pedro Lassen early California land grant holder.

Have I mentioned how much I love 3D printing? So here is the solar panel rack. It’s holding the 5 solar cells from the dollar store path lights. All wired in series with leads running out the bottom and then the cells hot glued in the rack. After it was all done I was pumping out and electrifying 5.6v. Perfect for charging the five batteries in the above battery pack.

2 Likes

Very interesting! Nice work, too!

1 Like

So , Devon (not Devin grandson) has this been lost in transit???:joy::laughing:

Need to update that billboard with a……. Cascadia.

Its definitely devoned

John, NEVER!!! Dont even like the Volvo truck tractors I have from the Kramer kits I bought

Maybe Tesla? Watching the video of it climbing Donner Pass was amazing.
I mean if everyone is converting their trains to battery, might as well be the road trains too. :see_no_evil:

I really should get back to this. It was going down an interesting road that I would like to pursue. Wireless LEDs. One of the challenges was to build small nano LED billboard lights. Two contenders warranted merit. Wireless LEDs or a suggestion Rooster made to use small brass tubing as the conduit and run a single wire through it for the + lead and use the brass tubing itself as the - lead. It’s in the box of neglected projects.

Why not consider Fiberoptic?
Model train Fiberoptic shop

One light source, running multiple places.

That’s actually a great Idea, I have already been messing with fiber optics and have fiber on hand.

Fiber optic light engine.

Light using end glow fiber

At night

Not sure why I hadn’t thought of this. And using only 1 LED to drive it it would be very conducive to solar/battery operation.

1 Like

Bill as a truck driver for 48 years … no , no, and HELL NO! The untold part of the story with electric trucks . That truck is hauling potato chips, so very light weight load on it, they have a very limited range, maybe 400-500 miles depending on terrain, and their charging stations require diesel generators because several of them charging together use more power than a small city, and the grid cannot handle it. Plus there is a weight penalty for all those batteries to run the truck compared to a normal tractor, so less payload on them to begin with, which means more trucks to handle the cargo left behind due to weight restrictions. Finally , no charging stations yet for public use

It’s good to hear the other side of the story. Sounds like there’s a long way to go.

Pete is prejudice, he lost a bet to Elon Musk and hasn’t gotten over it.