Large Scale Central

Ladder Track Bed Question - Again

Hello All,

Got another question about ladder track bed. I have gone over all the threads on the ladder method. Following what Bruce Chandler did, I plan on ripping 3/4 x 3 1/2 x 8ft PVC board in half for the rails and cutting 2 x 2 x 1 3/4 blocks for the spacers.
My question is, will the 1 3/4 rail height be strong enough? Or should I use 3/4 x 5 1/2 ripped into 2 3/4" rails? That height raises the per foot cost by $0.90 so if the 1 3/4" will work, that is the desirable option.

I rip the 5 1/2" wide boards in four ~1 3/8" wide strips and its plenty strong enough.

-Brian

Is it less expensive to buy the wider boards and rip them? I’ve been buying the smallest width Tuff Board, I think it’s nominal 1.5" and only needing to cut the spacer blocks.

While cleaning out the basement over the weekend I happened upon a stash of 1 inch thick wall aluminum conduit cut in 48" lengths. Since I have it I might try cutting them up for use as upright supports. Not sure how I’ll attach them though.

I’ve been using the 1x2 Tuf Board, and supporting it about every 15-18 inches. Strong enough so far.

Lowes only carries the 3 1/2 wide or wider boards. The 3 1/2 x 8 is 12$. HD carries a 2" wide PVC board but it is $18 for 8ft. That is almost triple the cost buying a 3 1/2 and ripping it.

For two years now I have floated my track on ballast. Works well enough for short wheelbase locos but those that can’t tolerate a dip and twist need a more solid bed. I just want to make sure I keep the rails tall enough so they do not sag. I figure on using PVC pipe about every 18" since most of the ladder will be resting in the ballast for suppot.

Almost lunch time. I will run over to HD again and check to make sure I didn’t miss something there.

Jon Radder said:
Is it less expensive to buy the wider boards and rip them? I've been buying the smallest width Tuff Board, I think it's nominal 1.5" and only needing to cut the spacer blocks.

While cleaning out the basement over the weekend I happened upon a stash of 1 inch thick wall aluminum conduit cut in 48" lengths. Since I have it I might try cutting them up for use as upright supports. Not sure how I’ll attach them though.

It’s only a bit cheaper than the 1 x 2 if you cut the 5.5 board into three strips. But you save a bit more ripping it into four strips. Plus, here, the 1x2 only comes in 8 foot lengths. I like to use 12 foot lengths.

-Brian

Gents,

I have been using 1 1/2 Tuff Board from HD for my rails and a plastic deck railing from Lowes for the center supports. I didn’t want to take the time to rip the pieces to size. The only thing I need to do is chop the railing to size. My rr is elevated on 2 x 4 framework. My 2 x 4’s are on 16 " centers. I use imtermediate center blocks between the 16" centers. Basicly, my center blocks are every 8". The heavist loco we’ve run so far is an R/C’ed battery Hiesler. We haven’t had any problems. If I press down hard over the non supported roadbed, ie where the blocks are not supported by the 2 x 4’s, I can get some deflection, but my loco’s don’t move it at all. Ward, let us know what you decide to do.

Jon Radder and I have learned that Home Depot carries different items in different parts of the country. Last night I found “Never Rot Trim Board” - 100% Cellular Vinyl PVC". I’m thinking this is the local stuff equal to what you guys are speaking of.

Brochure states -
.Lifetime Never Rot
.Low Maintenance
.Easy to Install
.Mills and Miters with Standard Equipment
.Moisture Resistant
.Termite Proof
.Paintable
.Reversible - Smooth or Woodgrain Texture

1" x 3" x 12’ = $9.85

Ric,
It’s a bit different. It seems to be more plastic than the Tuf Board. I think it flexes more as well. I started with the Never Rot, but switched after I found the Tuf Board. Part of the reason was the cost. The Never Rot was $11 for a 12 foot section, while the Tuf Board was $3.80 for an 8 foot piece. The Tuf Board has a rougher finish, but both seem to hold the primer well. The 8 foot was easier to put in my little car. :wink:

The thing I’ve found is that no one at Home Depot seems to know that they stock either product. I discovered it by walking around. It’s not where you think it should be.

Okay Bruce, thanks for the info. I did walk the store, what area did you find it in?

Ric,
I’m not sure what section they were in…I’ve bought the stuff at two different stores and both times they were sort of in the lumber area. But, both times I thought why did they put them here? I suspect I’ve lost all of my logical ability…

In my HD the Tuf Board was located near the lumber, but quite a ways away from the plastic deck boards. It was in a vertical rack. The HD lumber guys might call it trim plank - that’s what some of the maintenance guys at my work call it.

The stuff I found at Lowes and HD is called Trim Plank and it was located in the aisle with all the other trim and mouldings. Came in 1x2, 1x3, 1x6 and various special shapes for around doors and windows. The Tuf Board stuff was in the lumber section. Looked to be only in a nominal 1x6 used for decking. Last time I was at Lowes I did notice something called Nevr Rot. It was labeled as a pvc product. So there seems to be a variety of different brand names floating around.

I been using never rot, been very happy with it.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Trains/Overveiw11%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg)

Just finshed the mainline!

Wow Don,

That’s beautiful work. Looks like this retirement thing is working out. Thanks for sharing.

Well it is the start of a 4 day Memorial Day Weekend. We’re going to have great weather so it is time to start the track expansion.

Just got back from HD in a different town. Seems Lowes and HD both have medium size stores and large stores. The large HD I went to had the 1x2x8’ Tuff Board for $4.47 and 2x2x36 PT ballisters for $.97. Bought a bunch of both.

Now I am off to dig up the healthy grass I planted last year. Will take some pics if I can get my camera from work.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Trains/Eastcurve11%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg)

Mainline is up and running,

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Trains/Copy%20of%202train1%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg)

Second train to run,

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Trains/StationML1%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg)

Home made station setting along mainline at Echo Ut.

Looking good Don. Ain’t retirement grand? Jerry

I use treated outdoor lumber, moss will grow on anything that is not moving! A 2x6 as track board and a 2x4 as a vertical on the underside, this forms a ‘T’ section that spans 8 feet quite nicely. And if I can get the the picture in here you will see what I mean. This was done for the 2001 Convention and except for one 4x4 post is doing just fine (that post was NOT treated wood). Paul

Jerry,

I’m 1/2 retired! I sat around for 4 mouths went and got a part time job. I’m beginning to wonder if it was the right thing to do. If it ever stops raining I’ll get the new layout tied into the basement. I have a curve to adjust before I can lay the other passing siding.