Large Scale Central

Ladder roadbed materials

Hi folks,

I am planning to build some raised track on aluminum trestles similar to the one pictured below.

The trestle pictured has aluminum rectangular tubing for the roadbed, which works very well. I have also used 2x6 PT laid down flat on top of the trestles without much warping…but I think I was lucky.

My new trestle is going to be more of a long raised layout vs the short trestle above. Likely a couple hundred feet… My question is: Do I build the bridges entirely of aluminum or do I consider using a ladder roadbed technique for the track deck? And if so, should I use PT, cedar, or composite?

Also note, I plan to add walkways to help protect the trains in the event of an undetected acorn or such!

I’d suggest a ballasted deck trestle. Made with a C channel on it’s back. You can add brackets and walkways to the outsides.

Add bents to prevent sag… drill holes for drainage.

John

I would not try to use PT for the ladder method, it just won’t be satisfactory, primarily because of checking and warping.

Composite will sag, unless you support it every foot or so, 6 inches would be even better, especially on the straights. Composite has not linear stability

2 x 6 Redwood, resawn to quarter inch thickness, then laminated to half inch after forming on your curve, is probably the best. Chuck Inlow published a series here describing how he did his. I’ve used his method, and it works great.

C Channel is great, if you are going in a straight line, and have deep pockets. If you plan a curve, then you have a problem.

Steve,

Link not working.

Joe Zullo said:

Steve,

Link not working.

Fixed.

Thanks Guys,

I really like Chuck’s method, but I’m not sure if I can get good redwood in this area. I’m thinking about ripping cedar decking in half width to make the rails of the roadbed. I’m hoping my curves will be gradual enough to permit bending the boards at full thickness. (perhaps 20ft radius, 40ft dia) . I would likely have enough support to handle the composite, but I like the cost and look of cedar more so.

One change of plans…I’m going to use steel instead of aluminum. The price is a little cheaper and the bridge piers will be so much more sturdy in the case of falling tree limbs. I bought enough steel at Lowes tonight to build a few towers to try out.

Clear cedar is a great choice, too, might be even better than the redwood.

The weak point in the ladder system is not within the uprights’ or what is supporting it …ask Bob for pics of his ladder/tree encounter…Made me re-think and hard! (yes Steve it hurt)

:wink:

I would go with some kind of metal for the roadbed if expecting the possibility of falling tree limbs Jeff.

If no danger of falling objects then the other materials would be fine …just thinking out loud as to what I have observed what others have posted here “with no real charted territory”. (the last 5 words are what excites me about this hobby).

Geeze…Next time leave a memo on the fridge Rooster!

Falling objects are always a threat. So are deer walking on the track.

I have followed the lead of Bruce Chandler and Bob McCown using 1x2 Foamed PVC Board (Trex, Intecell many other brands) with Pressure Treated 2x2 blocks as spacers. Supporting every 18" or so I have had no issue with sag. None of mine is up in the air; all of it has been back filled.

Thanks Guys,

I look forward to hearing from Bob for his experiences, should he come across this thread.

And yes, Steve!

Deer are a big concern for me, as I have found many deer tracks in the snow this year. The building of the raised sections are to help protect my aluminum track from them. I have built walking paths next to my ground level tracks, which the deer seem to prefer to use (instead of the track). I’ve actually never had any deer damage in all the years I’ve been at it since 1997…but its always good to be proactive. I have a feeling the deer will recede back into the deep woods this spring, as my Holly Bushes are generally not their preferred cuisine.

Thanks John,

I’m not sure the PVC board will work as well for me as it will be exposed on trestles…But I’m glad to see the concept being used with sucess. I might as well use the ladder system on my ground level track as well to even out the bumps and off grade curves. In that case, surely the pvc will offer the better rot resistance, plus the backfilled ballast will offer added support to the roadbed.

I don’t have photos handy, but Bob McCown used PVC ladder on his trestles, then built decorative deck sides to make it look right. Not that it’s the best solution for you, but that it can be done.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/15729/looks-like-winter-will-be-early/view/page/5

Found the old thread! Don’t think I’m totally dissuaded from using ladder systems on trestles. Although I have tons of trees, most of what I have are birch and spruce, which (I think) pose less risk. I do have a few younger oaks, but I plan to fix that to rid myself of the acorns (and squirrels) anyways.

The nice thing about having the track even slightly elevated is that the deer don’t like to walk on it. If you have a nice path for them alongside the elevated track, that’s even better.

Jeff

Yes that is the thread and note that the screws sheared off on the uprights. I have had the ladder system (raised and on the ground) down since 2007 with no real issues. But if you are concerned about falling branches I personally would support both sides of the ladder. Not just in the middle with screws. I used composite material for my ladder. I apologize for my earlier rant.

:wink:

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/15729/looks-like-winter-will-be-early/view/page/5

Found the old thread! Don’t think I’m totally dissuaded from using ladder systems on trestles. Although I have tons of trees, most of what I have are birch and spruce, which (I think) pose less risk. I do have a few younger oaks, but I plan to fix that to rid myself of the acorns (and squirrels) anyways.

Hmm. I was hoping for the thread on how Bob built his ladder method. Seems that “Foamed PVC” is what you want for the horizontals.