Large Scale Central

KVRwy Track Change Thoughts

Dennis Paulson said:
So why not just go a bit further and make it a electric interurban line , you will have the wood frame underneath to hold the overhead wire poles …you know you would like …" IT " [url]

(http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0702/it1565.jpg)

[/url]

That would be a cool idea. Can even go a step further and make an elevated city line.

So Dennis and Shawn are you really suggesting that I had more work to the work I am thinking about that is almost certainly greater than what I can do? That makes perfectly good sense, and that’s the scary part. :slight_smile: Okay Dennis and all, I need an example of an electric 45 tonner, because the basis for this 70.64mm standard gauge engine is going to be a Bachmann 45 tonner.

This is the 40-45 ton GE steeplecab that was used here …

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/dennispaulson/wishtheywouldmake.JPG)

And closer to you was the St Louis & Belleville …

(http://davesrailpix.com/odds/il/jpg/slbe02.jpg)

from Davesrailpix.com

Dennis,

I think you and I have discussed this before using the 45 mm track. This would be a lot bigger on the 70.64 mm track. It is certanly food for thought. I’ve just got to get more time in my life to achieve all that I want to do.

Life is a challenge, but it is good and I am certainly blessed to be able to have thoughts of this type of enjoyment. My next move is inventory my current wood supply and then off to the big box store to see what I might need or have available for my project desires.

Yes the BIG Bachmann GE with wider wheel spaceing in the trucks is the most ready to go option , and will be impressive . The danger is that once you are up off the ground …the easy work height grows on you .

Ric Golding said:
So Dennis and Shawn are you really suggesting that I had more work to the work I am thinking about that is almost certainly greater than what I can do? That makes perfectly good sense, and that's the scary part. :-) Okay Dennis and all, I need an example of an electric 45 tonner, because the basis for this 70.64mm standard gauge engine is going to be a Bachmann 45 tonner.
What fun would it be be if it were easy LOL. If I lived close to ya I would give you a hand.

What about the Aristo Rogers. It was mainly used on elevated city lines. HLW has some great electric engines.
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/rogers_tips.html

Shawn its going to be on handlaid 70.64 gauge track …
because the basis for this 70.64mm standard gauge engine is going to be a Bachmann 45 ’

I suppose thats 1/20.3 standard gauge , anyway thats big trains .

Shawn,

This is for interchange of less than car load (LCL) and maybe even a little carrying of standard gauge cars (70.64MM0 on narrow gauge tracks (45mm) in a limited area.

Once again the idea is to force the dimunitive size of narrow gauge to standard gauge equipment.

Gary,

What is the color of the “Trex” ties you have created? I’m tending toward cedar for everything, but you’ve got my curiousity.

Dennis,

You’ve just got to keep tempting me with those pictures, don’t you? :wink:

I still think and engine terminal and yard down the side of the garage would be a good idea…

Threads like this are dangerous. I have yet to complete the expansion loop begun in earnest last spring. Now I’m thinking that I still have a #6 in stock of the correct variety to branch off between Indian Hill Junction and Coal Dump curve - extending out into the back yard on raised benchwork. This is something I’ve had in my head ever since I first saw Richard’s Port Orford benchwork.

Note to self: MUST FINISH CURRENT PROJECTS FIRST

Ric at this point they are the color the trex came in which is a light gray but I tested staining some of them with an opaque outdoor house and deck stain stain and they seemed to take it well. I don’t however have any data on how well the stain will weather when left outdoors.

Gary Buchanan said:
Ric at this point they are the color the trex came in which is a light gray but I tested staining some of them with an opaque outdoor house and deck stain stain and they seemed to take it well. I don't however have any data on how well the stain will weather when left outdoors.
That would be worthwhile doing a field test. Put a couple of those out over the Winter and see how the fade. Grey would be a good undercover. ;-)

Ric / Gary, I have had Trex around our pool for 7 years now, never stained or painted, thats why I chose to use it for my ladder method, I know Ron Senek used it for a base for his hand made switches, that stuff lasts without maintaining it, the only thing you have to remember is you cannot support anything with it, its used really for planking on a deck, I keep my PVC pipes around 3 ft between each other, then use 2 strips of trex about 2.5 in high by 3/4 in wide, and2 blocks between pipes. It has really never faded or warped.

Tom H

Jon, Self never listens to me. :wink: Bart, The thoughts are there. I would also like to have another level of storage on that shelf at “Fiddle” and dual gauge track at that. That would be where the radio and the Drover Caboose is sitting, along with the flat car I just cobbled.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/rgolding/061105%20003.jpg)

These thoughts have progressed and there is action in earnest to be considered right after the Fall Ops. I have taken the action of announcing that this will be the last year of setting up the Portable Live Steam track and that is a first step. Plans, at least in the grey matter, have changed many times but are starting to come forth on scribbles of paper and taking measurements. The ladder track I put in at “Red Bud” has held up well and that is playing strong in my future work of expansion and even contraction. There is a “Wednesday Gathering” scheduled on the KVRwy in October with the GGRRC (Gateway Garden Rail Road Club), and I plan to install some more ladder track in conjunction with that, so this all really is moving forward and the gauntlet is being thrown down to Jon, Bruce and all the other multiple page topic record holders as to what will actually be said and actually what may (someday) get done. Thank you for your thoughts and time to read this.

All right ! I love a good gauntlet. Will Clint Eastwood be there? :slight_smile:

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/GIFS/PanicButton.jpg)

Ack! What am I supposed to do now?

Ric; like me, you are always looking for ways of enhancing the railroad. We will never have “Finished” railroads. We grow with our pikes and will never get bored with them.

Operation does this to us, and keeps the hobby alive. I often pity those that choose to just run in circles, but it is their choice. They never get to enjoy the fun of constantly looking at better ways to help our railroads provide new yards, sidings, destinations, and scenic highlights.

As you know, the IPP&W keeps growing, and improving…yes the roadbed is complete now, from Rat Portage to Bell. It has been named the Fern Valley Subdivision. Rail will be layed within the week, if I know Gord, and his ways…!! (Maybe two weeks, if he can be enticed into tasting a few bheers…!!!)

Looks like the KV RWY will be seeing new trackage soon too…

Why a panic button…again I guess I missed something, or someone…was she worth seeing ?..!!

Fred Mills said:
Why a panic button.....again I guess I missed something, or someone....was she worth seeing ?....!!
Too late you missed it!