Large Scale Central

King Post Bridge

King Post Bridge

Getting the Pin Nailer, saw and glue warmed up for the Mik’s New Year Challenge contest…

Looking good Travis, that girl is a spitting image of my granddaughter.

Great work so far Travis. Wish my helpers were as cute as yours. :slight_smile:

All that in 11 minutes. Dang, I’d still be sizing the first piece. Looking good Travis

Looking good Travis. Nice to see you have a helper.

Great start!

thanks guys … Not sure what to do for the challenge. This is gonna be a tough one for me to come up with something… I will have more pics of the bridge soon…

Travis, I need something like that for one of my crossings. Would like to see a list of your measurements when you have time. Thanks. Good helper. My grandaughter is more into the trains than my grandson.

Rich, I built this from a picture I found when I did a search. It caught my I and went from there. It is built out of cedar…

Bridge now ready for the hardware

Really looks good Travis. Nicely cut and assembled. Will be great to see the finished product.

So I down to the final details on the bridge… Should I leave it unstained or finish it with a type of stain?. whats everyones opinion?.

Travis

Nice looking bridge. While the cedar should hold up well, suggest a good wood preservative two coats. Lately I have been using CWF

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solutions/product/4/details

Available in clear or colors if you want a gray weathered look. I use it slightly tinted tan and let it age. Figured it should add life to the piece. And I assume you will keep the ends off the ground on raised abutments

Jerry

Thanks Jerry… I just about have your building done also… :slight_smile:

I would suggest some kind of sealer on it, even though its ceder. I prefer to stain my bridges and my trestle a bit. I like the look of unfinished wood, but to my eye, a structure like that should have some kind of finish on it.

I agree it should be sealed whether a clear or a stain and clear. Either way it looks great! Also just a thought if you go with a darker stain it will really make your brass hardware “pop” and I would also clear the brass as well.

Travis
Looking very good, I like the design
Dennis