Large Scale Central

Kalamazoo 4-4-0 #3 - a tall tale

I found a bunch of little flat cars with Civil War mortars and cannonballs on them very cheap, so of course I had to buy them to make a civil war train.

In that era, locomotives were high-stepping 4-4-0s and maybe even 5’ gauge in certain locales. The obvious loco to pull them is a Kalamazoo/Hartland 4-4-0, which is a 1/24th compromise size that looks kinda like a std gauge engine.

So I found a Kalamzoo 4-4-0 in an auction with a bunch of New Bright cars that now reside with Vic.

and when I tried to make it work, I found it had a bad motor, and the plastic was brittle and bits broke. Not only that, it had only 4 wheel pickups on the driving wheels, and it was missing a headlight.

All along I had noticed that the Hartland version, made after HLW bought up Kalamazoo, had nice spoked driving wheels. And lo, one turned up in an auction!

Lack of a front truck was no big deal, as I had the other Kalamity-#1 truck. So that became the primary for the Civil War train, and it was fitted with r/c+battery control (thread around here somewhere.) It ran like a champ at Jim K’s along with a wooden stock car I found and a Delton shortie boxcar.

Another auction popped up (who was it told me that you can search all of Hibid for g scale? I’ll shoot him!) This time locally, and they wouldn’t ship, so we had a pleasant drive to Lewes for lunch, picking up a complete Kalamazoo Empire set for $20.

Selling the freights paid the cost of this, so the Kalamity 4-4-0 #2 hit the test bed, and hardly ran. But the motor sounded like it was working, so I stripped it down. Yes the motor worked. No, the gears didn’t - cracked like a good Bachmann 4-4-0 (must be contagious?)

Ah, but Kalamity #1 had good gears and a bad motor, so it got taken apart again [I can strip the motor out of a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 and put it back together in 30 minutes these days!] The gears were transferred to #2, and I got a lesson in how to quarter the axles - as you take the gears out, you lose the alignment. So you have to put them back in the right place. Note on this pic the flats on the axles are being aligned, and note the nice TRW made-in-the-USA motor.

(The other thing to watch on a Kalamity 4-4-0 is that the pickup brushes and springs will fall out when you remove the wheels. You learn to be careful. . .)

Now I had a working Kalamazoo 4-4-0, but I already sorted and preferred the HLW, so this one went on the block. I had to dig another headlight out of the junk box - I think it came from an AMT “General” plastic kit. It sold in a moment.

While all this was going on, a gentleman on MLS was updating a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 to make it prettier. He said he had 3 of them, 2 junked, inherited from his brother. I had asked for a junked one weeks ago, thinking it might have parts I could use to get Kalamity #1 working. Shipping it from CA cost $40, which was more than I paid for the other 2! It turned up yesterday, and has a headlight!

Having a spare 30 minutes this morning, I stripped out the motor block and inspected the internals. Despite it being classed as ‘junk’, the motor worked fine. The I noticed - it was an LGB Buehler motor!! Appears to be the classic short-shaft, double ended LGB motor used in moguls, etc.

The gears seemed fine, so I put it all back together. I think the worms are slightly smaller than the original motor, and maybe the gears are worn, but the back end can slip and not run. Once it was complete, with the rods keeping the wheels in sync, it ran fine - as well as these things run anyway.

While I only got a ‘junk’ engine with no tender, you may notice in my first pic, hiding at the back, a green tender which is now in my spare collection and presumably works with this Kalamity #3. I know the headlight doesn’t work - not only are the wires cut below the headlight but the wires pulled out of the boiler when I took the motor block out, normally they have to be unsoldered. This loco has has a hole drilled in the smokebox on the other side, which requires investigation. Maybe next week!

1 Like

Look good Pete. They are decent engines if you can them at a decent price and you can make them look good with some work. I’ve been always looking for the civilian sets but they always go for big money. I have the Mountain Cetral set and also got lucky getting a HLW limited edition General Engins from the Atlanta show.

I just blows my mind how you hide that “Pull Sting” in those pictures Shawn!

Good point Rooster, but how do you do it?

:grin:

Well, personally I much prefer the later HLW version. It looks nicer, the parts are fastened on, and the tender is much improved with no molded striping and metal wheels with pickups on one truck.

I ordered some new gears for the Kalamity #1 which meant taking them out so I could send a sample to Jiro. At the same time, I measured the gear sizes, and found the worms on the LGB/Buehler motor are the same as those on the TRW (original) motor. Which raised the question of why the gears slip, so I gave the non-split gears on K #3 a close inspection. I think one has a groove worn in it by the worm, so it doesn’t quite mesh all the time.

Kalamity #3, my latest, has the hole drilled in the side of the smokebox, though I can’t figure out why. It also has the smokebox door notched top and bottom and there are a pair of small screws holding it on. There’s nothing inside but a pair of loose wires that used to work the light.

When I get a working chassis I will probably fit it to Kalamity #1, the first one with the bad motor. It is pretty much complete so I will be able to sell it.

Then, the rest of the parts might make C.P. Huntington.

If you look in the MLS Masterclass files, David Fletcher has a good intro to C.P. including the interesting info that Delton made a 4-2-4 C.P. Huntington in brass, before they made the 4-4-0. They are rather similar.

Besides, I will only have a working motor with one worm drive. Can’t make a 4-4-0 out of that.

As the weather is not cooperating for a track test, here’s a photo of the motor block from Kalamity #3, with the Beuhler motor and new gears from Jiro Yeramian.

All the parts I have left of Kalamity #1, arranged with a single-shaft motor and the only working gear from #3:

I have two observations at this time, while I wait for the snow to recede and my track owner buddy Jerry to get over his Covid, so I can test this loco.

Dan Pierce, an LGB repair guy, pointed out on MLS that the gears in these Kalamity locos look just like LGB gears.
I had a chat with the Esteemed Phil Jensen, of HLW fame, (and ordered some more HLW wheels from him. Thanks @davidwp ,) who confirmed the motor will fit, but he pointed out that the worm on the Beuhler motor is metric and will chew up the Kalamazoo gears. As the gears were not in great shape, he’s probably right!

Dan’s comment that LGB gears might fit looks like the way to go when you replace the motor with an LGB one.

On the other hand, I now have LGB motor and Yeramian Delrin gears. I suspect they’ll last as long as the loco!

And the good news is that it all works fine. This rebuild, consisting of a loco with bad gears and a replacement LGB motor, plus a spare tender, doesn’t look bad. Even the headlight now works. Time to sell it and make room for the next project.

Had one for a demo that I sold a while back. Pilot truck was “iffy” on anything but perfect track (and mine is nearly perfect). Probably would have added weight or spring power if I’d kept it. Any comments on that?

I haven’t seen any issues with the pilot truck on any of the 3 or 4 versions I have been testing.

But I agree the truck is a bit light. A gent over on MLS who is super-detailing his added metal wheels.

I asked where he got them, and here’s the reply:
" the metal wheels I have fitted to the front truck currently are from IP Engineering. The axle is the same diameter as the originals, but the plastic insulator will need to be ground down on the backside of the wheel. However, I will be replacing them with Bachmann’s small steel wheels which are the same diameter but have a more pleasing profile."

Another thread turned up a tender with Bachmann small (24.5mm) wheels.

Both seem highly desirable updates.

Thanks, that would have been helpful, for sure.

It’s amazing—I bought one just like this. It even has the hole in the smoke box. I think it was a factory option for smoking bbq ribs while working the night train to Potterville… :blush::blush::blush:

Jeff C

Good Job of saving three old engines…

BTW: The Rio Grande, didn’t have any 4-4-0’s in 1923 when they became the Denver & Rio Grand Western. They were the Denver & Rio Grande, until they merged with the Rio Grande Western in '23.

Great projects and nice to see them getting new life.