Large Scale Central

Joe Douglass

Hehehe…
An example that I didn’t even uncover UNTIL I looked at a picture…
Looks pretty good here:

But closeup…not so much…perhaps it’s a ‘distress call’?
closeup
BUT, the other side is OK!

Maybe nobody even noticed? (But me?)

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You installed it upside down… to prove no one would notice? Naah, you wouldn’t do that… at least deliberately… ? No, not on your brass beauty!

With the new tender and trailing wheel truck, I needed to pretty much rework the entire tender area. Lots of hole drilling, some sanding, etc. The new flat head screws will permit the new cab’s floor to cover them.

The main pieces are coming together…

I’m reprinting the backhead now, there were some screwups in supports (the throttle flange and tricock bodies are incomplete, though that doesn’t show in this view). And, due to a certain fastener approach not working out, I’m going to make the j-bar one with the backhead.

Onward and sideways,
Cliff

2 Likes

Man cliff that is just getting more impressive by the minute.

2 Likes

Very impressive work!

1 Like

Cliff, the level of detail really brings this project to life. I have a couple of questions:

What are/is the dimension(s) of the rivets on the tender & the boiler?

What resin are you using?

1 Like

Thanks very much, Devon, Ray and Dan, much obliged!

Dan, those are all .05 dia. I’ve been using Siraya Tech “Build.” Little more expensive, but the stuff always prints, and has fairly good strength.

Here’s the completed backhead:

And in situ:

The sight glass is now chunkier that intended. Since I couldn’t find the 1/16" clear rod that I just bought (gave up looking after an hour), I used a but of .10" tube, and reprinted the valve bodies to take it. Got the tube out of the ink cartridge of the smallest pen I had laying around.

5 Likes

Looks superb Cliff. Very nice progress.

1 Like

that came out great.

1 Like

Thanks again guys! Much appreciated!

Here’s the seat pads which just had their pins added. These are the nails that were discussed a ways back, with heads that are .04" dia. Their holes were printed in, and had a quick cleanout with an .02 bit.

Cheers,
Cliff

4 Likes

Too cool! Looks awesome. Well done!

1 Like

Coming great, Cliff.

So when do we see the ad for “Cliff’s Detail Shop”? :grin:

Yeah I know $120/hour to break even…

Jerry

1 Like

Looks VERY nice. Will you leave the brass parts brass, or will they be painted?

1 Like

Thanks Bruce. I suppose they should be brass-looking, cuz I’m guessing they would have done the same back in the day.

Thanks very much Jer, hahaa!

Yeah, I wish! :laughing: :grin:

I am loving this topic, Cliff. Just really nice work. It is fun to watch you use the best approach for each detail: some printed, some brass, and the occasional piece of random junk.

You have deeply disappointed me in that you can’t find your 1/16" clear rod you just bought. I would have expected it to be carefully labeled and stored for easy retrieval before you threw away the bag (box?) it came in!

Now I know you are human just like the rest of us. I have some clear rod if you need it (carefully placed in a spot no one else would ever think of, but that makes clear sense to my twisted brain)…

I have been watching the progress on this locomotive project, and admire the work greatly. Just about every detail has been addressed and the locomotive should “Look” great when finished.
After all the “Looks” have been addressed, we start looking at the “Practical” side of any model, which supposedly is meant to “Operate”, after completion. This makes me ask, “Constructively”…what about a coupler on the front of the loco ?
What couplers are planned for operational purposes ?
Loop and pin; loop and hook; or one size or the other of the Kadee Couplers.
I’m not in any way pushing for any particular coupler…to each his own…
Keep up the great work…I admire it greatly.
Fred Mills

Him Jim, thanks for chiming in, haha! Glad you’re liking my weird build. :grin:

Right, I probably did that, hahaaa!

I seriously considered printing the entire sight glass in clear (valves + glass), but the clear resin I have on hand is kinda brittle. So…

Spent over an hour (prob coser to two) looking for that rod, or some equivalent… total geez fest. I was close to ordering another batch, but $12 for a pile, when I only needed 5/8"… so, chunky sight glass here I come!

My biggest recent brain-dead-event was this series that happened on Christmas eve day:

1. Realizing that, per Wendell’s drawing, the stack needed reprinting to 1/4" taller
  2. Finding and testing another smoke unit for a cut-down version (I’d trashed the 1st one)
  3. Cutting the unit down super carefully, only to learn it wouldn’t work anymore
  4. Realizing the taller stack would have accommodated the uncut smoker

However: This evening I found another 5v smoke unit on a dysfunctional LGB mogul. After some confusion, I was able to extract and successfully test it. So I destroyed the current stack to get the LGB threaded insert out, and carefully went thru all the cad dimensions. So now the 1/4" taller stack is printing, and will be done during the night.

Cheers,
Cliff

Hi Fred, thanks for posting. I’m glad you like the looks of the thing, because that’s what my wife will be looking for as well.

:grin: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But you bet, it has to work. This won’t, however, be for true “operations” work, like you would mean. The pilot is very long, and has just the bar:

The proto has only link and pin coupler on the rear. But I installed a Kadee there, to have moderate operability. At least to haul a few ore cars, which I think is all the Joe D mainly did.

All good points, and thanks,
Cliff

Cliff…understood…thank you for the prompt reply…very much appreciated.
Fred Mills