Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson's 2019 Mik challenge build log

Started building the awning and deck planking (which will help hold the building more rigidly). Like the rest, I’m building the awning as a separate structure so I can still take the building down.

So far I only have the support for the awning nearest the building in, and the first (most complex) bit of planking down:

[edited to say: oh yeah, and I extended the deck on one side so I have more room to put product on display, etc. if I ever get around to it]

Lookin’ great!

Help! I’m trying to make signs for my store. My first approach was to use some really thin styrene, print out some decals and apply them, then cut to size, paint the back and Bob’s your uncle.

No joy (these are NOT Stan’s decals, just off my inkjet printer):

Current theory is I need to cut the styrene first as cutting it later is too much handling.

Anybody have a better idea of how to approach this? Just to continue my string of awesomeness this morning, now my inkjet printer is fighting with me :-(.

Put the decals on in one big sheet, let dry 100%, spray with clear, then cut?

Maybe a primer for tooth?

Thinking along John’s line, what about scuffing the styrene with sand paper.

Thanks for the suggestions on decals. I’ll see if I can do some (all?) of those after I get a clean inkjet print…

Meanwhile I’ve been finishing up the planking on the deck and adding the awning framing:

The support posts and decking interact in a fiddly way that required a lot more time than I had hoped, such as creating holes for the posts so they can be glued/pinned to the underlying structure for stability:

Happy Miking!

A thought. Would it work to scuff or vinegar wash a sheet of .005 plastic and print them direct. I don’t know if the heat would be to much or not (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Well, inkjet isn’t a hot process so that might work. But at least my inkjet printer needs to bend the paper around a fairly small roller (maybe 1" in diameter? haven’t actually looked). It is certainly possible to get flatbed inkjet printers but they tend to be pricey and I don’t have one (even though I used to work in the inkjet division at HP!).

It is what might be called an “out of the box” idea for sure. Not sure I can even attempt it though…

[edited to correct bad grammar after I changed my mind about what I was trying to say]

.005 is less than paper

Here’s a [link] to something I found with a possible technique. The important part is this:

Get some normal dollar store hair spray and spray it on the surface of the plastic sheet. You may have to do a couple of coats (allowing it to dry completely between coats) until you get a smooth finish. Once you got a good smooth finish it can be printed on just like paper with no bleeding whatsoever. However, the ink is still not water proof… when done, must let the ink dry completely (usually overnight I’ve found to be best) and then when its dry, spray some Krylon satin clear coat over it very lightly from a distance. Like a dusting of the coat. Let it dry completely between coats again, but keep doing it until you have a nice smooth finish and you’ll be all set to use it. Ends up being a very stable and durable job as well.

[edited for a typo]

You guys think too much

Use this for the clear coat, it atomizes into a fine mist. Other sealers were blowing the rust off my rail. I found I could get a complete cover fog with this:

Also comes in gloss.

A bit more progress this morning. Posting a progress pic as I wait for glue to dry. Deck on hoist platform, corner trim, framing for awning (just a little bit of a tricky corner left).

Looking good Jim!

Sadly I go back to work tomorrow. Last progress for today/this staycation. Main paint on all walls:

That dang work getting into the way of modeling.

That’s going to be a cool building when you get done, Jim.

Made a tiny bit of progress today. LED strips for lighting under the awning:

I also have been trying to do the “print directly on styrene using hairspray as a coating” thing. It turned out a bit ugly, but may work for a backwoods set of signs:

I actually kind of like the crackle sort of look. Gives it an old feel. Weathered.