Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson 2023 Mik challenge build: Bank of Durango

Well Jim your low tech way came out as good as any. Don’t change what works.

1 Like

Now, if we could just get Dave to give us the Challenge 5 years in advance we could all take advantage of Mother Nature’s tried and true weathering skills :grinning: Jim, to me, the shack looks better now than when it was “new”.

I appreciate and enjoy your “low tech” modeling. Everything you build has a sense of authenticity to it and looks like its been there for ages.

1 Like

I was thinking the exact same thing. The broken chunk of roof is priceless.

1 Like

FYI: I did try the salt technique in a Mack truck model and it worked decently well, exposing organic shaped rust spots:

Built the mold to create the rock walls for the building.

I have also selected most of the rocks to form the pressure reducing arch above the round top window. There are some similar rocks for above the door and other window.

These rocks are bigger than those used for the bulk of the wall. Hopefully they will stand out a bit.

Next step is to get all the plugs of various types placed in the mold. Things like:

• windows and doors
  • slots in the front and rear base for wooden beams that will be used to create the wooden walkway at the front
  • small holes through for lights that will shine on the sign and down onto the walkway.
1 Like

Those rocks are not to big Jim, your town is just full of really big burly men’s men who could lift them.

Can’t wait to see this come together. Did I miss something? Mold? are you casting something and I missed it? Or is your mold a form on which to place the real rock? Also not sure if it was intentional or not but the top center stone is the correct shape for a key stone. Not having any idea of the level of your knowledge of these things ( I sure don’t have much) but I do know that the top center stones are wedge shaped so that as the pressure pushes down on the arch it “drives” the wedge into the arch actually making it tighter and stronger. So that was a very good choice for the top center stone.

1 Like

@Devon_Sinsley : I am using a Ray Dunakin technique that I have used twice before. The most recent time was for my not finished Casey’s Saloon foundation. Link below:

I also used this for my dynamite shack.

It is an outside mold that holds the rock in place while you pour the cement behind it.

Pretty easy to do, once Ray showed how.

1 Like

I like that. I just went and looked at the first thread you posted and that is a cool idea and will be borrowed. I want to make a rock church and this will be way easier and probably look way beeter than how I was going to do it.

1 Like

Not huge progress today. Got the front wall plugs and special rocks in place.

Now to remember how much or how little water is needed to get the mix right, hope you are better at writing stuff down than I am. Good luck cannot wait for the unveiling

1 Like

Before one can write it down, one needs to measure it. Fail at step one…

Any progress is good progress :grinning: I can’t wait to see how the arch turns out, looking good so far.

1 Like

Looking for 3D printing help. I have a design but when my daughter/soon-to-be-son-in-law moved from Florida to Colorado, the Prusa we own is not in functional shape. For some reason, they seem to be fixated on post move stuff that doesn’t involve the printer. So self-centered :slight_smile:

So, I’m looking for somebody who has a working 3D printer who can render my bank sign for me. I’m happy to pay for filament and shipping out of my $30.

Here’s the sign:

It is about 6" in the longest dimension. There are 2 versions of thickness. I’m going to paint it, so no worries about filament color.

Anybody willing to help? PM me your email and I can send the .stl file

Thanks in advance…

Jim, send me the stl file or cad file and I will be glad to do that for you. I’ll PM you with my email address.

Thanks Dan. Email sent.

Hey Dan, since you are doing bank signs, You wanna print up my bank sign too??? Of course I need design work too, not as computer savvy as Jim is! LOL
I am kidding !!

Any time you need any 3D printing or design work, just let me know. I will be glad to help.

Sounds like Dan beat me to it. But if anyone ever needs a resin printed part I am game.

On another note, the wife and I are on a mini vacation to South East Idaho. We drove through the semi ghost towns of Nevada and Virginia cities, Idaho. I saw this “downtown” Bank and it totally screamed at me “Jim’s challenge build”.

2 Likes

Thanks, Devon. Boy, that looks like the Church of the Almighty Dollar to me. I love the “BANK” sign. Kind of like my “JAIL”…

Nothing like stating the obvious right. Why waste time with fancy names when you can just say “BANK”

1 Like