Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson 2023 Mik challenge build: Bank of Durango

About to grout more walls. This is the result of yesterday, after a light brushing and moist sponge.

2 Likes

Okay came out better than what I was speculating. So basically you grouted it as you would anything else you grout. I think that came out very nice.

1 Like

Yes, exactly right. Precisely. On the nose. Do I have 20 characters yet?

1 Like

Arched window frame is better this time. Looks a bit, um, wiggly. And it is. With luck I can get it into the hole in the rocks (a test fit without the internal structure was fine) and glue between the frame and the Lexan behind it “should” hold it in place.

I widened the guide slots, was sparing with glue. Then added more glue after removing from jig.

Jim,
Years ago they used to do a lot of what was called “concrete tilt up walls” maybe they still do.
They would build a form on the ground over plastic sheet and place rebar and weld plates at the sides then pour the crete, when cured they would stand them up and anchor in place.

All that leads up to this. On a couple of jobs I was on they did exposed rock finish. To accomplish that they built the form then spread a couple inches of damp sand evenly in the bottom. The rocks were then hand placed and pushed down through the sand. The concrete was carefully poured and after the panel was cured it was stood up and the sand was pressure washed out leaving a beautiful stone wall finish. No fuss no muss.

1 Like

Yup. Makes sense. I believe that Bruce Chandler built a rock building that way. One wall at a time with wire mesh exposed for connecting between them. Probably easier to get the corners that way.

Here is a pointer to a summary of his method:

Just primed the windows and door.

Used Tru-color primer.

I really like the way this is coming together Jim. Filing technique for later !

The same job that needed the Earthquake Bolts I mentioned on your thread was built this way. Huge pre-fab wall and floor sections brought in by truck and set by crane…

Ended up as a 5 story apartment building. I got paid to watch them build it and take pictures :smiley: I have close to 1000 of the process.

1 Like

I chose “Dark Wooden Rifle Stock” brown for my windows and door. Gotta do something with those old rifle stocks.

1 Like

Elbow grease time. I think I mixed my grout a bit thick and have to remove a lot. I broke down and bought some real grout and other stiff brushes. $13 for five different types since I wasn’t sure which would work best.

Front after a little bit more brushing:

That looks pretty decent to me.

Left side after my arm got tired:

Still needs work but starting to be ok. Will mostly be hidden. The other two sides even more hidden.

Not so sure that I will get to the interior. Safe may be a shelf queen for a while.

First test fit of door and windows. A bit of finagling to do but close.

1 Like

This is coming out very cool. The rock is just over the top. Nothing ever looks better than the real thing.

1 Like

Last wall grouted.

Looks really good Jim, we have 2 centuries of banks covered!

1 Like

Lexan plus detailing. Still need a doorknob I guess…

1 Like

Test fitting exterior lights and sign. Me like.

Had to fork out another $3.50 for a 1/8” masonry bit.

1 Like

Got the door and one window finagled.

Jim after much labor you created a block of grout. Now I know why you keep saying it requires elbow grease. I had not imagined just how much. But after seeing the finished product you are certainly scrubbing a lot of grout.

I don’t seem to be capable of mixing the grout to the correct consistency. It doesn’t help that the rocks are wildly unsmooth. Hard to use a sponge to wipe the excess off.

Oh well. My elbows will either be destroyed or stronger.

What doesn’t kill us. . .makes us insane