Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson 2023 Mik challenge build: Bank of Durango

Current plan is to make a metal roof. Will score the PVC piece along 1” spacing and glue in some small styrene rod.

Have not decided whether I like it or not. Comments?

1 Like

Honestly Jim it looks kinda generic after all the brilliant rock work. I hate to be critical but you are doing such a great job that a simple flat piece of plastic looks plain.

Maybe do what your planing but then add some gravel to make it one of those aggregate roofs?

1 Like

Yeah. Agreed in general (except for the “brilliant rock work” thing).

I am gonna see what I have time to do. Roofs are important because we are always looking down on the models. I lean toward 3D things as opposed to texture, but otherwise agree.

If I had a week left, no problem.

1 Like

A temporary roof, while the engineer recalculates the load and designs the bearing beams :grin:

1 Like

Ah! The BS solution! That should have come naturally to me. I must be slipping.

My sister gave my dad a can of BS repellent. I suspect he emptied it in a few days.

I have a plan in mind. We’ll see how it works…

Jim, I have a can of that sitting on the shelf in the shop. If you need some I can spray some in a Zip Lock and send it down. :laughing:

Ha! You need to save it in case I come visit again!

I may not need the extra day. Ha! That guarantees that I will. :slight_smile:

Working on several things to zazz up my roof.

Ladder up the back:

Vents:

Flag pole:

2 Likes

Other than waiting for the ladder paint to dry, this is done for Mik purposes. Still want to do the interior, last bit of light wiring to do to get ready to place on the layout.

Wish I had a flag. You will all need to use your copious amounts of imagination.

2 Likes

Sure looks good. Nice work!

Dang Jim that came out great. I will say it again. Brilliant rock work. Now that the details are on it looks even better.

1 Like

Ladder. Made from brass. Used the same jig from my railtruck.

2 Likes

That looks awesome!

I LOVED working with brass. It’s so strong and, with a jig, fairly easy to custom make almost anything.

Great job!

1 Like

Ok. Done. Got the last bit of wiring done, added a floor (first step toward interior), and put some wood trim under the eaves so the roof had just a bit more pizazz.

The safe and banker guy are just set in there for show.

5 Likes

OK Jim… what year is this? So I figure out what the flag that would be flying looks like?

1 Like

1930s

What is that? 48 states?

Here is a closer image, focused on the safe.

3 Likes

Holy cow Jim, you’ve hit it out of the park! I’d almost forgotten about the safe, but wow it’s fantastic behind that big window. Your roof came out great, especially with the trim, seams, flagpole, etc. And the lights are awesome.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely stunning, Jim. You always make what would otherwise be a simple building look so realistic. The rock work looks like you placed each one by hand ( I guess you actually did :grin:). The safe just brings it home and the sign … well, what can I say about the sign … the designer did a great job, but the manufacturer is a little questionable :laughing: Great work.

2 Likes

Great job Jim, that little addition really improved the looks of the roof :+1:

1 Like

I keep thinking I am done being in love with this building then she shows a couple more inches of calf.

1 Like