Large Scale Central

Jan's and Ric's Great Adventure in 2020

1 January, 2020 - Ridge Live Steamers, Dundee, Florida

Yes Folks, the documentation of our travels continues on these pages. The New Year finds us once again at one of our favorite locations. This is our 5th New Year here and it still is fun.

Friday will be the second 1 1/2 inch scale Ops of this Winter Season. All that want to participate or just watch are welcome. It is based on the traditional Car Card/Waybill format, but with the added challenge of extra riding cars to carry the switching crews. There are also Passenger Trains running on the hour to a schedule and they have priority. There is usually room on one of these trains, if someone wants to just observe and ride. V.I.P. treatment is given to those that R.S.V. P., but walk-ins are always welcome. Just don’t be surprised if you get pulled into joining the fun.

21 March, 2020 - Carlyle

Sitting on the couch in the living room of our duplex. Bo is by my side and Jan is working on a quilt. Watching a Marathon of “Fast and Furious”. We left the Ridge Live Steamers on Monday the 16th of March and got home on the 18th. Simple trip, nothing exciting. Probably the best under the current circumstances.

It was a good Winter. Made it home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 4 Car Card/ Waybill Ops Sessions at Ridge. Last one ended Sunday the 15th of March. Old guys are beginning to have to give to the younger members as the old guys want to put things away starting at 2pm on the Sunday of Ops and the young guys that just have weekends off say, “Its the middle of Sunday afternoon, we aren’t ready to quit.” Old guys are too tired to argue, so youth continues to play. Yeah, I went in about 3 pm.

Lost a controller on the 1.5 inch Railbus this Winter, but installed a new one and it made the passenger schedule of every Ops. Picked up a 1.5 - 3 axle Box Cab. Should pull like a beast. Yeah, I’ve got a thing for Box Cabs. Got some ideas and gives me another project to work on. Maybe it will keep hours off the Railbus.

Haven’t even begun to unload the pickup, Spring has not arrive in Southern Illinois, yet. We’ve seen more rain in the last 4 days in Carlyle, than we saw all Winter in Florida. So working on the HO switching layout in the warmth of the spare room inside. Nice, dry and warm. I’ll try to get an update on that site. The Governor of Chicago has declared a lock down on all of us inmates in Illinois, so there is plenty of time to work on things.

Came home at our scheduled time. Next schedule outing is a trip to Brunt’s for KOPS2020, we’ll see if that works out. After that is the May Bluestone Southern Ops. Still walkin and talkin, so as I always say and try to convince myself “Life is Good!”

x

x

o

x o x

o x o

now what

I’ll bite - What?

Jan has to keep her feet off the dashboard. It was blocking my view of the highway…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Spring comes and goes here in PA, one day it’s in the 70’s, the next in the 40’s. Now we have snow in the forecast. But the grass is still growing.

Ken Brunt said:

Jan has to keep her feet off the dashboard. It was blocking my view of the highway…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Spring comes and goes here in PA, one day it’s in the 70’s, the next in the 40’s. Now we have snow in the forecast. But the grass is still growing.

What kinda grass?

Rooster ’ said:

Ken Brunt said:

What kinda grass?

The green kind.

Rooster ’ said:

Ken Brunt said:

What kinda grass?

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it couldn’t last
Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some California grass

26 April, 2020 - Still in Carlyle. The Corona Virus certainly has impacted our travels. This was suppose to be the weekend of the trip East to Ken’s OPs, visit Rooster and do some exploring around the EBT and the Pennsylvania Mainline above Mt. Union. Oh well.

The Seneca, our home away from home, is stored out at our son’s. Plugged in on the pad and awaiting our next adventure. It was suppose to be at the Bluestone Southern Ops, next weekend. Oh well.

If anything it may be used as a bunkhouse for our daughter’s family as we plan a distancing family gathering on Mother’s Day. We’ll see if that happens. The Governor of Chicago thinks all of Illinois lives in a ghetto like he enjoys. Parks in our area are beginning to open and as Spring is really here in Southern Illinois. Walks along the Kaskaskia have become part of the daily routine, as Bo needs his exercise. “Social Distancing” just means less meals out and more time to work on railroad projects. All is well, here.

Stay safe, stay away from sick people, stay home if you are sick.

Ric Golding said:

26 April, 2020 - Still in Carlyle. The Corona Virus certainly has impacted our travels. This was suppose to be the weekend of the trip East to Ken’s OPs, visit Rooster and do some exploring around the EBT and the Pennsylvania Mainline above Mt. Union. Oh well.

Stay safe, stay away from sick people, stay home if you are sick.

So you are suggesting staying away from sick people then why would you want to visit me?

The boy actually did something yesterday that has been on my list of things to do but never have done. He visited Hawk Rock with his friend that currently home for a visit then back to base and being deployed (USMC) the middle of this coming week. https://uncoveringpa.com/hiking-hawk-rock-overlook-duncannon

I have done many other outlooks and trails which he has not but damnation he made me jealous with the pic he sent me .

The Susquehanna river is to the right and Shemans Creek (where Ken and Ralph chased the NP 765? steamer and got covered in ticks a few years ago)

The Pennsy main follows the river. Rockville bridge is just to the south.

No Hollywood I ain’t taking you as you find all the holes and trip and fall too much !

Ralph got all the ticks,I didn’t. I just got the picture.

3 July, 2020 - Finger Lakes Live Steamers, Marengo, New York - well this is proving to be about as weird of year as can be imagined. On the Memorial Day Weekend, we did get to the Michigan Central Railroad in Metamora, Michigan. No Ops, but a good time for a week. And then back to Carlyle. Yesterday, Jan and I arrived at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers.

Setup on this beautiful property in the heart of Amish Country there are few masks and social distancing is easy. But if you want to work on your hobby, this is a pretty good place to endure this strange Summer.

23 July, 2020 - Finger Lakes Live Steamers in upstate New York. The official name of the closest village is Marengo, NY. We sit between Clyde, NY and Lyons, NY, about 1 mile south of the New York Canal System (Erie Canal) if you want to look at the area on GPS. Club tracks are visible to the satellites. Had a chance to see the Neowise Comet with help from Roger Caiazza and a set of binoculars. If you want to see a great picture of the comet, check out ''Pat Bonish Photography" from Cedar Key on Facebook. The guy is a master with a camera and a good friend. I’ve been working on a new boiler for the 7.25 Clishay. Want to fire it with propane, instead of coal. With our travels and my age, coal is just too much trouble. Also working on a velocipede for the 1.5 scale tracks. This is an interesting adventure. Have been successful converting and running the Rail Buggy on 7.5, 7.25 and now 4.75 track. Little bit of a high center of balance and a little bit like riding a motorcycle. A trip around the track once is enough for my back, but fun.

Big adventures have been operating on the Number 1 Gauge track. Have run car cards/ waybills twice here at FLLS. And twice at Roger Caiazza’s home layout, “The Leatherstocking Route”. He has a garden railroad circling his back yard with 4 stations/switching locations. Each is a complete swtching puzzle. We operated one day with car cards, stopping at every other location, one day and then operating a second day running a “milk train” with a switching list as Roger and another MR operating the way freight. On the milk train, you made a complete loop of the railroad between each switching location. Both Car card/Waybills and Switchlists proved challenging and quite enjoyable.

Last week we took a 4 day trip south to the “World of Ken Brunts” in extreme southern Pennsylvania. Stayed in a nice KOA campground along the Brandywine. Pretty, old communities on narrow roads. Yep, getting there with the coach and getting back out was part of the adventure. Operated on Ken’s RGS railroad on Wednesday and that’s when Dave Marconni delivered “the Evil Twins”. He had some relationship with a cat, that he was developing, and didn’t stay very long.

On that Thursday is when Ken and I made a pilgrimage to the EBT. Lots of work being done in preparation for the 60th Anniversary of Tourist Operation on the weekend of August 15th. Quite impressive. Station is being repainted, switches in the yard are being tuned and re-ballasted and ties are being replaced on the 5 miles of track between Orbisonia and the picnic wye. There are large bundles of new ties everywhere. Easily 50 bundles, with around 25 ties in each bundle. People working all over the area. This is very promising. There is a feeling of prosperity in the area, that wasn’t there in the last 20 years of our visits. New houses along the roads and a large lumber mill between Orbisonia and Mt. Union.

Jan and I have never visited this time of year, lots of vegetation blocks your view of many locations where you could see the track in March and even October during the Fall Festival. 2 organizations working with the old trackage. The East Broad Top Foundation in the Orbisonia area and the East Broad Top Preservation Association in the Mt. Union area. Lots of signage up in the Mt. Union area trackage warning of trespassing and a white rail fence between the engine house, the bank and McDonald’s parking lots. Vegetation is so thick you wouldn’t want to walk in the area anyway. We did walk around Orbisonia Yard, but stayed well clear of workers. No one challenged us and we had a nice conversation with the paint contractors at the station. They were the same business that repainted the Bed and Breakfast, this last Spring, and it looks great.

Jon mentioned in another post about future plans. There is a real nice cabin off 522 south of Orbisonia., that Jan and I dreamed over once. This was back in the late 90’s and retirement was just a dream and a wish of what we could/would do. My dream then was to still to do the “circle route” of the Mississippi River System and the Intercoastal. That also included upper New York and the Erie Canal. Well, we explored the Erie Canal for 2 weeks in 1997 on an 18 foot sailboat and now we sit a mile off of it every Summer.

Amazing how this World turns. Still walkin and talkin, as my friend from Long Island says. Still self-isolating and we are very blessed.

Ric, Please say Hi to Roger and the gang at FLLS for me. I ran on Roger’s railway several times and set up my portable in his front yard. My Catatonk Shay steamed well down to the lower part of his property then chugged up the hill but came to an abrupt halt when the “tunnel” under the step to his porch was too low for the Shay’s stack height.

I believe we stayed at that KOA a couple of times when visiting Longwood Gardens.

Good Memories,

Tom

Thanks for the update. Property in the Orbisonia area is really just a pipe dream. Ideally, we would find a really run-down shack that had water, electric and sewer. Tear down the shack and pour a concrete pad for an RV. maybe put up just a roof with no walls to park under. Nothing to maintain when we are not there except grass which could be cut by contract. That dream was hatched long before kids moved to Denver and grand kids happened.

Enjoy your time at Finger Lakes. Had hoped to get out that way this year, but life is just too weird this year.

Tom Bowdler said:

I believe we stayed at that KOA a couple of times when visiting Longwood Gardens.

Good Memories,

Tom

RT 162 outside of West Chester. Right next to the RR tracks.

That’s the one!

13 August, 2020 - Along the Brandywine, again. We are back at the same KOA Campground by Ken Brunt’s. Said good bye to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers for the year on Wednesday morning and headed back here for Ken’s rescheduled KOPS2020. Weather is sketchy tomorrow with some rain, but Saturday should be good. If you can join us for some Large Scale Operations, contact Ken. He’s pretty friendly and open to visitors or observers. Its been a lot of fun in the past and should prove interesting.

Ric Golding said:

If you can join us for some Large Scale Operations, contact Ken. He’s pretty friendly