Large Scale Central

Is This Large Enough?

We are building a new house and in the basement there is a room about 18x22 feet. Just one 36" entry door and nothing else in the room.

Is that large enough to consider for an indoor railroad?

Dennis,
That all depends on what you expect from the layout.
That would be pretty small if you want to run the modern diesel equipment.
But if you’re happy modeling a narrow gauge logging or mining railroad with small motive power, it’s workable.
Ralph

Sure, but depends what you have in mind. 1:32 or 1:29 will result in more possibilities than 1:20.3

You could actually do a really cool 7/8ths RR…all critters and 4 wheel wagons…real wood ties etc

Take a Google search for “Shunting Puzzles”. You might find something you’d like. Actually, that is a lot of room.

Sure it is, 4’ dia, 5’ dia, 6.5’ and even 8’ dia track makes planning for this area more than doable. I’ve done 3 layouts in a 10x20 area of my garage, it can easily be done, but there are a few caviets to be aware of before you dive in. Ralph pointed out the biggest, if your determined to run a great big Dash-9 or PA-1 Dismal your going to have quite a boring layout because it will basicly be nothing but a great big circle. So I’ll second Ralphs question: What do you plan to run? The minimum curve radius you use will determine how creative and extensive you layout will be. Now for indoor use, I am an advocate of R1 (4 foot diam) use, it allows you to get alot of track in a minimal space, allows for a more creative track plan, and maximum operations in the space given, the only real negative is you are limited to using the smaller rolling stock. But if your like me and really enjoy small mining and logging engines and cars, its alot of fun. Here are some ideas of what I have planned using R1s My original layout, demo’ed when the garage was rebuilt:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Borracho%20RR%208x20%20orig%20layout.jpg)

Its replacement, which got downsized

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/GarageLayoutColor%20Model_1small.JPG)

This is planned for a back corner of the yard if I can ever get the area cleared and the fence rebuilt:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/HOUSE-Outdoor%20Layout%20Darj.jpg)

This is two layouts designed for a spare room:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-AlternativesModel_2small_designs-small.jpg)

This is my current layout, based on one of the spare room studies:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-New%20Direction%20Reduex%20Model.jpg)

Here are some ideas based on 8’ dia track should you insist on running great big dismals Spare room using 8’ dia.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-10x11_8-dia_study.jpg)

This was for a forum member looking to put a layout in a 9 x 20 covered patio

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-Randy%20Study.jpg)

One more thing, make sure your turnouts match your minimum dia curvature, more than a couple of newbies have bought 8’ dia track then use R1 turnouts and then wonder why their PA-1 keeps derailing. So 18 x 22 is more than enough, time to start planning :wink:

My indoor layout was in a 10x24 room. Ran SD-40’s and PA’s, F3’s with streamliners, and all manner of 1:20.3 stock including K-27’s. Worst comment I got was “neat”. I ran 4 to 8 foot diameter track. Big loop with a bunch of little stuff inside. You have plenty of room. Of course you listen to those who say you require 20ft radii and do nothing. I think Victor put up some pretty neat ideas.

Build it and they will come.

:smiley:

If I had a room that big in my basement, I’d be taking a serious look at ON3 or ON30.
But sticking with “G”, sure. Go for it and have fun!

And don’t worry about that door, just as long as it swings out, away from the room.
As far as radii, going with R1 would be a big mistake. Apart from the limitations on the operations side, it also looks like … the Dwarf Railway. Cute if you’re keen on cute, but not so hot when you like a bit closer to real life. An other item, get the lowest level up to the “bottom of your rib cage” level. Forget about reverse loops, take up too much space. If you want to turn a train/engine use a Wye or turntable. BTW with the number of C332 track systems on the market, you mix and match whatever fits to what you want.

PS Oh what would I build in that space? A short line/regional railroad that handles all the typical “stuff” but is definitely downsized from the big boys i.e. using smaller engines, having minimal facilities but serving a lot of different customers.

BTW if you could give us some indication on where that door is/will be, one could do a bit of doodling with the software and whip up a few examples using the mix and match method.

So I’ve made a big mistake? somehow I don’t see it that way.

Sorry HJ but I see R1s as perfectly reasonable especially in the confined spaces of an indoor layout, the biggest problem I see again and again with the “wider is better” logic being applied to indoor layouts is that they invariably end up with very very VERY BORING layouts, basicly a great big loop with no interest at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZzGLj_SfQw&feature=g-upl

Here is my previous layout, with a small mining train on it, does it look dwarfish? I don’t think so, if I insisted on ramming a GP9 and a string of 50 foot cars around this layout then it would look wrong, but having size appropriate trains works JUST FINE.

Geez, I’m getting sick and tired of this irrational prejudece against R1s, its just another option in the toolbox and ALL options should be considered. If the OP wanted to run small mining or logging stock why automaticly limit yourself by excluding the most compact track options. Shhesh! If Aristo still made it I would be suggesting considering using their 32" dia R0 curves if need be. :wink:

Victor Smith said:
So I've made a big mistake? somehow I don't see it that way.

Sorry HJ but I see R1s as perfectly reasonable especially in the confined spaces of an indoor layout, the biggest problem I see again and again with the “wider is better” logic being applied to indoor layouts is that they invariably end up with very very VERY BORING layouts, basicly a great big loop with no interest at all.

Vic,

It all depends who designs the layout. And that applies from Z to LS. :wink: :slight_smile:

I see that every day on a variety of fora. :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

This basement is approximately 40x40, and the curves are all over 10’ diameter. Of course, save the storage under the layout, there’s not much else in the basement but trains …

(http://bp3.blogger.com/_3Hdj0jDlqqs/SH_znsUcyyI/AAAAAAAAACI/kHnKEroL_P8/s1600/scrytour4.jpg)

Matthew (OV)

Oops, gave you the wrong dimensions, that was for the workshop.

The Train room is 25x17.5 feet.

My old outside railroad was 20.3 motive power, have a lot of track, but no R1 stuff, minimum curve is 6.5 to 20 feet. Mostly 8 foot curve

Door is double wide and located on the lower left hand side of the 25 foot length. Hinges into the room. Might have them change that to hinge to the hallway.

Wanted to actually do a loop to loop, have one in ‘N’ scale but maybe too much in large-scale for this size room.

As you can tell from my links, I am use to bigger areas for train layouts.

I think you could be fine in that space with 6.5’ to 8’ curves, but keep in mind that the more area that gets taken up by curvature is often less room for yards and sidings. I would use all turnouts at the 6.5’ limit and only use the 8’ where space allows.

One thing to keep in mind, REACH, the wider and therefore deeper your layout gets the harder it gets to reach in to get to derailed cars or couplers or turnouts, something to keep in mind that most indoor layouts try to limit maximum reach to no more than 36 inchs, even that is stretching it, I would suggest keeping a small step ladder handy, I know I use mine all the time.

Of the 25+ club members that came to my open house yesterday all of them commented on how the R1’s ruined the layout. They didn’t like it and were very vocal about it too! They really hated the mix, the LGB euro stuff running on a tight radius trestle above with the 1:20.3 stuff running on 9’ diameter curves down below. All I heard was “the horror”. Some took video and pictures to document the obscenity. One even had the audacity to tell me he wanted to find an LGB 2076 like mine so he could do something similar on his layout to show others the error of my ways. They stayed for hours, some running their own trains and complaining the entire time. Most left stating they’d be back next year to see if I had come to me senses.

:frowning:

Mark that prejudice is something I just dont get, I wonder if you were running Porters and mining cars on the high track would they have had the same reaction?

The two train shows I have taken the Pizza to have had nothing but overwhelmingly positive responces to, even the dyed in the wool HO guys enjoyed it.

Mark V said:
My indoor layout was in a 10x24 room. Ran SD-40's and PA's, F3's with streamliners, and all manner of 1:20.3 stock including K-27's. Worst comment I got was "neat". I ran 4 to 8 foot diameter track.

:smiley:

Mark V said:
Of the 25+ club members that came to my open house yesterday all of them commented on how the R1's ruined the layout. They didn't like it and were very vocal about it too! They really hated the mix, the LGB euro stuff running on a tight radius trestle above with the 1:20.3 stuff running on 9' diameter curves down below. All I heard was "the horror". Some took video and pictures to document the obscenity. One even had the audacity to tell me he wanted to find an LGB 2076 like mine so he could do something similar on his layout to show others the error of my ways. They stayed for hours, some running their own trains and complaining the entire time. Most left stating they'd be back next year to see if I had come to me senses.

:frowning:

Sarcasm…or dual personalities at work :wink:
Ralph

Apologies Victor, what I really need is a “sarcasm” font. Everyone to a man/woman/child loved the layout. The smaller curves were actually very well recieved. The 1:20.3 guys loved it, the “6-axle or die” diesel guys liked it, everyone.

I have the room for Dash 9’s and a long string of auto-carriers. I do not like long strings of auto-carriers…But I can and do appreciate those who model them. Just because I do not care for long lines of container cars does not mean I would call them a “mistake”. A “mistake” is taking someone else’s likes and dislikes as your own.

Ralph Berg said:
Sarcasm.............or dual personalities at work ;)

Ralph

It gets kind of crowded in my mind at times!

OK based on the original dimensions with the door in anassumed location, this is one example of how I would use that space for a 1:29 shortline. Yep it is a loop around the outside but ther is enough stuff to keep the crew(s) happy for “a few moments”. BTW the yellow track is the interchange to the outside world, in an operation scheme one can add and remove rolling stock during the session and really keep things hoping.

(http:///F-PIX/LSC/PlanA.jpg)

And to keep the builder busy ther should be enough space to place industries, stations, an engine facility, ramps, elevators, silos etc. etc.