Large Scale Central

IPP&W - Rebuilding Fir Grove

Ok I’m ready to retire or part time retirement if allowed?

Fred explained to me that they are building a storage shed in Firgrove to store whatever rolling stock is needed over in that area. Good move. Lots of stuff ends up there during a session. It’ll save some time when setting up and breaking down for an operating session.

Correct, Ken; it is a storage “Cabinet”, or building. It will hold 14 trays, seven for each type of operation. The building is basicly finished except for the racks to hold the trays, and the doors. The benchwork is almost complete, and both parts of the building part of the project, hopefully will be completed by next week. Then comes the track laying. Behind the scenes we have been rebuilding newly bought large radius switches, and all the old ones, so that they will be ready for the track laying part of the project.

Yes Bruce; there has been a fair bit of bheer enjoyed on this project. I tried to get the guys to put all the empties on the benchwork, and take a picture of them, but they had already returned them for to the bheer store for refunds…and more full cases…!!!

We figure that this is at least a 100 bheer project…!!!

Ralph Berg said:
Ken Brunt said:
Mexicans have less trouble at the border than I do................;)
And you call me Black Cloud :lol: Ralph
I just consider it all part of the adventure. Like what will the weather be like? Who's all gonna be there? What kinda food will we have? And what idiots will I run into crossing the border? Makes for a few laughs when I get there.................;)

Looking good Fred. 100+ beers for sure :smiley:

Black Cloud must have driven by Danbury recently. My boss told me the other day that my time-off request for July (that I put in over a month ago) might not be approved. Seems the big boss wants the same week and one of the two of us have to be there to cover any problems with computers.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can work this out. Perhaps I’ll be able to get by with just cutting a few days of the tail end that we were going to spend in NY on the way home.

Progress is being made, although I have to pressure Fred for pictures. :wink:

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/IPPW/100_0542.JPG)

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/IPPW/100_0543.JPG)

Nice work.

Nice!

I’m surprised there’s no fridge over there to keep the beer handy…probably gonna hide it in the shed…:wink:

…The bheer is delivered fresh and cold by train…

Fred Mills said:
....The bheer is delivered fresh and cold by train.....
You sir are a total inspiration! My trains have delivered real world produce but never bheer! ;)

WE TRY…!!! vISIT US AND ENJOY…

Fred reports progress! In spite of rain…we got a lot done. The shed is now wired…just the spotlight to install.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/IPPW/100_0545.JPG)

The first yard is complete as far as switches are concerned and most of the track.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/IPPW/100_0544.JPG)

The other Yard throat is started, and one siding is in. (Not shown) The switching lead is in (Not shown)

Looks good Fred. I’m curious about the switch layout. Was the design used to conserve space and keep the tracks closer together?

The reason for the way the yard is layed out, is the angle of the lead. Gord found that he could best use the switches in the manner he did, with the angle of the lead track. Note that there are no “S” curves to worry about. The end of the bench work in the picture, may end up with several industries.
Since we do not operate long trains; we do not require long sidings. The sidings in the picture are not for “Train” storage. They are for car storage.

As some may not understand; we do not store “Trains” on sidings" and run them in circles. “Trains” are made up of “Cars”, that are chosen by the computer program, and are made up into trains as ordered for the operation.
The sidings in the yard are for the storage of cars that arrive on trains destined for this yard at Firgrove.

The “Arrival” and “Departure” tracks are being layed on the benchwork, next to the fence. There will be a new turntable at the far end of that yard, along with loco servicing and storage.
The turntable replaces the wye which used to be located here. It is long enough to handle a locomotive, and battery car… No guys; NOT a Dash Nine, or other monster. This is a shortline, which does not require monster locomotives.

Passenger service will be accomodated in the arrival/departure yard. The arriving passenger trains will arrive, then their loco will “Escape” to the turntable for turning, and servicing, while the train is reasembled on a station house track (Stub end siding) by the yard crew and their loco.

Freight trains will be handled much the same, but their cars will be sorted out into the other yard tracks, in the freight yard.

I hope this gives everyone a better idea of the “Plan”…er…what bloody plan…we usually figure it out as we move along. !!!

Father Fred, that is the computer program you use? I am interested. Paul

Paul; thanks for asking. We have been using RaiOps for about three or four years now, and find that it serves us well.

Fred and I agree that railroads evolve. It might be traffic, it might be a new customer, it might be a played out mine, but railroads that survive adjust to changes and demands. Looks like the IPP&WRR is making another adjustment. Wonder if this has to do with that International Traffic they’ve been getting the last 5 or 6 years?
Change is inevitable, growth is optional. :wink: