Large Scale Central

IPP&W Progress for Fr.Fred

Fred asked me to post these photos for him so after resizing here they are. They show the latest progress on rebuilding Rat Jct. on the IPP&W.

Looks like great progress up north and great fun in store for those of you fortunate enough to operate on the IPP&W and meet a wonderful bunch of guys! :slight_smile:

Very nice looking. I like the way it is raised a little above where you walk to save your back. I see you have used what looks like treated 1x6 boards under your track. How long do they last, do you lay them on the ground, or put something under them like sand, and are you happy with this system ? Thanks for the pictures and ideas !

Fr. Fred

What type of block do you use for the retaining walls?

Yes; all my roadbed is pressure treated 2x6/2x8. It lasts well. Some has been in service for over 15 years.

I do try to backfill with crushed stone under the roadbed.

The retaing wall stone is from a local firm, but is a common type that interlocks.

Lookin good, Fred!

Can’t wait to see it in person…:wink:

Looking good, Fred. We’ll see it in about 7 weeks! Looking forward to it.

7 weeks? Holy cow, I have a couple locomotives to refurbish!

Bruce Chandler said:
Looking good, Fred. We'll see it in about 7 weeks! Looking forward to it.
Damn! That soon? Hope my passport gets here before that..........;)

Today is the first day of “Operations” with the new track work in place. Really curious how it all went. The new track at “Rat Portage” should really add to the event.

Don’y worry about a passport , millions have sneaked into the US !

Except they might mistake Ric for an undocumented immigrant. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

If they won’t let me back in to the USA, I hope I can claim political asylum and attend the Wednesday work sessions and Saturday runs on the IPP&WRR, until we get it worked out, say be October. I mean the fight would be with the US, not with Canada, so I should be allowed to roam free in Canada, right? Imagine me an expatrioted American, sounds like another Jimmy Buffett song.

I worry though, Ric. You might get to liking Fr. Fred’s Holy Water too much and not want to come back…:smiley:

If the rain moves away before Thursday; we are planning a NG operation this coming weekend.
The new trackage has been checked out, and it is now ready for service. There is one more small track project to do. It is an additional "Interchange track at Glen Hammond.

Doug is working maddly on the track plan, so that it can be brought up-to-date on the web page.

Hey Fred
Are you guys gradually replacing those wide switches with #6s? it looks like it…

Yes, Bob. In some cases we are. We still use the Aristo wide radius switches for most applications.
When we decided to rebuild and realign Ironwood. We looked at the possibilities, and decided to use #6’s at the two ends, and to avoid “S” curves as much as possible.

I find that shimming the guard rail on the diverging route, serves to solve the major problem with those WR switches.

Its great to hear and see a “branchline railroad” with such a positive attitude for the future. When other railroads are abandoning trackage and cutting back on service, its nice to see the expansion and upgrades. Having to wait until July for the “Invasion” is getting harder and harder. I guess it is still too early to start packing.

As I see it Ric its the holly warter you are really after and not much into RR. HE HE Later RJD

Ric has been known to promote a mixture of holy waters that will kick the sox off most any red blooded soul.

Don't ever suggest that Ric isn't into railroading. Railroading is in his blood.

Those who have questioned why we head toward Fred’s and are other Friends in July have got to experience what the “Invasion” is really all about. Its all Ken’s fault. He started it. If you can imagine, the “Invasion” is like the best part of a train show gathering of people, that goes on for more than one or two evenings. There are evenings gathered around a fire, morning coffee as the sun come up and afternoon swims in the heat of the day. Great bike rides and lazy sitting by the canal. July in Ottawa has proven to be sometimes as hot as a warm Midwest Spring or Fall day. Those days that are hot in the middle of the afternoon, but cool in the morning and evening. The locals think it is pretty warm, but we are enjoying the break from our depressing humid July lower Midwest heat. Besides all that, we get to play with trains from morning to night with friends that share the same interest. What more could you want?