Large Scale Central

Interesting post at the Aristo forum.

http://www.aristocraftforum.com/vbulletinforums/showthread.php?t=21085

I wonder how long it will be there?

Not long, apparently.

I got to read it, I guess Getting up early to clock in at work has an benefit once in a while.

It’s Gone now. I almost copied it.

Tony, you started this thread, you wan’t to paraphrase the post, or do you want me to?

I also read the thread. Yet another negative large scale post. No wonder we are losing ground to other scales and hobbies.

For the curious in a nutshell the post was about the need for different diesel sounds not just one sound for all the different types of diesels.

What would be a positive step. on this Forum (generally a positive place anyway) would be to mention a company that actually makes different sounds for different diesels. As I do not want sound - other than the ‘chuff-chuff’ of my steamers - I am not aware of these companies.

Hi Dave,

I was so gob smacked at the audacity of it I didn’t copy it.

At least I was not alone seeing it before it was whisked away.

Seemed like he was a very aggrieved poster who felt he had to vent his spleen at how he believed he had been treated.

His other post there in the battery forum got pulled too.

Alan Lott said:

For the curious in a nutshell the post was about the need for different diesel sounds not just one sound for all the different types of diesels.

Not having seen the original thread, but having several Revolution receivers, having other sounds available for the receiver has been a long-promised-but-not-delivered feature, and one of the reasons many of use went with the Revo to begin with.

Bob there was a bit more said than merely commenting on the sameness of the sounds. Comments that I would not care to repeat in public.

Edit for spelling.

I note your caution Tony. I tried to avoid writing much myself. You know how things soon flame on Fora.

Still hope someone will mention if diesel sounds are available - just in case I decide to go ‘noisy’ in the future.

He believed he had a better “system”, then what was out there. I got the impression that he was snubbed by the powers to be, and could not believe that they wouldn’t jump all over his better product.

I also got the impression that he was going to go it on his own ( like introduce his own “better” sound system). We will see.

BTW I thought that he was also talking steam.

Since I run DCC I’m not really in the loop on how some of those hybrid versions (e.g Airwire with Battery and a DCC sound decoder) could/would/should work. But from a cursory look (I don’t run NA diesels) at the sound projects that are offered by the decoder mfgs and their associates that could be the answer.

BTW there was an interesting interview from the Nürnberg Fair with the manager of the MLGB division. According to his statement Märklin has an audio team that records the original sound(s) of a given engine. That can run into real money.

The first question anyone from the RRs asks me when I’m filming: “Is this a hobby or commercial?” Much the same if one is after specific sound, but that is more involved.

I aggree with Alan. As this forum continues to bad mouth EVERY manufacturer we loose more and more potential hobbiest. This is eventually going to lead to less and less amanufaturers and NO new products.

The major problem with Scott and Navin is they have little finical resources to work with. I do not see anyone here willing to step up to the plate and lend any sort of cash(even a few thousand) to releive this pressure.

Like Charlie stated many months ago. If a nay sayer thinks an imporvement on a product is needed, why doesn’t he call the manufacturer and outlay the funds for the improvement, which would be returned to the investor IF the product sells at the additional cost the improvement would add to the retail price. Talk is cheap when one has no investment.

AS one retailer put it at last years ESLST, Many of the hobbist on these forums, especcially this one, are the worst enemies to the hobby. It appeas their mission is to let the world know this is a hobby of over priced junk

thomas prevost said:

I aggree with Alan. As this forum continues to bad mouth EVERY manufacturer we loose more and more potential hobbiest. This is eventually going to lead to less and less amanufaturers and NO new products.

The major problem with Scott and Navin is they have little finical resources to work with. I do not see anyone here willing to step up to the plate and lend any sort of cash(even a few thousand) to releive this pressure.

Like Charlie stated many months ago. If a nay sayer thinks an imporvement on a product is needed, why doesn’t he call the manufacturer and outlay the funds for the improvement, which would be returned to the investor IF the product sells at the additional cost the improvement would add to the retail price. Talk is cheap when one has no investment.

AS one retailer put it at last years ESLST, Many of the hobbist on these forums, especcially this one, are the worst enemies to the hobby. It appeas their mission is to let the world know this is a hobby of over priced junk

Oh dear! Another deep breath required!

On the “Talk is cheap”, quite correct. There are a number of mfgs in the MRR hobby who got away with the cheap talk aka Promises, Promises.

No, it is not only in LS, but generally speaking those who announce and deliver are doing quite well, even in the downturn.

How the rest is doing we can read in the fora and the hobby press.

thomas prevost said:

I’m going to take huge exception to these statements. There’s a gigantic difference between “the trucks on the Shay fall apart” and “bad mouthing a manufacturer”. Most of the gripes about products are legitimate complaints. Speaking to my own purchases, the first generation Shay trucks were garbage, and broke apart. The Climax driveline was designed incorrectly and bound, the Connie and K27 gearing was wonky. The 45 tonner bucks going downgrade. All of these are legitimate complaints, but they are also things that should have been caught with any due diligence before hundreds of units were sold. I shouldnt have had to BUY the updated trucks for my Shays. I’m not the one running the business, I shouldnt have to outlay the money for a manufacturer to correct his own manufacturing process.

You’ll find that the ‘bad mouthing manufacturers’ was from a very small vocal minority of users, most of whom no longer post here because they dont like the rules, were specifically asked to NOT post here any more, or were outright banned. The majority of the members on this site want decent products and will pay for them when they are offered.

Realizing some only read one or two posts in retro, this is what I actually said.

So far no one has commented on my question about diesel sounds. I raised the question hoping to deflect a flame war, seems it didn’t work. lol

I also read the thread. Yet another negative large scale post. No wonder we are losing ground to other scales and hobbies.

What would be a positive step. on this Forum (generally a positive place anyway) would be to mention a company that actually makes different sounds for different diesels. As I do not want sound - other than the ‘chuff-chuff’ of my steamers - I am not aware of these companies.

Alan Lott said:

Realizing some only read one or two posts in retro, this is what I actually said.

So far no one has commented on my question about diesel sounds. I raised the question hoping to deflect a flame war, seems it didn’t work. lol

Phoenix, IMHO, has the best sound quality, and features. And they’re programmable, too, so you can set various timings, sounds, etc.

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/sound/tableindex.htm

Above the list of the sound projects for the ZIMO DCC sound decoders, scroll down to USA.

PS Many (most) have a sound sample to listen to.

I read it right after Tony posted…

some dude was pi$$ed about getting short stinky end of stick and was taking his marbles elsewhere…didn’t make much sense to me… the Revo came/went during my hiatus…I miss my Sierra Soundtraxx mating with my affordable/simple to install and operate RC gear…

Thanks Bob and HJ.

It is unlikely that I would be considering anything before the sun starts shining again! Anyway I have bookmarked to info.

Sure would be great if your going to start a thread about a post on another forum that

you could post it here, other wise why bother with speculation? Lets hear what they said…

Bob McCown said:

thomas prevost said:

I’m going to take huge exception to these statements. There’s a gigantic difference between “the trucks on the Shay fall apart” and “bad mouthing a manufacturer”. Most of the gripes about products are legitimate complaints. Speaking to my own purchases, the first generation Shay trucks were garbage, and broke apart. The Climax driveline was designed incorrectly and bound, the Connie and K27 gearing was wonky. The 45 tonner bucks going downgrade. All of these are legitimate complaints, but they are also things that should have been caught with any due diligence before hundreds of units were sold. I shouldnt have had to BUY the updated trucks for my Shays. I’m not the one running the business, I shouldnt have to outlay the money for a manufacturer to correct his own manufacturing process.

BINGO…What I’ve been saying for years…