Large Scale Central

Installing ladder track

Thanx.

Bob, go to the Hardware store an look for a Gad, about 1" or 1 1/4" Hex Chisel, Surveyor’s call a bull prick good for hard ground when you want to put in a wooden stake. You might be able to berrow one to try it out. If you liced a little closer you could try out mine!

Paul

Don told me about using a bulb planter drill bit. It goes down about 24", hooked to your drill. Then pound the pipe down a bit more and backfill. Jerry

You could try Alphy Nobel’s new product. :smiley:

The bulb planter bits are available in several sizes. I use a smaller one for ‘planting’ scale retainer wall posts and a larger one for 1 1/2" square stakes. They work very well in my relatively rock-free hard clay soil, but might not work where there is a significant rock population.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry,
It was a 3" auger I got from Marty. It was for a dog tie up in the yard, it was a auger with a loop on the end for a chain, or rope. Marty cut the end off and it fits into a 1/2 drill.

E. Paul Austin said:
Bob, go to the Hardware store an look for a Gad, about 1" or 1 1/4" Hex Chisel, Surveyor's call a bull prick good for hard ground when you want to put in a wooden stake. You might be able to berrow one to try it out. If you liced a little closer you could try out mine!

Paul

I’ve got all sorts of things like that, including a hand-driven well-head bit. I really cant get much more than a foot into the ground until I encounter a basketball-sized rock. I think I need to buy a backhoe to install the RR.

Bob McCown said:
E. Paul Austin said:
Bob, go to the Hardware store an look for a Gad, about 1" or 1 1/4" Hex Chisel, Surveyor's call a bull prick good for hard ground when you want to put in a wooden stake. You might be able to berrow one to try it out. If you liced a little closer you could try out mine!

Paul

I’ve got all sorts of things like that, including a hand-driven well-head bit. I really cant get much more than a foot into the ground until I encounter a basketball-sized rock. I think I need to buy a backhoe to install the RR.

Just jack up the house 4 feet and bring in a corresponding amount of fill :lol:
Ralph

“I think I need to buy a backhoe to install the RR.”

That is what David McCurdy did. Bought a back hoe for his retirement to build his RGS. Big rocks are just a source of landscaping material if you can handle them easily.

Well gang, Here’s the update: The ladder has reached the projected end point for this season.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LadderTrack39_s.jpg)

The flag is attached to the main that is (eventually) heading to “Bergün”.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LadderTrack40_s.jpg)

In order to achieve a “more pleasing” contour of the landscape :open_mouth: I’ll add a tunnel in the section below “Muot”. As one can’t see the two portals at one glance that should work quite well. A lot better than the cut that was necessary to get the line through there. The 20/20 hindsight moment: I should have moved the front edge (Seedorf station) even farther out, but there was a time when SWMBO had more of a hankering for lawn than she does now; alas that’s where things are. Make them work! PS Now I’m just waiting for more ties to lay more track!

Looking good… I really like flowing curves, instead of the cookie=cutter sectional track look

HJ,
Great that you made your acheivable goal. Do you feel you will get track on all of this ladder, this year?

That’s the plan, just as soon as the ties arrive. (Dave said 2 weeks)

In the meantime lots of other stuff to do in order to get things operational before the snow flies.

Oh yeah, there is shovelling, shovelling and for a change … shovelling. That is whenever I don’t move more rocks around. :wink: :slight_smile: