Large Scale Central

Installing ladder track

Hi all, This isn’t what I had planned, the change in plan is entirely the fault of advocates on LSC - thanks guys!!! But the change only concerns the roadbed, all the other lunacies remain in place with more being added as we go. Seriously, all the detailed info with the pros and cons really helped. Which just left the sourcing and the work. :wink: :smiley:

OK someone mentioned that TREX goes like a wet rag in the heat. I clamped the stuff, let it sit for two day and hey… it remains in the intended bend!

On the PVC pipes: I tapered the one end to make it easier to drive. Works very well unless there’s a major obstruction i.e. “who left this %$*&@# rock in the way?” Other than that: …

Gentle curve for an industrial siding - one of the new features - no problem, including a very slight drop away from the mainline.

Yes, I had to get “a few more” of the Quick Clamps. When it comes to money vs convenience … convenience wins!

The coach in the picture is the longest piece of equipment on the railway, there will be a slight rounding off of the corner (near the sledge) since the 5mm clearance isn’t up to regulations (can’t have the “good stuff” be scratched. The tunneling under the stairs provided some interesting moments in order to get smooth flowing track. Of course I could have built it exactly as I had it on the plan, but SWMBO would be less than pleased if I would have skimmed even more of her rose garden. :wink: Them’s the pragmatic trade offs. Moving right along towards the location of the tunnels under the waterfall, looks like next week will be slugging time again. Moving lots of rock and aggregate. :frowning: :slight_smile: :frowning: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Looks like your plan is coming together…:wink:

HJ,

Very nice work. I think you will be pleased that you have taken the time to pay very close attention to clearnace details. However, don’t expect it to ever be large enough as equipment keeps changing, evolving and getting longer as we progress towards constantly more accurately scaled equipment.

Very nice! I wish I could have drove my pipe into the ground. Would have saved a lot of work.

You have been busy as a beaver HJ , Nice progress

Have you beeen soldering the joints or jumpers , Seen the solder gun in the pic .

Ric Golding said:
HJ,

Very nice work. I think you will be pleased that you have taken the time to pay very close attention to clearnace details. However, don’t expect it to ever be large enough as equipment keeps changing, evolving and getting longer as we progress towards constantly more accurately scaled equipment.

Ric,

Good points for those who change with the times - that just isn’t me, sorry :wink: :). I’m stuck in the 1969 - 75 era on the RhB in the Albula Valley, equipment is a known quantity.
BTW that mother of a coach is made by KISS to proper scale; it is only this year that they also offer them in a shorty version for the “space challenged” and to “harmonise” with the LGB shorties.

Dennis,

Yep, I soldered the rail joiners that are in “the tunnel”, I can do without kinky surprises that may or may not throw things off the rails.

That’s looking great!

-Brian

"BTW that mother of a coach is made by KISS to proper scale; it is only this year that they also offer them in a shorty version for the “space challenged” and to “harmonise” with the LGB shorties. "

What scale?

Ric Golding said:
"BTW that mother of a coach is made by KISS to proper scale; it is only this year that they also offer them in a shorty version for the "space challenged" and to "harmonise" with the LGB shorties. "

What scale?

Ric

Scale is a precise 1:22.5, the length of the coach is 780mm (30.7").

Thanks for the update on your progress. I have track laid out for a new section and may decide to change plans on the roadbed. My wife tells me if we get all the other projects done on her list this weekend, I might get to work on the layout a few hours in the evening. Usually its already dark by the time we get around to those few hours… She did specifically mention that staying home this weekend to work in the yard was not the same as working on the railroad. ;(

Paul

Paul Lambert said:

She did specifically mention that staying home this weekend to work in the yard was not the same as working on the railroad. ;(

Paul

Hmmmmmmmmm … sounds to me like she’s overdue for a re-training course. :wink:
Meantime I’m pushing the progress - including rearranging the ground contours - so that SWMBO has some work on the layout on the weekend.

Speaking of ground contours, I now have a better appreciation for the pioneer railway builders; that cut and fill by hand is quite a bit of work!

HJ,

That’s looking great! The yard/junction in the 4th photo looks especially interesting. I like the look of the trackwork there very much. Too, I hope the Trex ladder trackage works out well for you.

(I still don’t think you’re doing all that hard work by yourself…poor wife) :wink: :slight_smile:

Richard,

You said - (I still don’t think you’re doing all that hard work by yourself…poor wife)

If you’ll notice, HJ never breaks a swet in that signature picture of his.

Ric Golding said:
Richard,

You said - (I still don’t think you’re doing all that hard work by yourself…poor wife)

If you’ll notice, HJ never breaks a swet in that signature picture of his.

You know? That makes me suspicious as well!

Looking good HJ!

Yeah hehehe, SWMBO plants the whatever greenery, poses all the pertinent questions and gives me moral support. Now what more would a reasonable man want, eh??? :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

I like that stair material, the texture ,we don’t have that kind here! As far as heat with the Trex, what do you far Northerners call heat 80 ;>) I used the never rot stuff. Can we see a view of the stairs from another angle or two ?

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Hmmmmmmmmm ......... sounds to me like she's overdue for a re-training course. ;)
Ha! She's been trying to retrain me for over twenty years! As predicted, I did not get to work on the layout over the weekend (at least not before dark). On the other hand, with all the rain this spring the forest has been overtaking us, so I really had no choice but to do some clearing. I think I will have to take a few days off during the week, when I can work without the extra supervision. ;)
Paul Lambert said:
... I think I will have to take a few days off during the week, when I can work without the extra supervision. ;)
You too, eh? ;)

Bryan Johnson said:
I like that stair material, the texture ,we don’t have that kind here! As far as heat with the Trex, what do you far Northerners call heat 80 ;>) I used the never rot stuff. Can we see a view of the stairs from another angle or two ?

Bryan The stair material is standard concrete patio slabs.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/Stairs04s.jpg)

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/RetWalls01s.jpg)

BTW hot in the Okanagan Valley (here at the house!) is 100ºF (38ºC), cold is 0F.