Large Scale Central

Indoor Daydreams

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Tiling a big square room will be easier that trying to custom fit tile around the cabinets. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

…and alot faster!

I was thinking ease of tiling, and keeping the wooden cabinets up off the concrete. I don’t know about your house, but the concrete in this house weeps a little when the ground is good and wet. That weeping can rot wooden cabinets, if they are in direct contact with the cement.

David, if your concrete weeps then you should place the cabinets on pressure treated lumber like 2x4PT or 1x4PT. Even if you tile under the cabinets or you place them on them directly on the concrete floor. Any wood that is in contact with the concrete should be Pressure Treated. All house framing has a Pressure Treated sill for all walls that are in contact with concrete. I have over 45 years of construction experience as a Carpenter, Superintendent and Project Manager. I also have a degree in Construction Engineering and one of the first things we were told is do not put untreated lumber direct on the ground or concrete. The moisture will destroy it in a short time.

Well here is what I would do… I would not tile it if we were worried about discoloration. Personally I have had cabinets sitting on a concrete floor for about 16 years and have had no problems as of yet. Building a railroad is really messy. The only thing I wish I had done different was seal the floor with some type of epoxy paint . Then use the the rubber mats if I needed a different look. You can tile a floor anytime. when you sell you r house that is …

Ty

I am not worried about weeping. But the best reason for tiling first and putting cabinets on top is for resale. If I decide to sell and have to tare it all out the floor won’t look like a chopped up mess. And it would be far easier to tile.

So I did jump the gun a bit and built the beginnings of the work bench. Needed more space for working on trains and also this is my man cave so I do my homework here and listen to my music watch movies hide and even sleep at times. I got a little present from the wife that includes a flat screen tv with wall mount and a 5 speaker PC sound system that actually rock the room pretty well. The bench is 57X28X28 high. It is 3/4 MDF that will eventually have formica on top. To the left of it will be a 18" deep L section coming off that will extend to the length of the window. This will be MDF base with a tile top. This will be where I can solder or pour molten metal and wont mess up the top if I spill. I will also install and window exhaust fan for painting and pour metal so the fumes can be sucked out. The big cabinet will be replaced eventually by the layout.

Devon Sinsley said:

I am not worried about weeping. But the best reason for tiling first and putting cabinets on top is for resale. If I decide to sell and have to tare it all out the floor won’t look like a chopped up mess. And it would be far easier to tile.

So I did jump the gun a bit and built the beginnings of the work bench. Needed more space for working on trains and also this is my man cave so I do my homework here and listen to my music watch movies hide and even sleep at times. I got a little present from the wife that includes a flat screen tv with wall mount and a 5 speaker PC sound system that actually rock the room pretty well. The bench is 57X28X28 high. It is 3/4 MDF that will eventually have formica on top. To the left of it will be a 18" deep L section coming off that will extend to the length of the window. This will be MDF base with a tile top. This will be where I can solder or pour molten metal and wont mess up the top if I spill. I will also install and window exhaust fan for painting and pour metal so the fumes can be sucked out. The big cabinet will be replaced eventually by the layout.

click here

I want the chair.

Ha the infamous yellow chair. Its a hideous looking creation from a bygone era. But it has a great deal of sentimental value to my wife. It was her great grandmother’s and my wife sat on her lap many times spinning in circles. She won’t ever let it go but she also thinks its so ugly that she doesn’t want it in her part of the house. So I get it. And I have to say its very comfortable at the bench. It is a great height and it swivels so It will be my chair. I do get to upholster it, the materiel is rotting and she has conceded that if we keep it it needs new clothes. I am hoping she will let me make it out of elk hide leather. It won’t be cheap but elk hide has a great color and is softer than calf leather. I could sit down in my cave naked on an elk hide leather chair. . .(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif). There wont be pictures of that and therefore it will never have happened.

Oh Gawd! My internal eyes!

Mercy!

John Caughey said:

Oh Gawd! My internal eyes!

Mercy!

Yikes!

Yea, that was a mental picture I didn’t need. Thanks Devon.

I have a trash find chair my my workroom. Its padded, but firm enough that it offers good support for those all night work sessions. Them all night work sessions, that I haven’t done for years, because my job has been wearing me out too much.