Large Scale Central

Indoor Daydreams

Korm, he is doing tight curves, that is why he was asking about the short 2 axle rolling stock in another thread.

Korm there isn’t anything five feet on this layout. This is from the school of Vic. The loops are 30" diameter. Turnouts are R1. One thing that isn’t shown here is that the area behind the mine mill is a tunnel and the area under the mine itself will be a tunnel. That will have a big hole cut in the bench work for access for emergency rescue. All other reaches are less than 30" and in key areas to reach a switch is 24" or less. That switch behind the mine mill will be the worst and I am probably going to make it a flop switch so that I don’t need to switch it. It might be a matter of visualizing scale. The widest piece of bench work from the turn table to the right side is 57"so half that is 26.5 inches of reach it is accessible from three sides. Now the one area I am most worried about reach is the turnout leading into the turn table on the right that one will be a reach about 30". Its not an ideal world but I don’t think there is anything that wont be manageable.

i quote myself: “if i am not missunderstanding something,…”

i did not realize, that you are already Vic-timized. :wink:

Devon, in the olde days, HO modelers used choke cables (like car choke cables and knobs) to throw switches that were beyond reach.

Yeah I’d it gets to that point I will do something. That’s a good idea simple and easy. I will file that one away.

Version v5.2 looks pretty simple and workable. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Narrow Gauge Lover said:

Version v5.2 looks pretty simple and workable. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I actually really like this plan for the very two reasons you list. It is an indoor small layout. This allows for some operation without become to cluttered. Also things change as you build and this will allow for some modification. The basis of this whole conversation was developing a workable plan so i can build cabinets. I think this is workable. It will likely change as i lay down track but this is a good starting point.

But I am still open for suggestions. You guys are great. Nice to have so many eyes.

i would hang the cabinets at least two foot above the layout.

that gives you enough height for realistic heights of trees.

Now show it to the Boss and get back to us!

Put your Station in the Wye so it can service trains in either direction and put a team track spot where it was.

Are we having fun yet?

John

Korm,

The cabinets will be on the floor; they will be the base upon which the layout sits. They will all be a base height of 36" For the most part they will be where the orange is. The orange is the base of the layout and I will fit cabinets underneath however they best fit. The only area that wont have cabinets will be over where the mine is so I can access under the layout to service the tunnels. That’s why I am trying to develop a design so that when I begin to remodel the room I can install all the base cabinets where they need to go and then do the flooring. My wife’s prerequisite was that it look like it belongs there and not just a bench with a train on it. Plus we need the storage. This will be where I keep my collection of junk as well as my rapidly growing library. There likely will be no cabinets above the layout at all.

Sean the boss has seen this one and I have addressed her concerns. She really doesn’t care what I do beyond having access to the utility closet/pantry (the stupid door) and making it look like a nice finished room and not a basement shop. The steps, the light grey box on the lower right and the dark grey strip heading up the right side wall to the top left where the other light grey box is is the pathway to the utility room and where the light grey box is tot he right is the door you go through. that walkway is 45 inches wide. So the base of the steps to the layout is 30" and you turn right and go around the landing post and it then widens to 45" all the way tot he stupid door. So should be plenty of room to maneuver stuff in and out of that room which was a concern of hers. I mean what ever goes in there has to fit through a 32" door so we should be good.

So I think this bench plan will last.

John,

I have toyed with that idea on some of the earlier revisions 2.0 and 3.0. I never come up with a plan that I think i will like for the space. In order to get he station in the Wye and have a decent size station it makes the Wye very big and since the Wye fees the Turn table it makes for a very large space. I love the concept but just never had a design I liked. One scrambled thought was to build a station over the Wye allowing trains to pass through or under the station. Or at least one leg. I don’t know. And that is not a real tough stretch given the prototype town that is the basis for my ideas. It was cramped and a lot off stuff was put wherever they could fit it. A hotel was built over the tracks why not the station.

That will come way down the road. Need to build the cabinets first and that can’t happen until I finish some other remolding projects.

do the floor AFTER the cabinets?

Yes do the floor after the cabinets. I have a Concrete floor now and am going to tile the floor. I see no reason to tile under permanent cabinets. Is there one? Seems to me to be a waste of tile when 75% of the floor won’t be seen. I don’t know I thought that’s how it was done. My kitchen has the cabinets straight on the sub floor then the particle board was put down around it and the laminate down on that. I know I had to replace it. Is that not normal? I mean I really don’t know. Just seems like a waste to tile so much space that will never bee seen.

Devon Sinsley said:

Yes do the floor after the cabinets. I have a Concrete floor now and am going to tile the floor. I see no reason to tile under permanent cabinets. Is there one? Seems to me to be a waste of tile when 75% of the floor won’t be seen. I don’t know I thought that’s how it was done. My kitchen has the cabinets straight on the sub floor then the particle board was put down around it and the laminate down on that. I know I had to replace it. Is that not normal? I mean I really don’t know. Just seems like a waste to tile so much space that will never bee seen.

Cabinets then tile. Cabinets then tile. yes.

Narrow Gauge Lover said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Cabinets then tile. Cabinets then tile. yes.

Well that depends, is there ANY chance that somewhere down the line this room might be used for some other purpose? I’m also thinking about inevitability if you ever want to sell the house, then having the entire floor finished would be a better selling point than a half finished one. Just something to consider.

I’m planning to cover the concrete in my garage layout area with rubber anti-fatigue mattes. That way if I need to ever repurpose the area the mattes will readily come up.

Actually Vic that makes sense. Especially when we are talking tile. That would not be an easy tare out and replace. And it is a small room not like it would be radically more expensive. I never considered the resale thing. I don’t every really think about that possability because we have no plans to ever move but the road to hell is paved with great intentions. So I will likely heed that advice.

It’s going to be a nice layout, Devon. Now get to work on the remodeling projects so you can get the cabinets built so we can see some pictures.

Tile that has been hidden under the cabinets for years . . . . will not match the exposed tile that has wear on it. Any new owner of the place that wanted to take the cabinets out would in all probability re-tile the entire floor anyhoo . . . . just my “think” on it.

Tiling a big square room will be easier that trying to custom fit tile around the cabinets. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)