Large Scale Central

I'm getting an itch for another loco..

Hi my name is Todd and I have a problem with trains… I can’t stop buying them.
I’m thinking about a small Bachmann steamer like a 2-6-0 or maybe taking a 4-6-0 and bashing it up? I do like small engines and recently picked up a PIKO 0-6-0 and a LGB Amercanised Stainz.

I am also seriously considering a a USAT GP30. I have 3 other USAtrains and I like them. I would repaint this one to resemble the local Cape Cod Coastal. Does anyone have a GP30 and how do you like it?

I’m just kicking tires right now but if something came along at a good price… I might not be able to resist.
So any of you guys ever get the urge to spend money that you shouldn’t on trains that you don’t really need?? LOL

I said I wasn’t going to buy any trains until I had my track work built. Well, that was one aristo gp40, a usa trains sd40-2, 2 aml hopper cars, an aristo sp box car, and 3 evans box cars ago…and a custom bridge. lol. I’ve been itching for a NS or csx dash 9 for awhile. I actually found one, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Too many other things the railroad NEEDS first. lol. I may have a problem too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Todd,

I believe the engine you don’t know you already need is actually the AML GP60. (Maybe if you order one, the one I ordered will actually happen! )

Todd Haskins said:

I’m thinking about a small Bachmann steamer like a 2-6-0.

I have a Bachmann 2-6-0 (Colorado Mining Company) on the shelf that was a raffle prize. It appears as new with shiny wheels, though there are felt pen marking on the Styrofoam pieces indicating what order to reinstall them, so it probably had some light use.

I would love to trade it for a Sierra or Phoenix sound system for a diesel, but will sell it for $200, including the shipping in the continental US.

Hmmmm, do we need to form a group?

Hi, my name is Steve. I got my first train when I was seven. Since then its been nothing but trains. Oh, sure, I could stop…for a while, but then the habit always came back, worse then before. It got so the first thing I think about in the morning is trains, and the last thing I think about before I pass out is trains. Its now effecting my job.

Apologies to Friends of Bill.

Since I could bear to wait for the AML SD-9’s, I had to purchase a Burlington Northern SD45 to tide me over.

Steve Featherkile said:

Hmmmm, do we need to form a group?

Hi, my name is Steve. I got my first train when I was seven. Since then its been nothing but trains. Oh, sure, I could stop…for a while, but then the habit always came back, worse then before. It got so the first thing I think about in the morning is trains, and the last thing I think about before I pass out is trains. Its now effecting my job.

Apologies to Friends of Bill.

Twelve step program for LS Train addicts just around the bend, nightly meetings in the chat room.

Spray onto afflicted areas, its helped me fight off the dreaded Pikocamelback itch

if I had $125 I’d have a Lyn on the way, swear!

Todd Haskins said:

So any of you guys ever get the urge to spend money that you shouldn’t on trains that you don’t really need?? LOL

Hello Todd. My name is David, and I just bought 2 more locomotives in an online auction. I am finding that I HAVE to stay away from those things. If an item is at a give away price, I just can’t help but put in a bid for it. At last count I had 30 locomotives, that has to be at least 5 locomotives ago.

Cale, oh yea, I have one of those too. I still don’t know why I bought the darn thing…

WE’RE DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

DO IT

I thought this was a support group but you guys are more like enablers when you post photos and videos of your cool trains.

Tonight while running I had the GP38 pulling passengers and the Heisler with a freight and the Sierra tender in tow. There was a few close calls with the faster GP running up on the Heisler which was fun. Listening to that Sierra makes any loco come to life with personality so now I want all my engines to have sound.

We do need a support group for too many trains and maybe a sound junkie meeting too?

We are doooomed !

Oh yes, I NEED more sound cards…I need them, I really need them.

It would be nice to have more.

Maybe I sell a loco or 5 to pay for them.

Naw, my toys are mine and whats mine is mine.

:wink:

David Maynard said:

Oh yes, I NEED more sound cards…I need them, I really need them.

It would be nice to have more.

Maybe I sell a loco or 5 to pay for them.

Naw, my toys are mine and whats mine is mine.

:wink:

Yep, it’s that time of year. All the squirrels are gathering nuts and anything else they can get their paws to.

Hello all .

My name is Mike and I am a trainaholic . I have been ill with trains for 77 years .

I blame my Mom ; when she was giving birth to me said “Oh what a strain” and I thought she said Train

I was born at an early age , and had two elder brothers who used to go train spotting . When Mom made them baby sit , they took me to the local railway sidings to train me in their train of thought which summed up was “Trains Trains Trains”.

Even getting machine gunned by a passing Luftwaffe Ju88 whilst train spotting near the local Spitfire Factory did not dampen our ardour . The '88 missed us , but we were too stupid to see that train spotting was dangerous .

Now I collect and run model trains . My bed is surrounded by large red/green boxes . My garden has little model bridges in from past efforts at railway building .

My conservatory is lined with model locos .

I am about to break down , so will leave the floor and let someone else grieve publicly .

Mike , well trained .

Hey, Mike, don’t let me interfere with your train of thought here, but it’s interesting to gauge the reaction when faced admitting to actually feeling a real need to have loco for personal reasons, or being railroaded into buying another locomotive - in my case, by my granddaughter.

She’s on the right track though, I rarely let a year go by without buying something serious for our little backyard roundy-round.

It will, inevitably, be a live-steamer of the smaller genre - possibly a De Winton. Living not too far from Leighton Buzzard [no, I didn’t make the name up, go look] means that we can pay visits to the fine NG ‘layout’ they have there, even ride behind it, and get a fix of the full-size loco - ‘Challoner’ as and when we care to do so. Regner make a quirky model that is not too dissimilar, so that might be a great way to end up 2014.

Best

tac

PS - Leighton buzzard is not that far from another town with an odd-sounding name - Tring. I’m told that it was the location of the very first bicycle bell factory, hence the sound they make. Or maybe the other way round.

You’re getting as daft as me , tac ,you must draw a line under your train of thought , there is no point in switching between trains , it will send you loco .

And by the bye , Leighton Buzzard is an easy hour’s drive from here , too

You mention Tring ( Quasimodo’s favourite holiday town ) , there is an airfield near it called Wing . I have trawled the UK looking for Fuselage , Tail , Propeller , Cockpit , but alas and alack , 'twas fruitless .

Mike

No more locos here - I have enough.

My parents lived adjacent to a Great Western railway station so I heard the sound of train whistles whilst in the womb I guess. A move by them just a short distance away found the same railway running at the bottom of my back yard, it was on a small embankment so a fantastic view, to a small boy, was had. The rest, as they say, is history.