Large Scale Central

I thought I was alone with this twist...

Last week, I noticed that a short section of tangent Aristo aluminum track had become a problem. Locomotives and other rolling stock were falling through a widened gauge.

At first, I thought that somehow the ties had malformed, allowing the gauge to widen. On closer inspection, I discovered that both rails were twisted out about 1/3 of the 6 ft rail, causing the gauge to become wide by 1/8 inch.

I mentioned this to Chuck Inlow two days ago. He said that he had heard similar complaints from others in the club.

The track is well supported by PT wood, but is in full sun all day, and has been in place for three years with temperatures ranging from -20°F to 105 °F. I took a photo, but the effect is too subtle for the photo to be of use.

Has anyone else noticed this?

That’s a bummer, Steve. Most of my aluminum track is inside in my “yard” so I haven’t had a big problem yet. I had high hopes for the aluminum track though, so that is most discouraging news.

Ed

Isn’t your yard shaded a little by trees Ed?

I wonder how long you have had that ally track Steve? I am sure others who have that type of track will comment on their experience and views.

As I said, Alan, its been in place to three years. I probably had it in reserve for two years before that. There were no noticable problems prior to last week.

Steve that is a shame. I mean, the aluminum track was supposed to be the next big thing, and then something like this happens. Can you take one rail and swap it end for end, so you can still run trains there?

I can give that a try, David, but not sure it will solve the problem. My biggest question is, why would the rails twist in the same place, and in opposite directions?

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Steve,

I assume this is code 332 alum rail. is this flex track or fixed dia. curve. could be that the alloy used to extrude the alum was not pure (china mfg.) and the effect of expansion and contraction did it in? I have used code 250 alum & tie strip from micro engineering since day one outside and have not seem this type of problem.

Al p.

Sorry, Steve, I missed the time scale. I can only think the distortion is because aluminium is a soft metal and warm temperatures have affected it. I believe the experiments with plastic rail also had similar issues.

Al, Aristo only imported code 332 flex track from China.

Alan Lott said:

Sorry, Steve, I missed the time scale. I can only think the distortion is because aluminium is a soft metal and warm temperatures have affected it. I believe the experiments with plastic rail also had similar issues.

Perhaps, but we are only getting the warm weather now, after the twist occurred. And, the last two Augusts were much warmer than even this short period of warm weather.

Steve I had the same problem. My rail was bent with a dual rail bender. My only guess is for me I didn’t do a complete bend and forced the rail. The sun and time worked it over and the rails warped to relieve the strain. I took the section out bent a new one and have not had any more problems.

Terry

This was a tangent with just a very slight vertical curve. It is odd.

Hey Steve, can you rule out something stepping in the middle of the track? Maybe a foot, hoof or otherwise planted there and spread it? I really had a dear hoof kink a section badly once. He snagged it while leaping down the hill.

Randy, the track is on a 2x8 at waist height. I don’t think anything stepped on it. Jumped over perhaps, but it was never knocked out of position. It is not screwed down.

What was your winter like? Many freeze / thaw / freeze cycles? I’m thinking the black ties would attract water that expands as it freezes and forces the rails out ward, resulting in the counter twists.

Did you get hit with the biggest hailstone ever?

The opposite bends kinda counters heat as a cause.

Please solve this as I’ve been thinking of an aluminum extension.

John

A slight vertical curve, maybe that is part of the answer. Some of the metal had to be stretched to make that curve, and with thermal expansion and contraction, it relived the stress from the vertical curve by twisting some. Why the rails both twisted outward, I do not know.

Maybe the rails were under pressure from a twist introduced during the extrusion process, and during the subsequent years - with the expansion and contraction - just slowly, but surely, relieved the strain, and over time they just opened to the point where your flanges are dropping into the gap. Just a thought …

Andrew Moore said:

Maybe the rails were under pressure from a twist introduced during the extrusion process, and during the subsequent years - with the expansion and contraction - just slowly, but surely, relieved the strain, and over time they just opened to the point where your flanges are dropping into the gap. Just a thought …

Most likely. I can’t think of anything else that is reasonable.

Anyone else experience this?

I believe Robby Dascotte has that problem with some of his rail outdoors. A friend of mine reported wide gauge problems at his last open house. I’m prety sure he is elevated track and Aristo aluminum.

My guess is reaction to the vertical curve and stresses from manufacture.

Aristo sectional track is held in place with screws to the bottom of the rail. The “flex track” that is the subject of this thread is not held as tightly. I have heard that the “fit” between the rail and the “spikes” is not hugely loose like the sectional track, but I also have heard that the tie strips are identical.

Not sure which is true, I don’t have any on hand, looking at the lack of control from the “spikes” in the sectional track, I never touched the flex.

Greg

Do you use Aristo tie strips? Fairplex in Pomona, Calif., had a lot of rail problems a few years after installation. Aristo “fixed” the problem but it did the same thing after a few more years. The tie strips were at fault.