Large Scale Central

I give up being down

I am a wood guy… I too think it looks great as is! I also worry that any over coating will not play well with weather and time.

Just had an Idea. Now thats a surprise … Has any one thought to use the stucco coat that’s the final “color” coat. Made for exterior, seems to hold up forever, easy applied, water proof… comes in 5gal buckets.

Might just work… First though, nail down some expanded metal mesh to hold it together and in place.

Eric Schade said:

Might just work… First though, nail down some expanded metal mesh to hold it together and in place.

1/4 inch welded (hog) wire?

Good luck with that plaster and mesh, I won’t be spending anything on this!

I wind winnow my ballast from coarse sandy gravel on site.

Hang on I have an idea!

John

Devon has accused us of being a butt modeler, but I have to tell you there was a lot of standing at the band saw beveling the stakes.

My thanks to Dave Taylor for including a thin wall tube in the Mystery box prize I won from him a couple years back. Also more thanks for some practice tin in the same box, came in handy …

Wanna see? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

OK

Once satisfied with the fit … I lined the pipe with famous Taylor Tins!

I flared the tin slightly hiding the tube so people will be amazed and wonder how the heck I kept all the wooden stakes in line!?!

For the butt end, I formed the tin over a pipe length-wise so the ribs are across the flow… because. OK, was a quick finish.

Keeping it natural.

John

John, you model butts? Well, I guess everyone needs a hobby. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

David, right on cue!

5 punch lines deleted …

Carry on.

John, (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Maybe I should add “Butt Modeler” to my tagline. It sounds rather exotic.

you might as well, seeing as how you won’t let it die… then we can discuss it in your thread…

LOL.

I love the culvert. I just caught up with this thread and I too like the wood just the way it is. very unique. I am glad your not on your butt. You and Maynard get a pass.

Well, all of Terra Cellulosa has been secured …

Next up are wood abutments and bridges and trestles … I did sand the culvert, I didn’t like my sloppy glue up, but I knew I would sand.

There will be wing walls for the culvert and I’ll back fill with saw dust.

I wonder if All Y’all will love it when it’s grey?

Happy Rails,

John

I think I will love it more when its grey. It actually is very handsome and as I said previously unique. Unique is good in my book.

I dunno. The wood has that sandstone look to it. Once it grays out I…I just dunno

Once it turns grey it will be limestone or shale

We’ll make a movie; A gazillion shades of grey!

100+ in the shade, yesterday an hour and a half at mid day = 1 quart of Gatorade, today manning the sawzall was 70 minutes = 1.5 qt gator juices…

I’m doing the transition for the deep canyon stretch and also including an old RR habit; burying a trestle to make a fill.

Today was cutting the blocks, Saturday I’ll cut the valley in and mark abutment locations. The far end gets shaped to match the beginning of the wooden narrows .

Yesterday evening I saw a new young rattler, rather pretty a white body with dark diamonds lining it’s back. Rarely will I try to go back for a pic, yep camera left on my desk.

What you see in the background is the old mountain, the new will be up front. I have too many rocks, they get moved when I know to where, no more reshuffling them about.

John

To many rocks! Lucky you… I have to go out to the nether lands and collect them from the outcroppings, if I want anything other then round river rocks. Around here it’s mostly sandstone. Or you find a patch of petrified wood. I keep looking for a piece of dinosaur, but I haven’t found any yet. They do pull dinosaurs out of the badlands just 10 miles south of here. BTW 96 deg yesterday at the other end of the state.

Yep too many rocks ; those in my head plus all the Hauled in color. My 4x4 has desert pin stripping, from leaning into vegetation as I clung to thin strips of roads painted on hillsides, but hey, that’s where the best color hides …(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The last 2 days we had ‘June is the new Monsoon month’, in action. That 12’ plank got heavy! I laid out a bare plank and with 2 sections of plastic pipe I rolled the narrows 15’ into position.

The transition will be a trestle being buried for a fill… with a culvert in the middle.

Hard to see above, but it’s an S curve trestle, The planks will be tapered down for the trestle to show as a fill in progress. Under the cars is the transition to the narrows …

The engine house in front is scheduled for it’s 4th roof and it gets moved to the spur with the freight house…

From here the track to the right comes forward 2/3 of a quarter turn before following the hillside out to a reverse loop. I think…

Aha! Tricked you into looking again!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

Fourth roof?! Maybe you need to hire better roofers. Or use more weather resistant materials.