Large Scale Central

šŸŽ» How the golden age of rail travel transformed American music forever

This most unlikely site has grabbed my attention for over an hour. Between 1865 and 1900, some 4,000 opera houses were built across America and singers and orchestras caught the touring bug.

A bit of adviceā€¦ scroll through this webpage because this webpage has something for everyone.

• music
  • snow plows in action
  • tenders being refilled from water troughs at speed
  • stories about opera singers shooting guns out of passenger cars
  • railgangs
  • diamond crossings, tunnels and bridges
  • diesel train travel
  • even Amtrak

One piece of Railroadiana that we donā€™t have is a photo of is the personal coach of Besse Smith. Two stories, sleeps 4 (?8? 12?). It was pretty useful in segregated southern towns.
That article mentions other ladies who preferred a private RR car.

That the one Pete? I had seen that car pic years ago. Looks like it was self contained so a railcar instead of coach. :sunglasses:

1 Like

David, That is a Pickwick bus converted to rail. No ties to Besse Smith.

My misunderstanding on it being hers Dan, knew it was a Pickwick bus converted

Folks;

Regarding music and railroading, I remember reading that The Wreck of Old 97 sold more sheet music than any other song ever written. Later the New Kingston Trio used the same tune for The Man Who Never Returned.

Regards, David Meashey

1 Like

All I know is I never heard of her before (honestly this time)!
WOW ā€¦Iā€™m surprised I have not, considering my love for ā€œmusicā€ in general. Wikipedia is a hell of read in itself but have looked up more in the last 24hrsā€¦WOWā€¦
:rooster:

Thatā€™s a 1930sā€™ overnight bus coach that ended up a Mexican railbus

QUOTEā€¦(from the internet)

Trouble, trouble, Iā€™ve had it all my days,
Trouble, trouble, Iā€™ve had it all my days.
In his book ā€œJazz Singing: Americaā€™s Greatest Voices from Bessie Smith to Bebop and
Beyond,ā€ author Will Friedwald deconstructs Smith signature style:
Smith sings with a quality of harshness and at the same time with great passion but never
with irony or sarcasm. With Smith, the two seemingly incongruous attitudes are
compatible, a sort of tender invective. Smith sings about love without a trace of
sentiment, and of sex without guilt. She has an amazingly realistic attitude toward life
and love, and even in moments of heightened, not to say suicidal, despondency has a
sober, realistic view of life, devoid of self pity.
There is a fullness and robustness to Smithā€™s singing, even in the most downtrodden of lyrics, a
quality that one later sees replicated in the work of Billie Holiday and Etta James.
Musician and music critic John Hammond once said of Smith, ā€œTo my way of thinking, Bessie
Smith was the greatest artist American jazz every produced; in fact, Iā€™m not sure that her art did
not reach beyond the limits of ā€˜jazz.ā€™ She was one of those rare beings, a completely integrated
artist capable of projecting her whole personality into her music.ā€
Bessie Smith was a big girl who became a big woman; she stood five feet, nine inches tall and
weighed over 200 pounds. She was known to be rough and forceful and a little bit crude.
Legends abound: that she once beat her husbandā€™s mistress unconscious on the streets of Harlem,
that she once ordered a group of Klansmen picketing her concert to pack up and leave (and they
did). Smith had voracious appetitesā€”for music, alcohol and sex. In regard to the latter,
throughout her life, she often openly carried on various tumultuous, far from discrete affairs with members of both sexes.

Smith also had a taste for luxury and high-living. At the height of her
popularity, ā€œshe traveled the nation in her own custom-build railway carā€.

End of QUOTE ā€¦from the internet

This is all Bill and Peters fault!!

Honestly I bet there might be something on her custom pullman palace car out there on the internet but then again maybe not. However I bet there is something out there if you search for it internet or not.

1 Like

Just channeling our inner rooster.

Thereā€™s probably an AI podcast tooā€¦
especially now they know that this is a topic of special interest for Rooster.
if you know what I mean, and I think you doā€¦
:kissing_heart::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sounds a lot like Madeline Khanā€™s character in Blazing Saddles, Lili Von ShtĆ¼pp

Every time it comes up I do a search or two, but nada so far.

Well, I honestly do not have an answer myself only guesses at this point. I have found reference to a 72ā€™ or 78ā€™ car that was yellow with green lettering and judging by the era Iā€™m assuming itā€™s probably a rebuilt pullman. However it could be an EX Chicago Northwestern car (quote)ā€¦"Customization options were seemingly limitless. ā€œThe Chicago and Northwestern railwayā€”another company that produce private carsā€”engineered a special frame that created a sunken lounge area and a 15-foot-high ceiling,ā€ says Lettenberger. "

I do not think it was an honest two stories as some refer but only a duplex. It could not be too tall as it will not clear the tunnels on the east ( this is why Amtrak had the Viewliners built to this day). I also know that she purchased the car at suggestion of her brother Clarence in 1925 at the peak of her career but had to sell it in 1929 due to the depression and economy downturn.

I can say though that I have learned one hell of a biography with Bessie Smith and Iā€™m not done learning! I never heard of the Green Book The Green Book - NYPL Digital Collections until this 7am today which sent me on a tyrant until past noon completely wasting a beautiful Saturday morning.

I RE PETE (pun intended) this is all Billā€™s fault !

I found this for a possible answer to the Bessie Smith rail car
https://www.bessiesmithcc.org/education

I also know she was in Chicago with her private rail car in 1927

The Chicago whip. (Chicago, Ill.) 1919-19??, November 19, 1927, SECOND SECTION, Page TEN, Image 10 Ā« Chronicling America Ā« Library of Congress