Large Scale Central

Holiday Prep...and the Coming End of a Motive Power Era

Aloha All! I trust everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We did, and Kid-zilla and I used the opportunity to prep the Triple O’s Christmas Special. This involves getting out the sundry lubricants to address squeaking journals discovered during a rigorous round of 0-5-0 testing.

Meanwhile, I brought down the B’mann 4-6-0 locomotive, North Star, to ready “her” for testing. North Star, you may remember, has been our running roundhouse queen over the years, introducing us to the joys of B’mann engineering and quality control over the years (most recently Bachmann 4-6-0 Periodically Stops and Whines ). Because her lower hull had cracked at some point, we relegated the poor thing to ceremonial service. I knew that would need bracing (again), but I was shocked to see that the thender draw bar’s mount had decided to crack!

Did I miss that the last time we had her down on the rails, which was months ago, or did another year of aging cause the plastic to give way?

Not to be deterred, Kid-zilla (following my suggested field repair) cut up some bracing for the crack in her lower hull, mixed some two-part epoxy, and applied new shims to the lower hull.

While we waited for the epoxy to set, Kid-zilla measured the gap where the draw bar fits, cut a brace from a scrap craftstick, and remounted the draw bar.

You can see both patches / repairs in the righthand picture. The brace for the hull is particularly ugly.
I have considered getting a metal repair bracket I saw at the hardware store, but I am not sure I can remove the lower hull to bolt one on without further damaging the brittle plastic on this old girl. Many of the screws are stripped (my fault) from the many repairs (quality control), and many of the plastic tabs that hold the old girl together have snapped, either while repairing her or under the stress of operations. I just don’t think she’d survive major another surgery. I am, however, open to suggestion on how to externally brace her if these repairs fail.

All that being said, North Star has served well beyond her intended purpose as a once-a-year Christmas train intended to loop around a tree for a couple hours before returning to the box. She has been a laboratory for skill development, carried Christmas memories, sized tunnel portals, drawn train robbers, and earned a spot in the final issue of Garden Railways. She will pull the first train of the Advent / Christmas season as she has for a decade. We’ll run her until she’ll run no more this season, then give her a graceful retirement.

Eric

3 Likes

Eric;

Good luck with your Bachmann locomotive. They do tend to wear after some time.

This year I have decided to go back to a Hershey theme (minus the buildings). The Aristo Lil’ Critter still has a lot of life left.

Best, David Meashey

1 Like

Or a new chassis? They do pop up for peanuts sometimes.

I have two older chassis, neither of which fit. The other issue are tabs that hold the boiler in place, as they are gone or giving out. On the other hand, it cannot get much more broken, so maybe there is a light 'bash here. It would involve removing the old gear box, as it has an upgraded aftermarket drive gear, installing it in one of my reserve chassis, then figuring out a way to marry the boiler, firebox, cab etc. to the new chassis. Hmmmm…we’ll see how she pulls in the coming weeks and go from there.

Thanks!

Eric

Sounds like a project for the crew the bash their first locomotive! You’ve got “boiler” experience with the submarine project. :laughing:

I used to love watching this when I was kitbashing and hanging around with my LSC buds!
Apple always reminded me of the “bash” that I started however it goes deeper… pumpkin was usually reserved for the wiring stage …ahhh never mind

However if all else fails there is always Santa however he needs to rummage around in his work shop for stuff that he …ahhhh never mind

Ok…So perhaps we can think about MIK 2024 “while prepping for the holiday” ?

That 4-6-0 is 'screaming 0-6-0

Thought about it years ago but you have the perfect candidate and I’m sure I have what you need to make it happen. However if you would like to just replace the 4-6-0 with the same I can do that as well “only if THE BOY wants it” !

Maybe put a section of track in the main area and place it there as a gate guard/ kid magnet/ photo op for the 1/24 ish people

Wow. That old 1901 loco has a lap-seam riveted boiler, by the looks of it. I thought they banned them years ago!

I concur that the 4-6-0 might make a good 0-6-0 or even a 2-6-0. :thinking: :grin:

Whoa…The OR&L had four 0-6-0, and we have a surviving prototype in Ewa.

I had actually been scanning for a used PIKO version of this, to no avail. Starting from parts on hand never crossed my mind…

I talked to Kid-zilla. He protested vociferously against putting the saw to North Star. This does not preclude an attempt to fit one of my existing chassis or chassis components to North Star then using the rest for an 0-6-0 with a PVC boiler. We have a cab courtesy @VicSmith from an aborted project ( 2021 Toy-to-Model Conversion – Idea Generation & Sanity Che ).

Let me inventory my bits to see what we have on hand…

Eric

Test for quote disappearing and spelling correction along with post count.

Just saying

Kid-zilla is convinced we can make a tender. I told him this was going to get a proper paint job, too, to look like the 0-6-0 at the Ewa Historical Railroad, an he agreed after some arguing. He is not convinced about cutting this down to an 0-6-0, but the OR&L had 4-6-0, too…

…and going that route would necessitate another run to the museum (darn). If you really have no use for this, I think we can press it into service over 2024.

In the meantime, Kid-zilla and I got North Star out on the rails today as a treat to ourselves after hanging Christmas lights. Our external bracing held. She’ll do fine pulling seasonal specials.

Video: Testing External Bracing on the Lower Part of North Star’s Chassis

Eric

The Aristocraft 0-4-0 has a slope back tender and they are often available cheep, cheep on eBay. I have a selection of used tenders, but not a slope-back.
If you want a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 tender to cut down I can help.

Pete,

Thanks. Let me use this as an excuse to visit Ewa first :wink:! I’ve never undertaken a project like this, and I anticipate this will be a spring / summer long project as we tweak the cab and other details then prime and repaint the lot.

Incidentally, when I asked Kid-zilla yesterday if he liked rockets or trains better, he came down lightly on the side of rockets. He did note, however, “We don’t like buying ready-to-fly rockets, so how come we buy ready-to-run trains?” Out of the mouths of babes…

Eric