Large Scale Central

Help With Layout Please

First I am a complete Newby. I bought my first G scale LGB set this December and now I am bit. So I ordered a 4-4-0 American locomotive from HLW. I just got it yesterday. I plan on putting in a wireless receiver and run in on batteries. I have an area that is 20’ by 50’ where I can build an outdoor railroad. My loco is a D&RGW and I have been reading about the D&RG narrow gauge. I would love to build a point to point railroad to bring in coal, timber and other supplies/materials from point A and drop them off at appropriate warehouses or other receiving buildings at point B. I would also like to be able to expand later into point C that will be my Christmas Village for running the train at Christmas time down that line. I am thinking on elevating the area some 3 ft with pavers and filling in with dirt. I like this concept better than just laying in on the ground (no offense meant for those of you how do). I think it will be a better visual display. While train operations will be important I would like to entertain party guests with just the train “chasing it’s caboose” some times.

I have seen some excellent layout suggestions here. So I am asking for suggestions for my rr.

Thanks in advance for those who take the time to help a lost newby.

Gil V.

Since you have an operating scheme in mind, I’ll just offer a track planning solution that I found easy to work with. It’s a software program with a drop and drag library…it’s also fun to just use your imagination with it and see what combination’s you can come up with. It’s mostly sectional track but there are flex track sections in the library that can be used…

http://www.rrtrack.com/

I didn’t like the way RR Track handled flex track at all. But, I DID use it for my track diagram. My RR is all flex track…

You might want to take a look at one that wasn’t available when I was playing: http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html One nice thing is that it has a demo you can download and play with. It is limited to 50 sections of track in the demo. I toyed with it briefly and I really liked the way it handled flex track. But, I don’t know how well it works to design a layout.

I also toyed with http://www.trackplanning.com/ but found I didn’t really need all the functionality. Want to buy a copy cheap? :wink:

XTrkCAD is a CAD program for designing model railroad layouts. Available for FREE at http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage - I haven’t tried this, but I sure do like the price.

Unless you REALLY need an accurate track diagram, sketching works out pretty well. The nice thing about the computer programs is that they give you a list of parts you need. However, that didn’t help me at all, since I was using flex track. Not only that, but my initial design did not survive contact with the garden. I like to think that I might have some useful tips in my log: http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=6204 :wink:

You can find out more about the ladder method here: http://www.btcomm.com/trains/primer/roadbed/ladder1.htm I found it a great way to make nice curves and elevate sections of my layout.

Hi Gil - Welcome to MLS. You have already made three major decisions that most new folks wrestle with.

The choice of battery operation is a good one. You will find many on here who are huge supporters of battery power. I built my layout for track power, but now run mostly battery or live steam. By starting out using batteries you will avoid all of the wiring and conductivity issues and since you only have two locos, getting the equipment will not break the bank.

Elevating your layout in some fashion is also very popular here. It sure is a lot more fun to work at waist level than on your knees. I have a little of both on my outdoor line. About 1/3 is built on a raised patio and retaining wall. As I go upgrade I end up on the ground. Future expansion may include some elevated railroad on benchwork in my back yard.

And finally, your choice of an operating point-to-point railroad will find many supporters here too. And even the most die-hard operators incorporate a loop for continuous running, if only for loco break in :smiley:

Bottom line is that you’ve come to the right place. This group is heavily grounded in those three basic tenants of an outdoor railroad. We keep a few of the track powered Roundy-Round guys here for color commentary too!

As far as planning goes, we can’t plan your railroad without a lot of facts. In fact, we probably can’t plan your railroad at all, you need to do that. But we can help answer any specif questions you have.

One piece of advice I got long ago and I pass on whenever I can is Just Do It. Get the radio control installed in your American as soon as you can and take that loop of track from the starter set outside and set it up on the grass. Put the loco on the tracks and let it just run around the circle while you look out over your property. The ideas will flow faster than you can keep up.

Once you get a track plan somewhat determined, then you will have to think about all the possiblities of laying the track…

If you build up an area, then it will settle a bit over time, and the higher you build it up, them more it will settle… One way to avoid the track settling, would be to use a ““ladder”” type roadbed raised up on posts, to your railheight… The dirt/fill around it would settle, but hopefully, the track would stay at the same height… The settling could take a few years, unless you use a compactor and compact the fill/dirt as you go, probably compacting every 3-4-5 inches of fill…

There are numerous articles under this forum dealing with roadbed…

I know we will all be willing to answer questions, and are looking forward to your progress…

And, Welcome to G-scale railroading… :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
Hi Gil - Welcome to MLS.
:O :O :O Traitor!

-Brian :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Gil!

Welcome aboard! Raising the layout area is definitely a smart move. Not only for operation and maintenance easier but it also makes photography easier too.

Wow. And you’re already a convert to the dark side :smiley:

Delighted to meet you.

Andy Clarke said:
Once you get a track plan somewhat determined, then you will have to think about all the possiblities of laying the track....

If you build up an area, then it will settle a bit over time, and the higher you build it up, them more it will settle… One way to avoid the track settling, would be to use a ““ladder”” type roadbed raised up on posts, to your railheight… The dirt/fill around it would settle, but hopefully, the track would stay at the same height… The settling could take a few years, unless you use a compactor and compact the fill/dirt as you go, probably compacting every 3-4-5 inches of fill…

I know we will all be willing to answer questions, and are looking forward to your progress…

Welcome Gil

This hurts, but I have to agree with Andy. :wink: The ladder type roadbed would be the best thing to do. This is 20/20 vision talking. Had I asked a few more questions before just jumping in I would have done the ladder system on my lay out.

I plan on putting in a wireless receiver and run in on batteries. I have an area that is 20’ by 50’ where I can build an outdoor railroad. I have seen some excellent layout suggestions here. So I am asking for suggestions for my rr. Thanks in advance for those who take the time to help a lost newby. Take a look at QSI/g-wire QSI for sound decoder, and g-wire which is the airwire system with t9000 throttle. You won’t be disappointed. Take a look at my videos on you tube to see it running in my mallet, and two dash 9’s. Link to you tube videos through http://blueregal.angelfire.com/ then click on active blue links to you tube and vimmeo. The Regal

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/blueregal/_forumfiles/oldmanme.jpg.gif)

Geoff George said:
Andy Clarke said:
Once you get a track plan somewhat determined, then you will have to think about all the possiblities of laying the track....

Welcome Gil

This hurts, but I have to agree with Andy. :wink: The ladder type roadbed would be the best thing to do. This is 20/20 vision talking. Had I asked a few more questions before just jumping in I would have done the ladder system on my lay out.

Ok I have lurked enough and I think I understand and appreciate the track ladder concept.

I have two problems with it

1. I just went through my wood working phase and sold all my equipment to include a nice table saw.
  2. I am not that handy at keeping things square and straight

So here is my first question
In the December Garden RR mag there is a ad fro a plastic version of a track bed that seems to work similar to a track ladder. It seems to work by staking a 3/4" PVC into the ground then screwing the plastic track bed to it. has anyone used this? I am not home or I could provide a web site so maybe I’ll post later when I get home. Either way your comments will not go unnoticed. I still retain a radial saw and if I must then I will build and use a track ladder system.

Second question
I seem to be inclined to use the RCS radio control system made in (dare I say it) Australia. I have selected and ordered the Phoenix P5 sound system and the RCS seems to be more compatible than the AirWire900. Anyone has any experience with the RCS wireless system? Non of the two US “distributors” are answering my emails to purchase a system. Maybe that tells me I should stay away?

Comment:
Thanks for nice comments and welcome comments. BTW what is MLS???

Once again thanks for all your helpful comments.

Gil V.

Gil V said:
Second question I seem to be inclined to use the RCS radio control system made in (dare I say it) Australia. I have selected and ordered the Phoenix P5 sound system and the RCS seems to be more compatible than the AirWire900. Anyone has any experience with the RCS wireless system? Non of the two US "distributors" are answering my emails to purchase a system. Maybe that tells me I should stay away?

Gil V.

Smart Move! RCS has been Great for the Kids and I…as to email, a quick call to Kirkland WA always seems to get an answer!

Call Dave Goodson (TOC), he is avail most all/every day unless the wife has him out

425-823-3507

will all that said, I’ve never had a problem in getting in touch with either of the dealers…and Tony is very accessible too, even in AU!

again a call should remedy your issue and get you some concrete answers!

As to the product, It has performed flawlessly from day one, and I continue to purchase w/ each additional engine we acquire!

good luck! Welcome to LSC!

cale

MLS is Mylargescale.com , another large scale exclusive site, its as good a place as here (tho some here have had shall we say…disagreements, with the managment?) but I think its as fine a site as this one is, but I do avoid LSOL or Large Scale On Line as they charge you a fee just for the prevelidge of even reading their sacred texts…err forums.

BTW I was a registered user on LSOL back when you could sign up for free to read the forums, couldnt post but could at least lurk, then they went to the Scientology method of payment for access to the sacred tests, and that just irked me so I’ll stay away.

Gil, I had to go and find the link, but here is a little ditty on how I laid my track…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=6875

Gil V said:
Second question I seem to be inclined to use the RCS radio control system made in (dare I say it) Australia. I have selected and ordered the Phoenix P5 sound system and the RCS seems to be more compatible than the AirWire900. Anyone has any experience with the RCS wireless system? Non of the two US "distributors" are answering my emails to purchase a system. Maybe that tells me I should stay away?

Gil V.

All I can tell you is I don’t have any e-mails from “Gil V.” in my inbox.
Not that I can find.
And, I check my SPAM filters hourly.

When did you send it?

I just did a full search of my files (electronically) and nothing.

Hi Gil, welcome aboard. You have the Mid-Watch.

Bart has the coffee brewing down in the Goat Locker. Go on down and find a rack and get a cuppa before you go on watch. :lol:

I agree with your assessment that the ladder method is too fussy. Some of the folks here swear by it, I just swear at it. I use pressure treated 2 X 6 material for the elevated road bed on my layout. Just make sure that the pieces you select do not contain any heart wood (the central ring) and that you install each piece with the crown up so the water will run off easily. Take a look at Bart’s or Fr. Fred’s layouts for how they went about using the PT wood.

You are smart to decide early on battery power. Both locations provide good service. Tony, who developed the RCS system is a member here, and posts here often. We have lively debates, no holds barred, on a lot of different topics, but you will find no one finer. TOC does all of my Lionel repair, and is an excellent resource for all things that have to do with model railroading. You may find him a bit ummmmmm opinionated, but then all the really good ones are. Perhaps you had the wrong email addy?

Anyway, welcome aboard. Pull up a chair around the cracker barrel and join in.

Brian Donovan said:
Jon Radder said:
Hi Gil - Welcome to MLS.
:O :O :O Traitor!

-Brian :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Gil!

Holy Brain Farts Batman !!! I need some coffee, or maybe sheep dip is in order.

Victor Smith said:
MLS is Mylargescale.com , another large scale exclusive site, its as good a place as here (tho some here have had shall we say...disagreements, with the managment?) but I think its as fine a site as this one is, but I do avoid LSOL or Large Scale On Line as they charge you a fee just for the prevelidge of even reading their sacred texts...err forums.

BTW I was a registered user on LSOL back when you could sign up for free to read the forums, couldnt post but could at least lurk, then they went to the Scientology method of payment for access to the sacred tests, and that just irked me so I’ll stay away.

Well, I’ll take paying $30/year for LSOL over the underhanded, hypocritical BS of Mr. Peennis, anyday!

-Brian

(http://www.theodoresworld.net/pcfreezone/huhImage2.jpg)

(http://www.burtonreport.com/images/MongoBut200JPG.jpg)

Mongo Confused???

Once again thanks for all the posts and emails with information I am receiving. No layouts yet but I am sure some will come. For the gentleman who suggested the computer design programs , these still assume I have some sort of understanding on how track is laid out. So how to I divert the train down all those different tracks that look like arteries? Do I use a right/left switch? or to I use a #6 Switch? It looks like I have to use a right #6 switch followed buy a series of left #6 switches??? It’s all soo confusing.

On the track ladder issue. The link to the road bead system I am considering is at

www.gardenrailwayproducts.com/roadbed.html

Anyone have any experience with this system?

By the way Dave did call me and now I am anticipating my RCS system to arrive early next week.

Gil V.