Large Scale Central

Hecla Mine, Burke Idaho

Thanks for the download Cliff,

Do you print in resin or FDM? ( I will have to build an enclosure if I’m going to graduate from PLA & PETG plastics).

And what seems to be surviving outside?

I’m a bit of a novice only using tinkercad. Fusion 360 is escaping me so far on a Mac.

Bill

Bill, you bet.

Mine have been outside for at least 3 years in all the Maryland elements. They were PLA-printed, and Krylon-painted. I don’t think they’ll last must longer, but who knows. Here’s a shot taken just after installation.

Their replacements will be either ASA filament or some sort of UV-resistant-miracle-resin. Either of which heavily primed & painted.

Good luck, and post more pics!

Cliff

Hi Devon, I’m glad to see you around again!

My sister sent me a gift idea (for me) and it immediately made me think of you and your wilderness adventures.

:grin:

PS, there’s also a similar help guide for those more south.

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Canyon-National-Park-Cautionary/dp/1591521890

EXCELLENT stick work/framing Bill!

1 Like

No detail pics on my end but I did get to run my CVRR equipment on Cliffy’s RR and the mine is killer even if it’s weather vane is offensive by today’s standards!
:laughing:

1 Like

Wow Cliff,

What an amazing scene! Tailings, miners, pack horses…. It tells a story.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your recording. I see you took a lot of “writers” on the trip too. …and they say we spend too much time texting and not enjoying the ride. Ha!

Incidentally, is there a story for the plexiglass encased bridgework?

Bill,
I have sure tried a lot and not much has taken hold. I am able to use Tinkercad and OpenSCAD on my Mac.

I tried Fusion 360 a LOT, but the dang lines kept jumping around…funny, they NEVER did that when I used a pencil. :innocent:

1 Like

Yeah Bruce,

There is nothing intuitive for me with Fusion 360. Ironically Tinkercad is owned by the same company.

Just me being anal about preserving my first trestle. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cliff said: “Trestle” and has been reported the moderator

1 Like

That’s funny Cliff. Since all of my back country ventures are solo, my wife and I have discussed the many various ways I could end up bear food.

And you know what bear food turns into …

1 Like

lol a greasy mess on your boot?

Okay I think it is time to get this going. I have decided on using PVC lumber. After using it for a couple of foundations and after carving it into stone I am really liking it. Its worked with all the tools I already own. If even runs nice through my drum sander. It glues up into panels quite nicely using PVC cement. I think I can pretty easily make trim and clapboards and such with the same materiel. I just think this is going to make the most weather proof and durable building.

I lost 23 minutes today re-reading the thread. I’m enjoying your journey to get this project to fruition and the research you put into the process. It’s pretty cool that this is local history for you too.

Hecla of today seems to be a big corporation like BHP. Is the site preserved or are one of these modern pictures associated with Hecla correct?

Well I don’t know how to answer. Yes the company Hecla is still alive and well. No neither of those are the site I am modeling. The site I am modeling is standing but is basically abandon. And even then it looks nothing like the time period I am modeling. What I am modeling burnt to the ground and was rebuilt as a concrete abomination in my humble opinion.

Get on Google earth and fly to Burke Idaho. When you zoom in the massive thing still in Burke is the Hecla Mine. Now it actually has another official name when it comes to the claim but I dont know what it is

1 Like

Should we see who finishes their signature structure first? I know I have a headstart and all but I doubt that will work in my favor…

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet on either one of us quite frankly

I didn’t set a timeframe… I would like to be done with mine by the end of 2024. Oh wait I said that last year in 2023. Oops. Guess we both need Cliff’s management strategies to get big projects done.

1 Like