Large Scale Central

Hecla Mine, Burke Idaho

lol Hey I can at least Devon the heck out of it.

I have already given myself the reason I need. If nothing else it would make an interesting load for my STMA train on a flat car headed to some museum somewhere.

One thing I have enjoyed the most about 3D printing, which is how I would model this, is that I find I finish a lot more or at least progress a lot faster than I do when left to scratch building. I enjoy and derive more satisfaction from scratch building, but I donā€™t have the time or energy to devote to modeling all I want to accomplish when scratch building. But I can make the design and then walk away while the printers are printing.

The only bad thing is that sometimes you walk away only to return to a stringy mess! :innocent:

1 Like

I can honestly say I have never ever had that problem. . . might have something to do with the fact that up until last week I didnā€™t own a FDM printer. And I still havenā€™t printed anything on the new one. But I have walked away and come back with a big blob of semi cured resin in the bottom of my resin printers.

Back on topic though. . .I ran out of resin printing what will end up being a give away. The vertical steam engine and the swing saw and associated hardware are way way way to big. I was really hoping I could convince myself it was alright but it would look much better in a 7/8ths build. I scaled the parts down 25%. But I until my resin arrives I will have to wait to test print it for size. I have a feeling that might even be too large. and might make a nice 1:20.3 model. But all my buildings are 1:24 and I think it may still yet be too large. We will see.

to the 7/8ths guys on here keep your eyes peeled I might be selling a vertical steam pump and swing saw model extremely cheap.

I feel like a jack Russell terrior stuck in a pinball machine

A sure sign of ā€œDevoningā€ :innocent:

If only I had 1000 printers to keep up with my sleepless nights. . . E
When technology keeps up with my waterless nights. . .hang on to your hat

Sounds like you just need more money! (NOTHING to do with technology). :innocent:

Bob,

I note you mention Cliff has printed an ore chute which caught my eye. Iā€™d love to see what others have created. Iā€™m new here, so I just posted a link for my attempt to make NBWs for my sand and water facility on that thread.

What is the general protocol for sharing STLs on LCS? Do we post a link to Thingiverse, Printables, CAD SHARE or do we have a Curator of Things at LCS?

Bill

No real protocol for sharing files. Dan Gilchrist (and others) have their stuff up on Printables or Thingiverse. There are also some people that sell files up on Cults3D.

1 Like

Theoretically, we can drag and drop files into a post.

CPL Dwarf.stl (293.0 KB)

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the Reference forum

2 Likes

Painting with a broom has always been accepted to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like

Hi Bill and welcome. I can not offer to share the file but should you be able to acquire it from Cliff I can tell you it is a very very nice design. I will be using it on this build most likely or at least a modified version of it. Thatā€™s if I actually ever get around to building this thing.

Thanks Devon,

Being new to the site, I searched Cliff and found 3 first names with Cliff. Which Cliff should I approach?

that would be Cliff Jennings
Mick

2 Likes

Paging @Cliff_Jennings to the white curtesy phoneā€¦

2 Likes

So far, Iā€™m happy with my first attempt.

Itā€™s quite rough as guts, and works and It looks good from 10 feet.

But it was my first resin attempt with Pinky Sil, aluminum foil, and an embossed wheel.

Iā€™ve always been worried how much the resin will slump when I finally get it outside.

3 Likes

Wow, your chutes are better than mine Bill! And thatā€™s one mighty fine bin for sure.

But hereā€™s my chute file in case you can use it. There are some brass rod and chain bits involved; and you might not want to do the counterweight.

Cjennings H&N Ore Chute.STL (2.1 MB)

Great work, keep going!
Cliff

1 Like