Large Scale Central

Hecla Mine, Burke Idaho

As cheap as they are, why not have two. That was my solution.

1 Like

I just saw an ad for this company in this month’s NGSL. They have a bunch of detail parts in F scale, as well as HO

Pretty sure that is Bill’s old “Western Scale Models” company that he sold a few years back. Good to see they still have the product line going.

Very Nice. There is a lot there that I had considered designing. But as a one off for a mill It would be a lot of work when I can already by a nice scale model. Will give this some serious consideration.

Agreeing with Rick. WSM had amazing stuff, and I’m glad to see that a lot of it is continuing to be sold with the (IIRC) new ownership.

So I printed the vertical steam engine for the timber forming shed.

It did misprint the connecting rod. You will see it’s warped. I am gonna go ahead and use it. But I have reorientated it and am reprinting another. I am making a second one to give to the club as a raffle prize along with the swing saw. I want the prints right Incase I want another in the future. But for this project I am not throwing this one out.

2 Likes

When I get my new filament printer up and running I am going to print the trusses for the timber shed.

The swing saw and pulley system are printing on the resin printer now. Hopefully. . . Maybe by the end of the weekend I will have the parts to start making the timber forming shed.

If that is what you said is bent , I say it is offset , the original bottom
Set was different make and model and when it broke a few years ago the new model didn’t sit in the frame at the same alignment , requiring the rod to be “adjusted” that’s the shop’s story and they are sticking to it!! B

2 Likes

I like it that’s my story

Well done on the vertical engine, Devon. Pete’s backstory is certainly believable and probably not that unheard of for the time period. Gives the engine some age and character.

I am pretty good at making stuff up ! Always have been a story teller!

1 Like

Well I decided upon further inspection both the steam engine and the swing saw are to large in scale. They are closed to what would be right in 7/8ths for what I am after. Maybe 1:20.3. But my buildings and people are more in the neighborhood of 1:24 to 1:29.

So I reduced all of the parts by 25 percent and am reprinting. Hopefully will take care of the printing errors and give me a more respectable size.

I am reprinting the saw and the crankshaft piece with new positioning in hopes of having one complete set that I will donate or give to someone doing 7/8ths. And then I will do the entire set in the reduced size for myself. I have the print file set up so that it will print two complete sets in one print.

When I saw it I instantly thought of this…Carrick Furnace - Wikipedia

I agree I love Pete’s backstory!

1 Like

Thats very cool that would be a fun design to replicate.

How is that working exactly. Its an interesting configuration. The piston is down low and driving the arm in the middle. That was driving what looks like two con rods, one on each side which appear to be missing. Those in turn were driving the two wheels one on each side.

What is escaping me is the big thing on top. Am I assuming correctly that is the steam boiler that is providing the steam for the piston below? If so are the piping hot air/gas from the rock furnace next to it. I am taking wild stab that they are using the supper heated smoke from the furnace piped in to heat the water?

Ah,

Interesting. So had it all wrong. That thing on top is a blower. There are some missing pieces to the puzzle. But that thing is what is being driven. It is a blower which I assume is providing air to fan the fire in the furnace.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US354279

Oh and when you finish reading this there is a printable furnace coloring page link at the bottom…https://www.explorefranklincountypa.com/ealy-iron-works/

Thanks for that Rooster. I am trying like heck to figure out why in the world I nee to model this. But it is very cool and would be a very easy model to make.

I need that apron. But its far to close to accurate.

Since WHEN do you NEED to model anything? If it’s neat and you want to build the model, then just do it!

1 Like

Bruce you’re talking to Devon … :kissing: