Large Scale Central

Hawaii Railway Co. No 5 at C.A.M.A.

Last weekend Marilyn and I spent several hours at the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association Fall Festival. No visit would be complete without a bunch more photos of Hawaii #5

CAMA also has a short Mining Railroad as a static display…

No post is complete without the restored Tionesta Valley Railway caboose 111…

But I’d rather photograph breathing machines…

The weather was great and we had an enjoyable time in Kent. Looking forward to next year.

Nice, Jon… :slight_smile:

Beautiful day and beautiful pictures. Very nice.

Tom

Great pics and some really terrific rolling stock! The loco is a real beauty. Is it 30" gauge?

Are those temporary trucks under the caboose?

That’s a good picture Jon with the gold leaves framing it. Glad you got the setting right on that one…:wink:

Ray Dunakin said:

Great pics and some really terrific rolling stock! The loco is a real beauty. Is it 30" gauge?

Are those temporary trucks under the caboose?

Ray - 36" gauge and yes, shop trucks on the caboose. Been like that for 3 years. Not sure when they are going to restore some trucks for it.

And did you notice the D&RGW “covered” Gondolas in the background?

Ken Brunt said:

That’s a good picture Jon with the gold leaves framing it. Glad you got the setting right on that one…:wink:

It would be better if the house wasn’t there. I think this might be a Photoshop candidate. I kept checking the settings since I’ve had so many problems recently.

Jon Radder said:

And did you notice the D&RGW “covered” Gondolas in the background?

Well, I suppose you could not see it through the steam. How about in this one…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/post3/HRyCo5-09-14_11.JPG)

Jon Radder said:

Ken Brunt said:

It would be better if the house wasn’t there. I think this might be a Photoshop candidate. I kept checking the settings since I’ve had so many problems recently.

I agree with both of you guys here. I’d be shopping that house out for sure. And no, I still can’t see those gons, wish I could! But these are great pix, Jon,. Glad you had a good time & thanks for sharing!

Look down the track behind #5 in the last pic I posted (also below). There is a gas mechanical switcher with a small wagon behind it then one of two gondolas with a makeshift peaked roof over it. I have close-ups but they are in portrait format which is a little long for this site.

Am I wrong or does the Bachmann 1:22.5 EBT caboose have a similar profile to the caboose you pictured. Candidate for a kitbash?

Kind of similar. Both have angled sides on the cupola and a rounded roof. The boiler on the Bachmann Indy Mogul has a very similar boiler as well. I think Bachmann made that model in the 2-4-2 wheel arrangement once upon a time.

Maybe someday!

Lovely pictures .

I notice that the Caboose has canted sides to the top structure ; I am no expert , but that seems unusual and I can’t figure why they would be like that .

If I save my pennies , I’ll go and have a look , it really does look a nice place to visit .

Mike

Mike - That must be a Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge thing. The caboose is originally from the Tionesta Valley RR. A long defunct narrow gauge in North East Pennsylvania. It survived by being by used as a small home.

The East Broad Top in South Central Pennslvainia had a similar cupola design on their later cabeese, #27 and #28

(http://ebt.cvsry.com/EBT/101103-008.JPG)

Jon , thanks for the info , it seems that it is not widely used practise then .

I was looking (again) at the video posted recently of the 88tonner in the granite quarry , and some way through , down in the quarry , is an old and decrepit caboose with just such an arrangement .

Probably bought used from some line for use as a site office .

Mike

I did notice the peaked end of that gon through the steam, Jon. If I decide to make a model, I’d better look for a picture somewhere else! :wink:

How would you model those trucks?

Bruce Chandler said:

How would you model those trucks?

Why would you model those trucks ??

:wink:

Shop trucks till they can find something better.

Bruce a couple of pony trucks could stand in for them