Large Scale Central

Grass killer?

The B1-RDS have been busy this spring, dropping grass seed where it hasn’t been before.

Is there a grass killing chemical that I can spray on my garden that will leave the broad leaf stuff alone? I am so tired of pulling grass, only to find it back again in two days.

Lasso.

This looks like a pre-emergent. In any case, its use is banned in the European Union, because its use poisons people.

Are there any other alternatives?

…more railroad…

Seems that everything useful is banned in the EU.

Same here in Ontario, Canada. RoundUp is not easily found here, for example…

At one time “Liquid Bleach” (Javex) was touted as a fair way to get rid of some weeds, by spraying it full strength from the container. Has anyone had luck with that ?

It is rather inexpensive, so it probably isn’t much use.

Fr.Fred

I’m not looking for something that is broad spectrum, I’m looking for something that specifically targets grassy weeds and leaves the broad leaf stuff alone.

Ask your agricultural extension agent -

So, following Phils advice, I did just that, checked with the Ag Extension Office. Here is what he said. It can be done, the chemicals are expensive, but worth it. They can be applied any time of the year, but you must wear protective gear, more so than for Roundup. Apparently, this is nasty stuff. Chemical protective gloves, goggles, hat and boots, plus coveralls. Then burn the stuff (just kidding). Long shower afterwards is recommended. Spray on calm day only, and set your sprayer to big drops to prevent overspray. The label is the law. It takes about three weeks for the stuff to be fully effective. The chemicals are sold under the brand names of Proast and Fusilade. There are many sources, even Amazon, surprisingly, so a search engine is your friend. You probably won’t find this stuff at your local big box orange or blue store, though. A well stocked full service garden or ag store will probably have it, though.

On, on!

That sounds like nasty stuff, are you going to try it Steve?

I think so.

I use vinegar for killing unwanted vegetation. It runs a few dollars per gallon and can be found at most grocery stores. Mix a couple teaspoons of dish soap with a gallon of vinegar. Some folks add about 1/2 cup of salt to the mix. Spray onto the plants you want to kill.

Vinegar isn’t harmful or toxic like chemicals. It will kill most vegetation, though it sometimes takes more than one application. I’ve had best results spraying when it’s warm and little chance of rain. Plants in sunlight tend to die quicker with few applications.

Dwayne Weyrich said:
I use vinegar for killing unwanted vegetation. It runs a few dollars per gallon and can be found at most grocery stores. Mix a couple teaspoons of dish soap with a gallon of vinegar. Some folks add about 1/2 cup of salt to the mix. Spray onto the plants you want to kill. Vinegar isn’t harmful or toxic like chemicals. It will kill most vegetation, though it sometimes takes more than one application. I’ve had best results spraying when it’s warm and little chance of rain. Plants in sunlight tend to die quicker with few applications.

I understand, Dwayne. But, what I am looking for is something specific for grasses. Grasses that grow up in broadleaf groundcovers, with the seeds provided by willing and prolific B1RDS. I have tried pulling the grasses, but that is a loosing proposition. The vinegar is a broad spectrum weed killer, not caring what kind of plant it burns.

I plan to get some next spring, and try it in an area where I won’t be devastated if it makes the broad leaf stuff sick, or even mostly dead.

Steve, that stuff your Ag Extension suggested may not be available to the general public without having some certification that you’ve had training in it’s use. My oldest boy had to take a class offered by the Penn State Ag extension a few years ago, to get certified just to even get near that stuff, let alone use it. Just a heads up…:wink:

No doubt. I’ll have to look into it. However, this is still the wild west… (http://www.freerails.com/images/emoticons/Moosie.gif)

And they prefer that over Lasso? You can use lasso to keep grass out of your vegetable garden!

Tom, how well does Lasso work when the grass grow in the ground cover? Does it kill the ground cover, as well?

Maybe you need to"anti-aircraft" the B1rds

Married to a farmer for 12 years:

Use lasso to keep grass from growing among your broadleaf plants.

Use 24D to keep broadleaf plants from growing in yoru grass.

Use Roundup to get rid of the whole works and start over.

Now, one day, she decided to spray 24D around the round flower garden 'cause there were a lot of weeds. She got out her sprayer, the yellow one, not the white one. Sure she had 24D in it, she sprayed all around the round flower garden. EVERYTHING croaked. “I was sure I used 24D last time!”

You can tell 24D from Roundup by the smell. 24D smell “fresh,” like after a rain, and Roundup smells spicy. She used powdered lasso. The white sprayer was for insecticide.

Susan didn’t have any avianicide.

Anyone use PREEN weed preventative?

We, in So. Calif., have had good results spreading the finely ground “pellets” on the tilled ground around the broad-leaf plants. So far no plants dying. It is promoted as a pre-emergent product (not to be confused with federal Obama Care rules). PREEN is the brand name. Home Depot carries it.
Wendell