Large Scale Central

Grandpa Jay's new indoor layout

This is my first layout plan. Comments will be appreciated. Right side is R3, left side is R1.

Jay

Go with largest curves as you can !

I think R1 is tooo small.

The room on the left is only 11’ wide.

Jay

Jay Root said:

Jay

Oh yeah, Grandpa Jay…I’d make that curve at least eight foot, and use the pop-out you’ve got there for access. You won’t regret it, I don’t think.

What about this

You could send the line from the bottom of the left room thru the wall,and run along the wall in the room on the right, giving you more room for a bigger curve.

John Passaro said:

Jay Root said:

Jay

Oh yeah, Grandpa Jay…I’d make that curve at least eight foot, and use the pop-out you’ve got there for access. You won’t regret it, I don’t think.

Pop out or Chimney? A post methinks and too tight for more than R1… Best would be to continue a perimeter run omitting the go behind the post route.

What length locos and cars do you want to use? My suggestions need that info.

John

edit: to say I confused JP’s pop out with the post while I believe he meant the smaller room …

Is the room entrance under the stairs?

i have (too) little room as well.

but R1 restricts the choice of locos and roling stock very severe.

after some tests with a big hauler and some 16" cars, i came up with “R1 and a half”. - meaning, that i bent curves so, that the outer rails of R1 track served as inner rails for the new curves.

including some space for overhang that left me with a tabletop of 5 foot width.

adding the bare minimum of 2 and a half foot width for access, that would leave 3 and a half foot width for the table/track on the right side of the smaller room.

Korm Kormsen said:

i have (too) little room as well.

but R1 restricts the choice of locos and roling stock very severe.

after some tests with a big hauler and some 16" cars, i came up with “R1 and a half”. - meaning, that i bent curves so, that the outer rails of R1 track served as inner rails for the new curves.

including some space for overhang that left me with a tabletop of 5 foot width.

adding the bare minimum of 2 and a half foot width for access, that would leave 3 and a half foot width for the table/track on the right side of the smaller room.

And again depending on the size of locos and rolling stock your R1’s may be fine. If you plan on only running 4 driver locos and ultra short cars?

Or Maybe you want 1/29th modern trains or 1/20th narrow gauge trains, either of which won’t work well on the small curves…

As John said we need more info to help you answer your question.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Can’t comment on the layout plan as I’m clueless on that stuff.

I will say “Welcome Grandpa Jay” and you will get many opinions here on LSC. However I’m personally a huge fan of do what you want and what works for you! We love pictures here as they speak louder than words.

I will also say we can “NEVER” have to many grandpa’s on LSC!!!

I have a grandpa Ken and a Pap Wilson but a Grandpa Jay is awesome!

Oh geez, here we go AGAIN…please drop the 8’ or nothing nonsense!

How many times do I have to point out that indoors usually means using sharper curves depending on the space allowable. I have been using R1 for years, yes you can’t run a Dash 8 or a Big Boy but there are tons of stuff that work on R1.

Now that said, assuming that purple square is a post or chimney, and I can see that the access door is right next to it, I can see why you planned it that way.Now if you are planning on running larger stock then utilizing R3 might be desirable,you could put the curve inside the room with a lift out bridge for access to connect to the other room eliminating the dual trackage, but keep in mind if your rolling stock requires R3, then ALL of your turnouts will also need to be R3, the turnouts here look like R1, so if your planned rolling stock works with R1 then you’ll be fine and the layout as such will be fine.

Don’t be afraid of R1s

I have only R1’s indoors and can run the LGB Unitah (2-6-6-0) with no problem. I even run a Aristo SD-45 with a tow bar with no problem!!

Yeah it has overhang but when testing out a loco in the winter with 2 foot of snow on the RR it works for me.

The only LGB engine I could not run with cars was the Genesis, coupler was outside the curve but tow bar addressed that real quick.

I am still in the planning stage. Thinking about switching layout. There will be one liftout bridge into the right side room. Does anyone have a link to the construction of a turntable? Still working on the steps to insert photos?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_6544/Grandpa%20Jay’s%20Photos/New%20Layout2.jpg)

Vic Smith said:

Oh geez, here we go AGAIN…please drop the 8’ or nothing nonsense!

Jay, if you’re curious as to why Vic gets exasperated with us 8-foot or 10-foot minimum or nothing guys, take a little look-see at what a creative imagination can do:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/20-large-scale-events/20821-visit-borracho-springs-swgrs.html

When Vic says “Don’t be afraid of R-1 curves” he ain’t blowing smoke!

Gentlemen

This is my new revised track plan. The bench work is completed and the track is laid out for tryout. I am using track power and looking for loose LGB connectors. I have found only a few. I am trying to get started with JMRI operations. I have setup a box car (loaded) in Varina. The route is the Rawls Turn that goes from Varina to Rawls and continues on to Varina. I can not get the program to find the car that is in Varina. This JMRI is not a simple program to learn.

Jay

Jay, if you need help on JMRI or DCC, I’m happy to help you.

You can do it here, on a new thread in the DCC forum, or by private email.

Once you show JMRI who is boss, it submits.

Greg

We’ve had several discussion about JMRI in the past.

Some of these might help:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/19562/train-ops-to-jmri

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/19708/jmri-questions

Looking at the build log, which can be tedious, can usually help you find why something isn’t doing what it should.

I found on mine it wasn’t moving a bunch of cars. Found out in the “Car Roster” those, for some reason, had been marked as cabooses.

Good links Ken, I need to read those threads.

Mostly using JMRI for programming locos, archiving CV settings and inventory.

May come back to you with some questions, won’t pollute this thread myself.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Good links Ken, I need to read those threads.

Mostly using JMRI for programming locos, archiving CV settings and inventory.

May come back to you with some questions, won’t pollute this thread myself.

Greg

Greg, there’s not much in there for what you are looking for, since we’re all Bat/RC, and mainly just use it to build a manifest. But if I and anyone else has an answer to a question, we’ll try to help.

I have made a little progress on the JMRI. I now have the engine making the run but still no cars. I will be running track power for now with one engine. It looks like the program could not find a track at destination location. This is from the build report. I now have 6 cars entered and the build report finds all 6 of them.

Jay