Large Scale Central

Grandpa Jay's new indoor layout

I agree with ken. Spend some time with the build logs and you will eventually figure out why cars are not moving.

BTW, myself and a few others don’t let JMRI pick the locomotive or caboose. That is left up to the crew.

I have been beating this program for several days and finally got it to run the train. Not sure what I did to make it work? Spotted a car and added another location. It still works???

Question: Where are trains built? Should there be and engine storage track? How do you get report or switch list to print or include in reply?

Jay

Another question.

My layout is basically a oval. If I run North/South and start out going North. Does the train continue to run North all the time? Or at some point does it turn around and go South?

Jay

The way mine is set up, Delores is at the western end and Porter at the eastern end. I have an oval, but I also have a Point A where the train originates, travels eastbound as one train and a Point B where it terminates, where it turns around and becomes a west bound train. The oval part has a wye as part of it where trains at either end can use it.

Here’s a picture of what I’m talking about:

That’s Delores on the left. A train will originate here and travel to my left through a couple more towns and end up in Porter, on the right, where it will terminate. The wye is there to the left of Porter, where it can turn and become the next train, which originates in Porter and terminates in Delores. Both Delores and Porter branch off from the oval, which is the track directly in front.

Thank you Ken. Does anyone know of an operating session that is held near North Carolina that I could visit?

Jay

Just started on the Liftout Bridge.

Jay

Nice start Jay.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks

Second side finished, now the cross pieces.

Jay

Temporary installation, still a duck under.

Jay

Gentelemen

My track layout has two locations that would be better serviced by a South bound freight, Willow Springs (1 Spur) and Apex (2 Spurs). Both could be serviced by using the Yard Track to runaround. I could add a runaround track for Apex, that would leave Willow Springs that would need to use the Yard Track for runaround. I think that I will have to limit my train length to about 5 cars.

Suggestions?

Jay

Run the trains slow, so the distance appears to be longer.

Grandpa Jay

Aren’t you getting a bit old for duck unders? I know I am myself!

Looks Good though

Jay Root said:

My track layout has two locations that … Willow Springs (1 Spur) and…

Dang, if I had a layout it would be fun to have ‘imaginary interchange’ at Willow Springs since my electric traction outfit is named Willow Creek Traction.

And with most of its stock being based on Hartland 4 wheelers or scratchbuilds it is pretty much designed for tight curves.

Rooster: Getting down is not the problem, getting back up is. I’m only 77, kees still work, it’s the lower back.

I think that I will try the runaround in the yard and see how it works. Depends on cars in yard.

Jay

Yea, I am a bit younger, and it is the getting back up that is the “challenge”.