Large Scale Central

Good enough or strive to perfection. Apologies to Craig

I better not join “ProtoModeler.com” as I just wasted a good hour or two reading a 29 page thread on a kitbash on a HO scale model…

http://www.protomodeler.com/index.php?/topic/585-9-40cw-ns-9134-ns-9694/

Here’s a sample of the guys work.

I can admire the craftsmanship of a 15 piece model the size of a dime, but not my style. I long ago decided that my hobby is “playing with trains” and if it makes me smile from four feet away that’s good enough.

As they say in England “it’s a broad church”. The hidden gem of this hobby is that the church is big enough to have all folks attend and do what makes them happy. There is no “right” or “wrong” way to play with your trains.

Mike McCormack

Happily playing with live steam and New Haven Railroad electrics in “G”.

Interesting read from the past which brings to mind a new question:
Have your thoughts stayed firm as time has passed?

Dave,
Nice to see this thread pop back up. Short answer is yes. It certainly takes me longer to build things or I end up redoing them. I just built a trestle and every bent was built twice because I screwed up the first time.

I’ve redone a lot of builds because I didn’t like the quality nod my craftsmanship. Am I perfect? No. But I made them to the best of my ability at the time. Case in point, I just raised my workbench 5 3/4" to make my mini table saw flush with the workbench top. I added drawers underneath. They are horrible. But I’ve never made drawers before and I learned a few things along the way.

My modeling skills are much better than my wood working skills! :joy:

1 Like

Ah, but you have Devon around the corner for his woodworking skills and he owes you drawers after the reference to your sister. :sunglasses: :innocent: She does sound quite the athletic type.
Craig, I’m hoping others will join in for further discussion also.

Dave,
My 2 sisters are crazy they both said they wanted to do things for their 40th birthday. One ran Boston Marathon, and the other did an Ironman. They asked me what I was going to do for my 40th?

My response “build a railroad in the backyard”. Since then they and their husbands have convinced me that it would be fun to ski down Mt. St Helens after hiking/skiing to the top.

1 Like

I just read through this topic and found it interesting.

My personal approach is to strive to create scenes that are caricatures of reality, pushing certain aspects to evoke a response (usually, it’s “wow, you are way more patient than I am!”). I enjoy treating the models like building a set for a play. I don’t try to get everything realistic but instead realistic-enough but sometimes exaggerated because it’s a caricature.

I have a question for Craig: this seemed to be partly inspired by your Snow Dozer thread. I notice that you abandoned it because you were burned out.

That’s my main worry about getting too into the details. I don’t want to burn out. It’s supposed to be fun.

You said (a couple of posts up here) in response to a question about if your thoughts had stayed the same:

Would you say that the Snow Dozer type model is not something you would try again?

Not trying to judge you at all. Fun is different for different people. Just commenting on the part of the hobby that I find fun. And overdoing the details would burn me out waaaaaay faster than for you, I’m guessing.

Different strokes for different locomotives, as they say…

Cheers!

2 Likes

After 7 years and personal situations changing I see improvements in my skills and a larger skill platform to work from. Some modeling methods have changed with acquired skills yet basics remain basic.
I do still tend to search for hidden gems. Items outside the mainstream are always on my radar. Time involvement has not changed so much as I keep it as a hobby not a job. If not being enjoyed I set it aside and tend to yard work.

Jim,
I haven’t completely abandoned the snow dozer build. I will finish it. One of my issues was the front cab area. I haven’t really thought about it too much lately but at some point it will get finished.

However since this thread was first made and I was working on the snow dozer, I had 2 more kids, over 3 times. :joy: Life gets in the way sometimes! The snow dozer stares at me every time I walk into my garage. I’m working on building my layout at the moment ( about 1/2 way done after 3 years in this house) but once I get a layout operational I’m tackling some long over due projects such as the snow dozer.

And too add Jim,
I’ve realized I have a lot of small mistakes that keep creating larger issues with the Snow Dozer. At times I’ve been tempted to start all over. One of the issues that haunts me is the frame isn’t square by a few scale inches. It might not seem like a lot, but when the front is 8’ 6" and the back is 8’ 7" is causes some issues. I may end up laser cutting the parts. I’m not sure yet.

So you are off by 0.05 inches (in actual measurements) and that haunts you? Wow. I have no words. I am not sure I can measure that precisely!

(1 inch / 24 is 0.5 ish)

It might be more than a scale inch but it’s enough to be annoying. I’ve got my eyes calibrated to see a .005-.010" difference pretty easy. I know strange…

This concept is exactly what has me struggling to decide on a project for the Mik. I know if I get too involved in project details that I won’t finish. For both of the projects that I have considered, I have intricate details. In the case of Saltillo Station, WAY too intricate…

If I do free-lance then it won’t matter if my windows and sill details match the prototype exactly.

1 Like

How in the world does that happen? :grin:

Great discussion!

I’ll describe my experience, if that’s ok. On a project where I’m trying hard to be prototypical, I have a hard time dismissing features or dimensions I’d overlooked in the first build, if they were within my intended “scope.” And I’ll feel compelled to correct it.

But sometimes, going into a project, I know darn well that I’ll be only able to go so far, like make suggestions of this or that, and call it a day. And maybe apologize in advance that that’s what I’ll be doing, haha! Conflicted sometimes…

But, ultimately, if one is modeling something to scale, one has to draw the line somewhere. Like, what size of screw will have threads showing. How realistic will the hair and clothing be on characters. Will the wood grain be accurate for the stated species of wood. Or will the composition of mortar be real or painted. Or will the tree branches have the proper average number of leaves or needles seen in nature.

I’m making very absurd examples, only to make the point that it’s a matter not of if one draws the line on faithful miniaturization or replication of detail, but where.

For me at least, this has been a liberating realization. I get to pick the where. And that selection should be driven by the intersection between the detail vs. time line, and the fun line. If that makes any sense…

Just my crazy thoughts, FWIW.

I always joke the 10’rule is too detailed for me, but I want in some things Ray Dunakin /Craig T/ Jim Rowson and others levels of fit finish and detail. BUT I know my skill level for building things is just not attainable. So like others I see the faults, mistakes in my builds and hope I can do better the next time. My fist publicly shown build was the BBQ for the MIK several years ago, and I am now contemplating a remake or repair, due mainly to skill level MAY be a little better. Do what you can with the tools and skill level. Hope to one day see the snow Dozer running and even plowing snow.

Pete,
We all grow as builders over time. My first ever scratch build project was in 6th grade for a school project. We had to do some research about a Pacific Rim/Pacific Northwest theme. Mine was on the then new idea in Seattle of commuter rail/light rail. I remember buying some styrene sheet from the hobby store and building what I thought a light rail vehicle would look like. I remember even back then not being too happy about it but I had no clue on scratch building or anything. The next big project I did was a repaint and “detail” of a SW 1500. I never even stripped the original paint!

Growing pains. And I’ve discovered that quality tools help build quality projects.

Typically, only the builder will see the faults. The rest of us will just admire it for the workmanship and effort that was put in. Not only that, but after it’s out on the layout for a bit, even the builder won’t remember to see the faults. :yum:

1 Like

And having the right tools helps, quality or not.

1 Like

I see model trains as a hobby where skills are learned and improved on over the years. I have had projects sit on the back burner such as a Beyer Garratt and a 250 ton crane just waiting for my skills to catch up with my aspirations. I built both a several years back and I am rather happy with the results but I know if I built them today they would be even better.

If I’m building for outdoors like I am with the sand house for the Mik challenge I build to the Good Enough standards because being outdoors the fine details don’t survive in my yard.

Good Enough to me means conveying the theme of the build and the imagination fills in the blanks.

I like that thought process, Todd! Nice work, but not so nice that an accidental bump or mishap ruins it!