Large Scale Central

Going to be an interesting Fall

In the last month I managed to pick up two old Northeast Narrow Gauge kits. I’ve always wanted to try some of these, so if El Nino has me holed up this winter, I’m ready. (PS any hints or advice welcome) :grin:


s-l400

1 Like

Vic,
I did a coach a few years ago - Jim Ralston owns it now, I think. Here’s my thread:
https://largescalecentral.com/t/beating-the-boredom-neng-short-combine-kit/80254

P.S. You can edit your title, should your phone miss-spell something.

Dam autocorrect. My new phone seems to think every word is wrong :confused:

Thanks Pete thats an interesting build thread. Surprisingly the Derrick and Idler car kits don’t come with trucks, I wonder why? :crazy_face: I’ll be using some trucks I have set set aside.

Hey Vic,

I built several of their kits over the years, some can be a bit of a challenge. Be certain to take your time de-burring and filing all of the mechanism pieces and rods.

Have fun!

Don

Thanks Don, the Porter looks like a real challenge. I bought a completed Porter model a few years ago so I have something to help guide my build. It was built to pull a battery car behind so I had to build a tender with track power pick-ups. I want to build this kit as track powered, I think thats going to be the biggest challenge here.

Looking forward to following these builds, Vic. Good luck with the Porter!

1 Like

Got the Derrick kit today and well, its just the boiler and hoist drum…not even the Stinson planset. Here’s my message to the seller.

Um…where’s the rest of the kit? The listing indicated that it was a complete kit, minus the trucks. But all the box contains is the parts for the boiler and hoist drum. Looking again at the post the parts shown correspond with what I received so I’m not going to blame you. Now I know these Ted Stinson kits could be extremely wonky but I would expect that at least it would have included the plans for the two cars and a parts list but no other documents are there. Going now to see if I can dig up the original Stinson car plans. Don’t worry I will post positive feedback, just wanted to vent a little.

Not their fault, they did post pics of contents and its what I got. They probably got it incomplete and didn’t realize it was incomplete. Need to figure out what to do with it. I’ll see if I have the planset in my files.

What a drag, I’d have had my hopes up as well.

Maybe plans were published in GR? I searched, and December 2007 is a possibility. Unfortunately all my mags are deep-sixed in boxes during our basement overhaul, otherwise I’d check.

I checked my stash and didn’t have it. I might just freelance it using a couple of flat cars or rework it as a cargo load or something for next year’s Mik?