Large Scale Central

Glitches

Hi all,

I guess it would be OK, to have one thread for the glitches we discover.

Today’s: I seem to remember unchecking the “realistic form”, but it still shows up. AND now I can’t find the location where I unchecked it.

It’s under File / Preferences and it works for me.

Jon Radder said:
It's under File / Preferences and it works for me.
Right you are ;) it's still not checked and I still get the Form 19 report. So it's back to RTFM and figure out what should and shouldn't show up.

The realistic option only affects the switch lists. But, I like the idea that it would control the Form 19s as well.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
but it still shows up.
Ah-ha! IT was the form 19's. Don't want 'em? Then don't put any instructions in the boxes :)

I should listen to my own advice. Every train comes with several pages of Form 19’s. Some of them say stupid things like “CAUTION: Lift Bridges Westbound” - If I can’t remember to put the safety in when I open a bridge, I’m sure not to read a Form 19 that reminds me not to drive the train into the abyss :smiley:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh now I get it! As I said RTFM! I thought the “realistic” was referring to the Form19.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh now I get it! As I said RTFM! I thought the "realistic" was referring to the Form19.
Yes, Bruce went to a lotta trouble to write that thing, so the least you can do is read it.............it will ease his writer's cramps.....;)

Heres a couple I ran into in the last 24 hours with Build 39:

New “Equipment Location” window only shows cars spotted at industries. Cars waiting in yards don’t show up.

Build a Train tree:

1. Un-checking a car at the destination properly adjusts the train, but if you un-check an town, the car still seems to be scheduled to go there.

2. Once you start messing with check marks (off, then on again) the behavior is odd. For example Un-check a town, nothing much happens. Check it again and the cars un-check. Un-check it again and the cars check.

3. Can’t change Loco or Caboose once a train is built. Go to Details and the original engine and caboose are not in the drop-downs. If you make a change in the train but don’t change the loco/caboose the forms will reflect the original selection. If you try and change the loco and/or caboose it looks like it takes the change, but the forms still have the original.

Reports / Forms

I know the logo was temporarily disabled to get around a problem if the logo path was bad, however there are still some problems launching Acrobat Reader if there is a valid path in the Logo field. This seems to be random. Sometimes it will launch, other times it won’t. Haven’t figured out the exact conditions.

I have the same problems with the Adobe thing, but found if I open Adobe before I open the TrainOps program, it works fine.

Still getting loaded cars to industries that request empties. ???

The problem with cars not getting unloaded is most likely caused by adjustments to the “physical layout”. Deleting and re-entering the cars fixes that problem.

The “when empty return to” function is almost a must to make sure that cars that carry commodities only from A to B and never in the other direction, stay in the proper rotation. Typical NA example would be milk cars. :wink:

True, but right now there are no ‘commodities’, so the ‘return to’ isnt in there.

Still having problem making a mixed train “turn” work. My Eastbound train terminates (and Westbound originates) the end-of-track. In the Physical Layout I called this a siding but not a yard. I DID NOT mark it as a place for empties.

When I run the Eastbound turn, it drops an empty in this siding. The Westbound turn should take this car back to the interchange, but doesn’t. Even if I advance the date several times the car stays on the siding as an empty. I have no industries that call for an empty of this type so it should go to the interchange.

After advancing the date a few times the Westbound finally has something to do - pick up an empty tank that should go to the interchange. The Westbound turn serves the interchange but terminates at a passenger station one “town” beyond the interchange yard and two towns beyond the main yard. The empty tank doesn’t go to either yard, but stays on the train when it terminates at the station.

Looking at the car locations after the Westbound terminates, the tank is back at the industry where it originated, so obviously the program can’t leave the car at a place where there is no siding.

Do all trains need to terminate at a yard? Routing a train through a town that has a yard doesn’t seem to be good enough.

Bob McCown said:
True, but right now there are no 'commodities', so the 'return to' isnt in there.
OK so we wait for the commodities.

Still puzzled why loaded flat cars show up at an industry that has no “ins” and only “outs” using box cars. ??

Same puzzle as ending up with four tankers in the wood log transfer instead of the tankfarm at the end of the line. ??

At least now some of the traffic is flowing - on the 'puter, on the puter - and I figured out the routine for two of the branchlines. Those two use part of the mainline before branching off.

On the misrouted cars: I guess it helps to edit the “stuff” in the “Terminate a train” form. :wink:
Which brings up the next point, according to the manual (at least the way I read it) the “Off Layout” column is adjustable?? Or does that refer to the selection in “Preferences”? What triggers a car to go “Off Layout” or rather how do I prevent that since the cars on my GMRR are not supposed to do that, except at one interchange??

The manual is incorrect. It needs an update. You’d think that the manual writer would try to keep it up to date, but… :wink:

The off-layout thing was put in so that you wouldn’t run with the same set of cars each session; some cars would disappear for awhile and reappear later.

If you don’t want that to happen, you could go to preferences and make the off-layout time be zero.

Hi Bruce,

I had tried the preferences route. When I set the Off Layout to “0”, up pops the “Please enter an integer between 1 and 1000” message. ??

One more:

Cement traffic happens from A to the following stations: B, C, D. I run a designated Cement train (first train of the day) which sets out loaded hoppers at B. Later on the wayfreight runs the same route and invariably tries to pick up the hoppers at “B” since they are still “loaded”. Should there be a state called “unloading” after loads have been set out at the (industry) destination???

Next one:

As mentioned some of the loaded cars end up at one end of the line with four industries along four sidings. HOWEVER incoming loads invariably end up at the first of the sidings/industries (first in the tree order).
I’ll shift that siding/industry to the bottom of the heap to find what’s going.

It also appears that certain cars establish a captive service routine i.e. shuttle between the same two points.

Build 40 has just installed.

Result: for the first day it livened things up, lots of action. Subsequent days, the cars are being shuffled between yardmaster and industries. Why wouldn’t they be routed right to the requesting “Out” industry? The cars are stuck!
Lots of “unable to build train”.

Destinations that show in the terminating list don’t correspond to what the switchlist shows i.e. they always end up short of the destination and need correcting.

I’ve just posted .41. I backed out of some get-empty-car changes, and temporarily disabled the foreign road code. Disabling the foreign road code will give me one target to fix instead of two right now. Stay tuned.

Bob,

41 installed.

I advanced one day, then two more. All I get are “Unable to build train” messages on all 8 (4 pairs) trains. :frowning: :frowning:

The cars are sitting at three different End of line points, all but two indicating empty, but they sure won’t move. ???